'Shamed' Austrian man kills family with ax

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
(CNN) -- An Austrian man has confessed to killing five members of his family with an ax, Vienna police said Wednesday.

The man walked into a Vienna police station early Wednesday and told authorities he had killed his wife and 7-year-old daughter early Tuesday, police spokesman Michael Braunsperger said.

The man, a self-employed public relations consultant according to The Associated Press, said he had also murdered both his parents and his father-in-law in the cities of Ansfelden and Linz, respectively, the spokesman said.

Police found the five victims, who had all been killed with an ax, Braunsperger said. The man said his motive was "financial difficulties."

"He said he'd been speculating on the financial markets and had lost everything, so he ... wanted to spare his family the shame," Braunsperger said.

more ... http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/05/14/austria.family/index.html

Hmmm ... to be shamed or have one's head split with an ax. GMAFB.:eusa_eh:

Severe Depression can cause this. It does not excuse it though. Having been in a hole that deep and thought those kind of thoughts I know where he was. You actually believe that you are doing something good for the family. You are so sick you actually think killing them is somehow good for them.

Again not an excuse just an explanation of how or why people think that way. In my opinion knowing this does not equate to any lenient sentence or excuse for the actions.

Severe Depression can cause this. It does not excuse it though. Having been in a hole that deep and thought those kind of thoughts I know where he was. You actually believe that you are doing something good for the family. You are so sick you actually think killing them is somehow good for them.

Again not an excuse just an explanation of how or why people think that way. In my opinion knowing this does not equate to any lenient sentence or excuse for the actions.

I understand what you're saying, but he needs to be locked up for a LONG time.

I understand what you're saying, but he needs to be locked up for a LONG time.

When I went in the hospital the first time it was because I thought those things. I was severely Depressed. I thought about killing the Officers and SNCO that I considered the problem. I rejected doing that as it was not fair to kill unarmed people. I then decided to kill myself. I was headed home to do so and started think about how that would effect my family. And then I thought I should take them with me. That scared me. I knew I couldn't go home and that I was not safe to be around my family so I went to the only other place left to me. The Hospital.

When I went in the hospital the first time it was because I thought those things. I was severely Depressed. I thought about killing the Officers and SNCO that I considered the problem. I rejected doing that as it was not fair to kill unarmed people. I then decided to kill myself. I was headed home to do so and started think about how that would effect my family. And then I thought I should take them with me. That scared me. I knew I couldn't go home and that I was not safe to be around my family so I went to the only other place left to me. The Hospital.

I'm glad you pulled through. You are brave to speak publicly about that kind of thing, even if it's only a message board. It helps others who are suffering from depression when they hear of someone else who recognised it in themself sought help.

I'm glad you pulled through. You are brave to speak publicly about that kind of thing, even if it's only a message board. It helps others who are suffering from depression when they hear of someone else who recognised it in themself sought help.

A Senior of mine actually ask me to take him to the hospital a few weeks before that happened. His willingness to risk his career and ask for help was what I think gave me the strength to do the same.

You had the thought and sought help, he carried it out, I think you are worlds apart.You have grown in my estimation.

Forum List

Back