Sgt Shamar Thomas, USMC

As a civilian, Mr. Thomas has a right to assemble and speak at a public protest. I don't know if he tried to pass as an active duty Marine, but others that have identified him as such need to bone up a bit on America's Marine Corps. He is way too chubby with weird facial hair. No way could he be mistaken for a Marine. A former Marine maybe.

Also, I'm not sure as to why he would wear the uniform in such a manner. It has brought too much negative attention to himself. On a couple of military forums I visit, and one Marine specific site, the general opinion is that he presents himself as a douche. There are also people digging into his actual service because some of his story isn't adding up. Personally I don't care one way or another. The First Amendment allows great latitude in self-expression.
I've been reluctant to express my feeling that this fellow's appearance and demeanor do not reflect any Marine Corps standard I'm familiar with, whether active, reserve, or former, but my frame of reference is the mid-1950s and I know things have changed a lot since then. So hopefully you're right and Shamar Thomas is some sort of poseur or misfit.

Because if he isn't the Corps has gotten really sloppy.

I don't see anything about him that would make me think the Marines "have gotten really sloppy". He's passionate about the American right to peaceful assembly. He expresses his convictions strongly but is not disorderly. He talks about honor and fighting for America. He obviously has pride in his country but not in what he saw happen last week (which I don't think anyone would defend).
Oh, and other than an officer's, anyone can wear cami's or whatever once you're out of reserve status. Otherwise, there would be no surplus stores. Officers are allowed to keep our uniforms even after the commission and reserve but not to wear them.
So while I still know very little about what the heck OWS wants, I wish more Americans were like this sergeant. I'd love to see millions of Americans talking about honor and country to our politicians.

As a civilian, Mr. Thomas has a right to assemble and speak at a public protest. I don't know if he tried to pass as an active duty Marine, but others that have identified him as such need to bone up a bit on America's Marine Corps. He is way too chubby with weird facial hair. No way could he be mistaken for a Marine. A former Marine maybe.

Also, I'm not sure as to why he would wear the uniform in such a manner. It has brought too much negative attention to himself. On a couple of military forums I visit, and one Marine specific site, the general opinion is that he presents himself as a douche. There are also people digging into his actual service because some of his story isn't adding up. Personally I don't care one way or another. The First Amendment allows great latitude in self-expression.
I've been reluctant to express my feeling that this fellow's appearance and demeanor do not reflect any Marine Corps standard I'm familiar with, whether active, reserve, or former, but my frame of reference is the mid-1950s and I know things have changed a lot since then. So hopefully you're right and Shamar Thomas is some sort of poseur or misfit.

I'm not making any excuses for the guy or anything but if he was a Marine and served in Iraq he probably went through some real hard times and may have PTSD, alot of guys who came back from Iraq and Afghanistan are struggling and look worse for wear, you can check out any VA Hospital in any major city if you don't believe me.

s-SHAMAR-THOMAS-large300.jpg
Okay. You're probably right.

I don't see anything about him that would make me think the Marines "have gotten really sloppy". He's passionate about the American right to peaceful assembly. He expresses his convictions strongly but is not disorderly. He talks about honor and fighting for America. He obviously has pride in his country but not in what he saw happen last week (which I don't think anyone would defend).
Oh, and other than an officer's, anyone can wear cami's or whatever once you're out of reserve status. Otherwise, there would be no surplus stores. Officers are allowed to keep our uniforms even after the commission and reserve but not to wear them.
So while I still know very little about what the heck OWS wants, I wish more Americans were like this sergeant. I'd love to see millions of Americans talking about honor and country to our politicians.

Very good points, I also don't see anything about this guy that would tell me the Marines have gotten sloppy. I served with some Marines in Kuwait on my last tour and all of them had crisp uniforms, were very professional and they had their shit together, this was as recent as 2007, I doubt that has changed.

Welcome to 'Police State America.' It's only going to get worse unfortunately. The Government has everyone tracked. They know exactly where you are at all times. They want to lock Citizens up for almost anything these days. And along with the Police State comes the 'Prison State.' Not all cops are bad though. Most are good and honorable but they are encouraged to behave like storm troopers. Their future promotions depend on their number of arrest and incarceration records. That's why you see them hauling Citizens off to jail for very minor offenses. It's the system. We need new leaders who respect the Constitution and care about Freedom & Liberty. Until that happens,we're doomed.

That is simply NOT TRUE. I made sergeant quicker than anyone before me in my department and I can assure you that my arrest and incarceration record had nothing to do with it.

As for the rest of it, I have to tell you that as a beat cop for a small city, we didn't have access to all of the "information" that you claim is out there. Friends of mine, who are still cops, don't have access to such information, if it exists. I'm not much into this conspiracy thingy.

Welcome to 'Police State America.' It's only going to get worse unfortunately. The Government has everyone tracked. They know exactly where you are at all times. They want to lock Citizens up for almost anything these days. And along with the Police State comes the 'Prison State.' Not all cops are bad though. Most are good and honorable but they are encouraged to behave like storm troopers. Their future promotions depend on their number of arrest and incarceration records. That's why you see them hauling Citizens off to jail for very minor offenses. It's the system. We need new leaders who respect the Constitution and care about Freedom & Liberty. Until that happens,we're doomed.

That is simply NOT TRUE. I made sergeant quicker than anyone before me in my department and I can assure you that my arrest and incarceration record had nothing to do with it.

As for the rest of it, I have to tell you that as a beat cop for a small city, we didn't have access to all of the "information" that you claim is out there. Friends of mine, who are still cops, don't have access to such information, if it exists. I'm not much into this conspiracy thingy.

How odd, considering that every cop I've know (even dated) said that arrest records were an important part of their evaluations.

How odd, considering that every cop I've know (even dated) said that arrest records were an important part of their evaluations.

Yes arrest and incarceration records are very important. I don't know where that poster worked as a police officer but this is the case for most police departments. Police are encouraged to arrest and incarcerate Citizens for even the most minor offenses. As to not having information,again i don't know where the poster worked as a police officer. The Police have access to almost every detail of citizens' lives. American Citizens are very easily tracked and monitored. This is done through various techniques. I could go through them all but it would take awhile. Just think and use some common sense and you'll quickly come up with a pretty big list of ways they track and monitor you. In my opinion the Nanny State/Police State is already here.

My best friends father who was a retired rank III Sergeant for the LAPD said it's an important part of your evaluation.

Either your dept. works very differently or you're lying.

listen up asshole,

Just because the guy was in the military doesn't give him card blanche to be slandering the NYPD..

I know much more about New York cops than you do, obiously, and every single time there is a major protest here, this kind of propiganda rears its head.

I can tell you for sure, during these protests the police are extra carefull when acting, in large part because of the bullshit, and they only act when necessary.

Yea, I'm sure randomly spraying protesters with law enforcement grade pepper spray is necessary.

Face it, you would be yelling at the police if he was doing this during a Tea Party rally.

I know many NYPD and LAPD. They are both exceedingly brutal when it isn't required.

I'm not saying all or even a majority is, but it happens.

The idea that even one of these officers was ramdomly pepper spraying into the OWS people is laughable.

I would be just as skeptical if the tea party made police brutality claims, but tea party people aren't liars, so they don't such claims.

The idea that even one was doing it is "laughable"? Really? Maybe you wanna watch this video.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QZKQwINZDQ]NYPD Officer Anthony Bologna's second unjustified pepperspray attack @ Occupy Wall Street - YouTube[/ame]

And, if you had seen what the former Marine was yelling about, you'd have to see the beginning of the video, because there was a police officer trying to pull some woman through a police barrier.

As far as doubts to his being a Marine because he has facial hair and is only wearing a camo blouse? Well, we have lots of Viet Nam vets who run around in fatigues and nobody bitches about them wearing uniform items.

Try again asshole, your bullshit is wearing thin.

Yea, I'm sure randomly spraying protesters with law enforcement grade pepper spray is necessary.

Face it, you would be yelling at the police if he was doing this during a Tea Party rally.

I know many NYPD and LAPD. They are both exceedingly brutal when it isn't required.

I'm not saying all or even a majority is, but it happens.

The idea that even one of these officers was ramdomly pepper spraying into the OWS people is laughable.

I would be just as skeptical if the tea party made police brutality claims, but tea party people aren't liars, so they don't such claims.

The idea that even one was doing it is "laughable"? Really? Maybe you wanna watch this video.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QZKQwINZDQ]NYPD Officer Anthony Bologna's second unjustified pepperspray attack @ Occupy Wall Street - YouTube[/ame]

And, if you had seen what the former Marine was yelling about, you'd have to see the beginning of the video, because there was a police officer trying to pull some woman through a police barrier.

As far as doubts to his being a Marine because he has facial hair and is only wearing a camo blouse? Well, we have lots of Viet Nam vets who run around in fatigues and nobody bitches about them wearing uniform items.

Try again asshole, your bullshit is wearing thin.

Mr. Thomas was a former Marine who served in Iraq, his service record checks out.

Very good points, I also don't see anything about this guy that would tell me the Marines have gotten sloppy. I served with some Marines in Kuwait on my last tour and all of them had crisp uniforms, were very professional and they had their shit together, this was as recent as 2007, I doubt that has changed.
I should say the video I watched was shot from Thomas' side and the way he was carrying on seemed very much out of line. I saw no indication that the cops he was ranting at had abused anyone. In fact they seemed bewildered by his raving. But the frontal picture projects a more favorable impression of him and you're probably right about the PTSD likelihood.

I should say the video I watched was shot from Thomas' side and the way he was carrying on seemed very much out of line. I saw no indication that the cops he was ranting at had abused anyone. In fact they seemed bewildered by his raving. But the frontal picture projects a more favorable impression of him and you're probably right about the PTSD likelihood.

Yes alot of our Troops who have come back from Iraq and Afghanistan are still dealing with what happened there and getting re-adjusted to civilian life, things you do on deployment stick with you, for example I still brush my teeth with bottled water because in Kuwait the water was not safe to put in your mouth supposedly and I cannot sleep without some kind of sleeping pills, I needed them to sleep over there because of all the stress I was under, bad habits you pick up on deployment last a fucking lifetime. You can tell by the way he mentions Iraq he is still dealing with it in his own way, something he saw those cops do brought back memories and probably set him off, just my take on it.

This disgusted me .
His name is not Sergeant Thomas. It is now Mr. Thomas.
His actions defile the uniform of the Marine Corps. Mr. Thomas once took and oath, that oath included the promise to, "defend the constitution of the United States of America against all enemy's both foreign and domestic"
I agree with the Occupy Movements rights to protest peacefully and LAWFULLY.
I too served this country as a Marine, I serve it still today as a law enforcement officer.
I would never wear any part of the Marine uniform as an attempt to impress others.
I would never display my decorations, ( and yes I have them as a matter of fact I have more than the afore mentioned individual) in a vulgar attempt to prove that some how I was better than the citizens that I protect.

It is clear that Mr. Thomas is looking more to grab his moment in the spotlight and feed his own vanity that the need to do the right thing, hence his rant that was made in front of a camera.

True heroism needs nor seeks public acknowledgment. A true hero does what has to be done, asks for no special favor and move on to the next task. That is the TRUE nature of a US Marine, something Mr. Thomas has lost.

Yes alot of our Troops who have come back from Iraq and Afghanistan are still dealing with what happened there and getting re-adjusted to civilian life, things you do on deployment stick with you, for example I still brush my teeth with bottled water because in Kuwait the water was not safe to put in your mouth supposedly and I cannot sleep without some kind of sleeping pills, I needed them to sleep over there because of all the stress I was under, bad habits you pick up on deployment last a fucking lifetime. You can tell by the way he mentions Iraq he is still dealing with it in his own way, something he saw those cops do brought back memories and probably set him off, just my take on it.

Thank you for your service. I have a friend who still gets the urge to buy flea collars for his boots when he sees them in the store.

This disgusted me .
His name is not Sergeant Thomas. It is now Mr. Thomas.
His actions defile the uniform of the Marine Corps. Mr. Thomas once took and oath, that oath included the promise to, "defend the constitution of the United States of America against all enemy's both foreign and domestic"
I agree with the Occupy Movements rights to protest peacefully and LAWFULLY.
I too served this country as a Marine, I serve it still today as a law enforcement officer.
I would never wear any part of the Marine uniform as an attempt to impress others.
I would never display my decorations, ( and yes I have them as a matter of fact I have more than the afore mentioned individual) in a vulgar attempt to prove that some how I was better than the citizens that I protect.

It is clear that Mr. Thomas is looking more to grab his moment in the spotlight and feed his own vanity that the need to do the right thing, hence his rant that was made in front of a camera.

True heroism needs nor seeks public acknowledgment. A true hero does what has to be done, asks for no special favor and move on to the next task. That is the TRUE nature of a US Marine, something Mr. Thomas has lost.

Thank you for your service. Semper fi.

We do have a Police problem in this country. They have become increasingly aggressive and brutal. Most Citizens now fear their Police. And it was never supposed to be that way. 'To Protect and Serve.' Somewhere along the line that honorable credo has been lost. They're treating their own fellow Citizens like they're the enemy. That being said, i don't want to blame our Police alone. They simply follow orders handed down to them from above. It's more of a Government problem in the end.

The Authoritarian Police State is obviously the goal for our Government. And they're getting us there pretty rapidly. The Police are just being used to make sure it happens. Unfortunately, it really does remind one of what was going on in Germany leading up to the rise of Hitler and the Nazis. This is some very scary stuff going on in our country right now. I guess we'll see if the American People go the way of the German People, and allow this Police State to happen. Only time will tell.

New Topics

Forum List

Back