SF proposes voting rights for non-citizens

I post that I would never want to live in NoCal, and Wry hallucinates some words I never typed.

The Haight still lives, I guess.

Nutcase.

"The Haight" does live, the entrepreneurs have opened "head shops" selling peace symbols and posters, tye dyed shirts and granny dresses and attracting tourists from all over the world. Much like the summer of love the street a few short blocks east of old Kezar Stadium is teeming with visitors all adding to the local economy, wearing flowers in their hair when not sitting on a dock by the bay.

Good. For those who like that sort of thing. I don't.

Tourists here come for history and seat of power, mostly, not freak show watching. My preference.

Having been to The District several times I concur, there is much to see and experience. I took both my sons there in the fall of their junior year in high school and had them visit the Vietnam Wall memorial where I intoduced them to some old friends. We walked the bridge to the national cemetary, visited Ford's Theatre, the Mall, the FBI and the Supreme Court. Of course we went to see the freak show too, I showed them how the freaks in the House and Senate stand in front of a camera and give a speech with no one in the chamber.

"The Haight" does live, the entrepreneurs have opened "head shops" selling peace symbols and posters, tye dyed shirts and granny dresses and attracting tourists from all over the world. Much like the summer of love the street a few short blocks east of old Kezar Stadium is teeming with visitors all adding to the local economy, wearing flowers in their hair when not sitting on a dock by the bay.

:lol: Where have you been, dreaming of the 60-70?:lol:

I haven't ever seen anyone wearing flowers in their hair for decades. Its teaming with drudged out street people and pit bulls. The only reason there is tiedie peace symbol crap is because its what sells to the tourists. Head shops are few but used clothes shops abound. :lol:

Are they talking about legal immigrants or illegal immigrants? The link doesn't say.

Non-citizen immigrants whose children are enrolled in San Francisco public schools...
it doesn't say? Seems like it says to me. I don't know about anyone else but I really don't care what people who aren't citizens of this country have to say about how we run things.
No, it doesn't make it clear...they could be talking about green card holders. Where I live there are thousands and thousands of legal immigrants that are not citizens.

Name a country you can move to and be able to vote Ravi. Pretty Please!!! :):):)

For S&M and others who relish their ignorance, San Francisco (and the entire Bay Area) has it's share of LW Fringers but to characterize an entire region (the fifth largest in the U.S.) as being all far left is typical for political hacks.
Much like the other top five metro areas the Bay Area is diverse and vibrant; it is unique owing to world renown universities and providing exceptional cultural, athletic and culinary opportunities. Of course all parts of our country have attributes worthy of praise, and having traveled extensively I appreciate the diversity and beauty of other areas.
I don't characterize everyone in Georgia and S. Carolina as racist morons, Charleston and Savannah are wonderful travel destinations (as long as one goes in the fall or spring). Having visited every region of our country it is worth noting that no one area has everything my home town offers.
To our north, the counties of Marin (Sausalito), Napa and Sonoma and Mendocino; to the South Santa Cruz (the real Surf City) and between there and The City, Mavericks - some of the largest waves to be ridden in the world; and to the East Lake Tahoe, Yosemite and some of the best downhill skiing in the world.
Only a fool, a liar or the willfully ignorant would characterize an entire region because a small but loud minority makes headlines. Of course fools, liars and the willfully ignoratnt are well represented on this MB (but not everyone, there is diversity here - once one gets past the RW echo chamber).

I post that I would never want to live in NoCal, and Wry hallucinates some words I never typed.

Nutcase.

Watch out for bad acid Ravi. ;)

it doesn't say? Seems like it says to me. I don't know about anyone else but I really don't care what people who aren't citizens of this country have to say about how we run things.
No, it doesn't make it clear...they could be talking about green card holders. Where I live there are thousands and thousands of legal immigrants that are not citizens.

Name a country you can move to and be able to vote Ravi. Pretty Please!!! :):):)
I'm not interested in what other countries do. America has been the leader in democracy since our founding.

Are you going to tell me now that cities and states can't govern themselves in a manner they see fit that doesn't violate the constitution?

Nutcase.

Believe me, I do! Doesn't look like you do though since you're looking at one poster and seeing another. :lol:

Good. For those who like that sort of thing. I don't.

Tourists here come for history and seat of power, mostly, not freak show watching. My preference.

Having been to The District several times I concur, there is much to see and experience. I took both my sons there in the fall of their junior year in high school and had them visit the Vietnam Wall memorial where I intoduced them to some old friends. We walked the bridge to the national cemetary, visited Ford's Theatre, the Mall, the FBI and the Supreme Court. Of course we went to see the freak show too, I showed them how the freaks in the House and Senate stand in front of a camera and give a speech with no one in the chamber.

I was arrested there back in 84 when the owner of the building painted over the Haight street Murial. About 5 of us protested and got a bit carried away first figuratively, then literally. I got a tour of two jails before the charges were dropped. :):):) At least I remember them being dropped? :eek:

Believe me, I do! Doesn't look like you do though since you're looking at one poster and seeing another. :lol:

Wow Ravi You are right!!! ;):):) You all look alike to me. ;)

I was arrested there back in 84 when the owner of the building painted over the Haight street Murial. About 5 of us protested and got a bit carried away first figuratively, then literally. I got a tour of two jails before the charges were dropped. :):):) At least I remember them being dropped? :eek:

SSSEEEEE its all you outsiders that cause the trouble...you come for a visit, you do your demonstrations cause, trouble and then leave. WTF??? Its not us folks, its them!:lol:

Last edited:
Non-citizen immigrants whose children are enrolled in San Francisco public schools would be able to vote in school board elections, under a proposed charter amendment for the fall ballot that Board of Supervisors President David Chiu will introduce Tuesday.

Chiu ran the 2004 campaign in favor of the limited extension of voting rights and said the idea deserves a second airing. He said an estimated 1 in 3 households with children in public schools are headed by parents who aren't citizens.

Allowing them to vote in Board of Education races would help boost their involvement in their children's education, Chiu said. ''And that helps improve the quality of the schools,'' Chiu said.

Read more: City Insider : New try to let non-citizens vote

:confused:

Well, I'm not moving to San Francisco anytime soon......

You live over 1000 miles away, why do you care? Ever heard of local governance?

Truth and Justice are not measured by miles, but relevance.

Have anything relevant of your own to add???

Not that it should matter to you but I did live 10 years in Santa Cruz.

Not just that, we are the United States. As we all should be concerned about the oil creeping its way towards the Gulf of Mexico States, we should also be concerned about the invasion thats taking place in our border States and the inaction of their elected officials.

Amen! And I second this one!

SSSEEEEE its all you outsiders that cause the trouble...you come for a visit, you do your demonstrations cause, trouble and then leave. WTF??? Its not us folks, its them!:lol:

Great State to play in. ;)

Are they talking about legal immigrants or illegal immigrants? The link doesn't say.

Non-citizen immigrants whose children are enrolled in San Francisco public schools...

Uh huh... and like I said

I really don't care what people who aren't citizens of this country have to say about how we run things.

Wanna have a voice? Become a citizen.

From the start New York maintained that before political weight or voice through the election process, one needed to swear allegiance to the country, part of the naturalization process. why not take a guess as to why that was and is so important???

Uh huh... and like I said

I really don't care what people who aren't citizens of this country have to say about how we run things.
Wanna have a voice? Become a citizen.
Thanks, Amanda, for jumping in and telling us how little you care...which didn't answer the question I asked to begin with.

:lol:

Forum List

Back