Share a Thanksgiving recipe!

>

First of all, my Mom was a great cook. I swear Norman Rockwell could have come by our house on Thanksgiving to get ideas for his paintings. She made the typical Green Bean Casserole with Campbell's Mushroom Soup and canned Green Beans. It was really good.

A few years ago I was on a Food Network binge and watch Alton Brown make a fresh Green Bean Casserole and since it was just before Thanksgiving I said - "Hey, I can do that."

I did and it was FREAKING AWESOME, I swear to God that if you do this you will never go back to canned beans and soup.

Two slight modifications that I make:
1. Instead of using white button mushrooms, for this one time a year dish I substitute a mixture of mushrooms - typically some white button, oyster, shiitake, baby portobello, and/or chanterelle mushrooms. Same or slightly higher mushroom content than Alton calls for.

2. I cheat, I don't make my own fried onions, I use store bought. The first year I made my own and the effort wasn't work the result, the next year I used the ones from the store and it was better than my own. They just start out crispier.​

Food Network Link -->> Best Ever Green Bean Casserole Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
Recipe details plus video.

YouTube of video only. Video is about 5-minutes.

>>>>

I love him and will watch this video later. He makes cooking fun! :)

I love thanksgiving dinner most of what I make are traditional dishes with some updated twists

I usually start with a squash or pumpkin soup in little pumpkin bowls (no washing dishes after)

I make cranberry sauce with champagne instead of water and add some orange zest

I like a meat stuffing but my wife prefers bread stuffing we do a stuffing with pecans apples and dried cranberries and yes we cook it in the bird

But I have to say that I love breakfast the day after better
I make a savory turkey omelet with cranberry cheddar onions asparagus and sun dried tomatoes and I use the left over mashed taters and stuffing to make little cakes and fry them until crispy and then dress them with a little gravy I serve and apple cranberry compote along with it

I love thanksgiving dinner most of what I make are traditional dishes with some updated twists

I usually start with a squash or pumpkin soup in little pumpkin bowls (no washing dishes after)

I make cranberry sauce with champagne instead of water and add some orange zest

I like a meat stuffing but my wife prefers bread stuffing we do a stuffing with pecans apples and dried cranberries and yes we cook it in the bird

But I have to say that I love breakfast the day after better
I make a savory turkey omelet with cranberry cheddar onions asparagus and sun dried tomatoes and I use the left over mashed taters and stuffing to make little cakes and fry them until crispy and then dress them with a little gravy I serve and apple cranberry compote along with it

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing! :) I have a recipe for a delicious cranberry salad at the beginning of this thread. I like it much better than cranberry sauce, but the champagne substitution sounds very interesting.

Forum List

Back