Shameful Japanese

bluesky79

Apr 21, 2008
On the way back home from shopping at Tokyo Shin-Okubo, an angry mob of rightists were demonstrating holding the rising sun flag high up in the air. The large demonstration of rightists who are upset about the territorial dispute regarding Dokdo and the comfort women issue, consisted of more than 100 people, many of who waved the militaristic rising-sun flag. Things got nastier after the march ended, when the marchers broke off into smaller groups and confronted the shopkeepers with even more hostile remarks, such as 'Kill Korea,' 'Fuck Korea.' However, these acts are unscrupulous of the Japanese because I couldn't find any sign of repentance nor self-reflection. Their violent and agressive acts do nothing but degrade Japan's image. As long as Japan has no statute against hate crimes, this kind of ethnic and racial discrimination will remain out of control. Half a century has passed since the end of the last world war, but the issue of territorial disputes is being used as a new pretext to abet what are long-term trends.

ugc

Really? You really want to compare a nonviolent protest by a small (unconfirmed) number of protestors with what has been going on in Korea and China over the past few weeks? Really? Where were the burning flags? The vandalized shops and cars? People (including children) being beaten?

Maybe you don't want to go there.

Really? You really want to compare a nonviolent protest by a small (unconfirmed) number of protestors with what has been going on in Korea and China over the past few weeks? Really? Where were the burning flags? The vandalized shops and cars? People (including children) being beaten?

Maybe you don't want to go there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVK4skFOebI]일본 극우 태극기 밟기. - YouTube[/ame] <--

THE SHAMEFUL JAPANESE CROSSED THE LINE. THEY WENT TOO FAR.

Where were the burning flags? The vandalized shops and cars? People (including children) being beaten?

That's the kind of thing that has been going on in China and Korea over the past few weeks.

On the way back home from shopping at Tokyo Shin-Okubo, an angry mob of rightists were demonstrating holding the rising sun flag high up in the air. The large demonstration of rightists who are upset about the territorial dispute regarding Dokdo and the comfort women issue, consisted of more than 100 people, many of who waved the militaristic rising-sun flag. Things got nastier after the march ended, when the marchers broke off into smaller groups and confronted the shopkeepers with even more hostile remarks, such as 'Kill Korea,' 'Fuck Korea.' However, these acts are unscrupulous of the Japanese because I couldn't find any sign of repentance nor self-reflection. Their violent and agressive acts do nothing but degrade Japan's image. As long as Japan has no statute against hate crimes, this kind of ethnic and racial discrimination will remain out of control. Half a century has passed since the end of the last world war, but the issue of territorial disputes is being used as a new pretext to abet what are long-term trends.

ugc

Japan has its right wing reactionary nationalists, too.

Making the stupidity of 100 people into the definition of the Japanese zeitgeist is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Uncle Ferd says dey's sittin' onna gold mine...
:eusa_shifty:
Japan overlooking secret economic weapon: women
Mon, Nov 26, 2012 - In next month’s general election, politicians — nearly all of them men — will make promises on what they will do to fix Japan’s economic morass. Very few of them will even mention women.
The country’s problems are well known: More older people are living longer as the workforce that supports them gets smaller. The result is rising welfare costs and a shrinking tax base. An influx of immigrants would boost the number of workers, but Japan has little appetite for migration on a European scale. Observers say the answer lies within: Get more of the nation’s women to work. IMF managing director Christine Lagarde said last month that women could rescue Japan’s chronically underperforming economy if more of them had jobs. A Goldman Sachs report in 2010 estimated that Japan’s GDP could jump by a staggering 15 percent if female participation (currently 60 percent) in the workforce were to match that of men (80 percent).

The report says seven out of 10 women leave the workforce after their first child, and only 65 percent of women with a college-level education work. Women across the board earn only 60 percent of what men make, according to labor ministry data, in part due to a larger number of part-time workers. Although for some women, staying at home is a positive choice they have made, commentators say for others it is a lack of opportunities. Japan is ranked 101st out of 135 countries in the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) annual Global Gender Gap Report, down three places from last year. China is at 69th. “The gender issue is really ignored in Japan,” said Kaori Sasaki, president and CEO of consulting firm ewoman. “Japan was strong for five, six decades after World War II because a certain group of men occupied top positions in the fields of economy, media and politics,” she said. “This boys’ network shared the same values and made decisions unopposed.”

However, its failure to adapt to the challenges of the past 20 years means Japan has stood still. Japanese government data shows women account for a mere 1.2 percent of executives at 3,600 listed companies. Sasaki said Japanese men need to realize the effort to close the gender gap is no longer a rights issue. “This is a management and growth strategy,” she said, adding that scandal-hit companies — including Olympus, which hid US$1.7 billion of losses and Tokyo Electric Power, the operator of the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant — would have been better at dealing with their disasters if they had a more diverse senior management. “When you try to manage crisis, create products or design services, diversity really counts,” she said.

Saadia Zahidi, the WEF’s head of gender parity and human capital, agreed. “How is the innovation going to happen if you have the same people in exactly the same situation as in the past? So where are the new ideas going to come from?” she said at the launch of a special taskforce in Tokyo on Thursday. Masahiro Yamada, professor of family sociology at Tokyo’s Chuo University, says it is not just a case of Japan needing women if it is going to do things better. Rather, he says, it needs women to become workers — and realize the financial gain that this entails — just to survive. “Unless more women work and get their own incomes, they cannot start a family,” Yamada said. “Without women joining the workforce, the government’s tax revenue won’t pick up” because the population will continue to shrink, he said.

More Japan overlooking secret economic weapon: women - Taipei Times

I was stationed in Korea 88-89. Wanna' guess what the usual reaction from the locals was when I told them I was married to a Japanese?

China, Japan and Korea have been hating each other for thousands of years.

Reasonable, educated people in each of those countries are more than capable of keeping all this stuff in perspective. I know lots of people in/from all three countries who are embarrassed at how their compatriots sometimes behave over these things.

Reasonable, educated people in each of those countries are more than capable of keeping all this stuff in perspective. I know lots of people in/from all three countries who are embarrassed at how their compatriots sometimes behave over these things.
That's what they say to your face. Can you speak any of those languages?

Listening in on the Japanese when they think you don't understand can be a real eye opener.

The Dokdo issue is also provoking violent anti-Japanese protests in Korea and it cannot be dismissed as a matter of extremists on both sides and even the educated class is not immune from this cultural conflict stemming from Japan's colonial rule in the pre-war era. The best option for the Japanese government is just to drop the issue altogether and the US implicitly recognised that Dokdo was Japanese territory in a secret memorandum below but it declined to intervene on Japan's behalf and the dispute is stirring up nationalist sentiment in the Korean population to a dangerous level.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg7aQyypnXY]South Korea protests against Japan's claim to islets - no comment - YouTube[/ame]

161ds77.jpg

^Outgoing Telegram by Dean Rusk, Secretary of State to U.S. Embassies to Korea and Japan (Mar. 27, 1961).

Last edited:
That's what they say to your face. Can you speak any of those languages?

I can get by to varying degrees in all of those languages. Nice try.

The Dokdo issue is also provoking violent anti-Japanese protests in Korea

Violent protests are something of a national pastime in Korea, and the Takeshima issue certainly does inflame the passions of many.

You're going to get right wing bums in every society. It isn't just Japan - look at the amount of right wing demos in Germanys these days. And the amount of them only seems to be increasing...

I've been stationed in Japan and Okinawa. My wife and I also have a home in Yucca Valley California very close to the 29 Palms Marine Corps Base there.

When we went into town the Marines are always very polite and well dressed, they're just perfect gentlemen. They're easy to spot because of their haircuts. My wife and I were in the movie theater and there was three of them making quite a bit of noise during the show show I asked them to keep it down and you know what their response was?

"Oh ok, were sorry sir!" Perfect gentlemen!

It's a different story overseas. In Japan they just act like Badass Gangster Rappers, even the Air Force weenies do it. If you see one off base and just say "what's up" or nod your head, most of the time they'll just look at you like they wanna' throw down.

Also, Okinawa is way too small to host all that Military. How many troops are there now, 50,000? The island is only 64 miles long, you can't get away from them no matter where you go.

I was stationed in Korea 88-89. Wanna' guess what the usual reaction from the locals was when I told them I was married to a Japanese?

China, Japan and Korea have been hating each other for thousands of years.

Every Asian ethnicity hates the Japanese now.

After their Asian Tour during WWII, who can blame them?

:dunno:

ugc

I am curious as to what you would consider a proper hate crime statute. Would you make it illegal for protesters to burn the Korean flag in Japan, for example?

ugc

I am curious as to what you would consider a proper hate crime statute. Would you make it illegal for protesters to burn the Korean flag in Japan, for example?

That's funny. Try applying that same law in reverse in Korea!

Forum List

Back