Shale Country Is Out of Workers and Dangling 100% Pay Hikes

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Someone with an Associate Degree earns more than a Master’s and a Commercial Driver’s License is worth gold. On the flip side, homes are almost impossible to get and apartment rentals are through the roof.

Where is this? Central Texas.

The oil industry has such a ferocious appetite for workers that it’ll hire just about anyone with the most basic skills. “It is crazy,” said Jazmin Jimenez, 24, who zipped through a two-week training program at New Mexico Junior College in Hobbs, about 100 miles north of Midland, and was hired by Chevron Corp. as a well-pump checker. “Honestly I never thought I’d see myself at an oilfield company. But now that I’m here -- I think this is it.”

That’s understandable, considering the $28-a-hour she makes is double what she was earning until December as a guard at the Lea County Correctional Facility in Hobbs. When the boom goes bust, as history suggests they all do, shale-extraction businesses won’t be able to out-pay most employers anymore. Jimenez said she’ll take the money as long as it lasts.

Much more @ Shale Country Is Out of Workers and Dangling 100% Pay Hikes

Pay raises and better benefits are we get when unemployment is low. And the lower it goes, the better it is for workers. That's a direct benefit of Trump's tax cuts.

Forum List

Back