Sexual Predators in Our Schools

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Very interesting article - but long. Might want to print it out to read

What's Behind Today's Epidemic of Teacher-Student Sex?
By David Kupelian, World Net Daily
March 22, 2006

In today's sexually permissive school environment, just how prevalent is the teacher-student sex problem?

Get ready for a shock. According to a major 2004 study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education – the most in-depth investigation to date – nearly 10 percent of U.S. public school students have been targeted with unwanted sexual attention by school employees.

Titled "Educator Sexual Misconduct: A Synthesis of Existing Literature," the report says the mistreatment of students ranges from sexual comments to rape. In fact, says the study's author Charol Shakeshaft, professor of educational administration at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y., the scope of the school-sex problem appears to far exceed the clergy-abuse scandal that has recently rocked the Roman Catholic Church.

Comparing the incidence of sexual misconduct in schools with the Catholic Church scandal, Shakeshaft notes that a recent study by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops concluded 10,667 young people were sexually mistreated by priests between 1950 and 2002.

In contrast, she extrapolates from a national survey conducted for the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation in 2000 that roughly 290,000 students experienced some sort of physical sexual abuse by a public school employee between 1991 and 2000.

The figures suggest "the physical sexual abuse of students in schools is likely more than 100 times the abuse by priests," said Shakeshaft, according to Education Week.

Indeed, more than 4.5 million students are subject to sexual misconduct by an employee of a school sometime between kindergarten and 12th grade, says the report.

for full article:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49389

Great article, AA. I was reminded of my 7th grade teacher, who would "flirt" with the boys, wearing low-cut shirts, and bending over their desks. She was a highly regarded, popular teacher, just like in the article.

Very simply, we've forgotten what we as human beings actually are, and why we have been put here on this beautiful blue globe we call earth. We've forgotten that we're here to serve a much higher purpose than just fulfilling our own desires.
This is great.

It makes sense. If a person is sexually attracted to children, then they are going to seek ways to gain access to more children. ITs the same as a guy who works at a gym to check out all the babes. They are trying to increase their opportunities to "get some." With our society letting woman like that Hot blonde school teacher get away with it, then they are only encouraging more predators to do the same.

There should be no difference in penalty for a woman having sex with a boy and a Man having sex with a girl. Thats why the whole law needs to be revamped.

insein said:
It makes sense. If a person is sexually attracted to children, then they are going to seek ways to gain access to more children. ITs the same as a guy who works at a gym to check out all the babes. They are trying to increase their opportunities to "get some." With our society letting woman like that Hot blonde school teacher get away with it, then they are only encouraging more predators to do the same.

There should be no difference in penalty for a woman having sex with a boy and a Man having sex with a girl. Thats why the whole law needs to be revamped.

Women's rights activists would throw a FIT. Today is the age of claiming rights - special rights - for one's particular group. Want to legalize something? Call it a 'right' and label all who don't support your claim as a 'bigot'.

:(

Interesting that they draw a comparison between the number of incidents purpatrated by Catholic priests from 1950 onwards and those by teachers from 1991 onwards....

I wonder how many incidents there were (by priests) from 1991 onwards. I am too lazy too hunt down the numbers but obviously it has to be less than the 10,000 plus cited.

Adam's Apple said:
Very interesting article - but long. Might want to print it out to read

What's Behind Today's Epidemic of Teacher-Student Sex?
By David Kupelian, World Net Daily
March 22, 2006

In today's sexually permissive school environment, just how prevalent is the teacher-student sex problem?

Get ready for a shock. According to a major 2004 study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education – the most in-depth investigation to date – nearly 10 percent of U.S. public school students have been targeted with unwanted sexual attention by school employees.

Titled "Educator Sexual Misconduct: A Synthesis of Existing Literature," the report says the mistreatment of students ranges from sexual comments to rape. In fact, says the study's author Charol Shakeshaft, professor of educational administration at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y., the scope of the school-sex problem appears to far exceed the clergy-abuse scandal that has recently rocked the Roman Catholic Church.

Comparing the incidence of sexual misconduct in schools with the Catholic Church scandal, Shakeshaft notes that a recent study by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops concluded 10,667 young people were sexually mistreated by priests between 1950 and 2002.

In contrast, she extrapolates from a national survey conducted for the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation in 2000 that roughly 290,000 students experienced some sort of physical sexual abuse by a public school employee between 1991 and 2000.

The figures suggest "the physical sexual abuse of students in schools is likely more than 100 times the abuse by priests," said Shakeshaft, according to Education Week.

Indeed, more than 4.5 million students are subject to sexual misconduct by an employee of a school sometime between kindergarten and 12th grade, says the report.

for full article:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49389

Incredible. Can we all sue the school system for hiring teachers who engage in sexual misconduct??

I have an odd question.

Now i get the stopping kids from being raped and manipulated. I get young kids from having any kind of sexual encounters. But was it not 50 to 60 years ago when girls were getting married at 14 and 15 to men much older then themselves? What changed between then and now to make these girls unable to have sexual relations with boys or men (not that they don't now, just that society frowns upon it)? What happened in society to not be able to accept a physically mature girl having a sexual relationship with a man?

Boys it seems were always physically ready for sex at about age 15 and on. No one has the taboo feeling when a young boy has sex with an older woman as people do with an older man and a young girl.

My only theory is Women's Lib somehow had a part in it. Because that isnt a very long period of time and yet the change in though process is so drastically different now from then. I looked at my family history and my Great grandparents were 20 years apart. My Great Grandma was 15 when she married my Great Grandpa. So he was 35. Obviously they had i think 10 kids so she must've had sex with him at a young age. Why is it that our thought process can't grasp that concept now? Just a question to throw out there, not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers and this by no means justifies anyone that would prey on anyone else to get them to do sexual acts. That to me applies universally to anyone old, young, black, white. IF you manipulate your position of power to get sex, then you should pay the price. If you do it to children then it should be a higher punishment.

gop_jeff said:
Incredible. Can we all sue the school system for hiring teachers who engage in sexual misconduct??

I no longer have children in the school system, but if I did I would pay close attention to what my kids had to say about teachers' behavior in the classroom (political indoctrination, sexual advances, etc.). With all the reports that have been coming out in recent years, no one can say that parents haven't been sufficiently warned.

insein said:
With our society letting woman like that Hot blonde school teacher get away with it, then they are only encouraging more predators to do the same.

You're absolutely right about that. Women predators should receive the same punishment as men predators. It will be interesting to see what the public reaction is to the Florida case. In my opinion, these predators should lose their teacher's license, be barred from the teaching profession for life, and serve a mandatory prison term with psychological counseling required during the prison term.

insein said:
I have an odd question.

Now i get the stopping kids from being raped and manipulated. I get young kids from having any kind of sexual encounters. But was it not 50 to 60 years ago when girls were getting married at 14 and 15 to men much older then themselves? What changed between then and now to make these girls unable to have sexual relations with boys or men (not that they don't now, just that society frowns upon it)? What happened in society to not be able to accept a physically mature girl having a sexual relationship with a man?

Boys it seems were always physically ready for sex at about age 15 and on. No one has the taboo feeling when a young boy has sex with an older woman as people do with an older man and a young girl.

My only theory is Women's Lib somehow had a part in it. Because that isnt a very long period of time and yet the change in though process is so drastically different now from then. I looked at my family history and my Great grandparents were 20 years apart. My Great Grandma was 15 when she married my Great Grandpa. So he was 35. Obviously they had i think 10 kids so she must've had sex with him at a young age. Why is it that our thought process can't grasp that concept now? Just a question to throw out there, not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers and this by no means justifies anyone that would prey on anyone else to get them to do sexual acts. That to me applies universally to anyone old, young, black, white. IF you manipulate your position of power to get sex, then you should pay the price. If you do it to children then it should be a higher punishment.

I would say it is due to the general evolution of women from being financially dependent on men, generally barred from education, and having few rights (including voting), to (at least in the West) being able to fully function in society as the wish. In days gone by, many women saw marriage as their only future, and their ultimate security, so marrying an older gentleman was probably seen as a good thing.

insein said:
I have an odd question.

Not an odd question at all. Your observation is even more valid taking into account that girls enter puberty much earlier now than when Great Grandma married Gramps. Are people really expected to wait from age 11 or so until they graduate college to have sex?

Nuc said:
Not an odd question at all. Your observation is even more valid taking into account that girls enter puberty much earlier now than when Great Grandma married Gramps. Are people really expected to wait from age 11 or so until they graduate college to have sex?

This is a hard one for me. On one hand, I think people should wait to be married to have sex. On the other hand, I recognize that most girls have finished maturing, physically, by about age 16-17. So from a legal standpoint, I would think the age of consent ought to be 16 or 17 (it's 16 in WA), even though I would encourage my daughter - or anyone's daughter - to abstain from sex until they were married.

gop_jeff said:
This is a hard one for me. On one hand, I think people should wait to be married to have sex. On the other hand, I recognize that most girls have finished maturing, physically, by about age 16-17. So from a legal standpoint, I would think the age of consent ought to be 16 or 17 (it's 16 in WA), even though I would encourage my daughter - or anyone's daughter - to abstain from sex until they were married.
Finished maturing physically? Not completely. There is still a little growing to be done. Although the girl may have reached mensus, she can still have problems carrying babies if she is very young.

And, also, even though a girl may have reached mensus, that doesn't mean she is mature enough emotionally to understand all the implications of a sexual relationship.

mom4 said:
Finished maturing physically? Not completely. There is still a little growing to be done. Although the girl may have reached mensus, she can still have problems carrying babies if she is very young.

And, also, even though a girl may have reached mensus, that doesn't mean she is mature enough emotionally to understand all the implications of a sexual relationship.

I agree with your second paragraph, which is why I think that we have an obligation to encourage abstinence. But, physically speaking, most girls have finished blossoming into women by age 16-17, and I believe that is the intent of the age of consent laws: keeping physically immature girls (and boys, for that matter) from sexual relations until they are physically matured. I know there's a lot to be said for emotional maturity also, but heck, there are 40-year-olds who aren't emotionally mature enough to be hopping in the sack! :)

mom4 said:

So all of the marriages in history and the Bible involving 12-18 year old girls were pedophiliac in nature?

The question here is why is the age of consent going up when the age of puberty is going down and society is bombarding the youngsters with advertisements for sex?

Nuc said:
So all of the marriages in history and the Bible involving 12-18 year old girls were pedophiliac in nature?

The question here is why is the age of consent going up when the age of puberty is going down and society is bombarding the youngsters with advertisements for sex?

Exactly. This is beyond getting conflicting messages. It is insanity.

Nuc said:

I think from a legal standpoint, we shouldnt interfere with 2 people that wish to have consentual sex that are of physical maturity. From a societal standpoint, i think we need to teach our children the ramifications of having sexual encounters at such a young age. Pregnancy, disease, depression, etc. I think the only way to combat it properly is to raise your kids right. No law is going to stop them from having sex regardless. As a parent, you need to instill values in the children at a young age that teaches them right from wrong so that when the time comes to make a big decision like that, they can make it properly.

Again penalties for rape should be standard across the board. You rape a child it should be no less of a sentence then raping an adult. I would to it that sex with an unmature (physically) child should be considered statutory rape and come with a hefty penalty. We're talking ages 1-12 automatic rape. At that age, kids are still unaware of those kinds of things and don't know right from wrong even if a parent teaches them it.

Protect the young kids but don't penalize 2 consenting physically mature adults. I hate seeing those cases where a 20 year old guy is sent to jail for 7 years because he had sex with his 16 year old girlfriend. Wasting his whole life because he was attracted to a girl.

How many teachers have been caught with their hands in the cookie jar this week?

Especially the 25 year old "babe" teacher that had sex with a 14 year old male student and got away with it. The prosecution felt the publicity would harm the boy. She calls the incident "a bump in the road".... great attitude.

Then there's another who admits to having sex with 4 boys.

That's two this week...

So... uh.... where are all the Catholic bashing libs on this one? Oh sure, they'll prattle on about how horrible it all is, but forget about it. Then they'll start in on Catholic priests...

Forum List

Back