Shagbook. Poor Mark Z.

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Shagbook won't take Facebook thrust lying down ? The Register

The "hottest place to hook up with local singles for no strings attached adult dating" is fighting back against Facebook's demand that it change its name.

Shagbook – an outfit based in Windsor, UK – has filed an Answer to Opposition with the United States Patent and Trademark office in response to Facebook's assertion that its use of the name "Shagbook" was a violation of the mega-social-networking site's trademark.

Although Shagbook's filing "admits that one definition of 'Shag' is 'to have sexual intercourse with'," they argue that there's nothing wrong with appending that mildly naughty term to the word "book".

Is Mark Zuckerburg completely unhinged?

They are obviously treading on the heels of his trademark, which he has to defend to an enormous and sometimes silly degree or lose it.

In this case, he has a lot to loose, so he is going to be ferocious about it. He really has no choice in the matter.

Terry Pratchett trademarks all his stuff that he can, and then charges very small licence fees as he likes fan-fictions that don't hurt his franchise. So you can usually get a licence from him for the equivalent of 5 us cents. But if you trespass and do something damaging, he will sue you down to your socks.

I don't know....I did a google search of sites using 'face' and 'book'.......quite a number of them, of course none of them social networking sites. It does not appear that Zuckerburg is suing any of them. From my observation this is Zuckerburg's attempt to use the court system to ward off competition.

Forum List

Back