Sexual Predators in Our Schools

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Adam's Apple, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Very interesting article - but long. Might want to print it out to read

What's Behind Today's Epidemic of Teacher-Student Sex?
    By David Kupelian, World Net Daily
    March 22, 2006

In today's sexually permissive school environment, just how prevalent is the teacher-student sex problem?

Get ready for a shock. According to a major 2004 study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education – the most in-depth investigation to date – nearly 10 percent of U.S. public school students have been targeted with unwanted sexual attention by school employees.

Titled "Educator Sexual Misconduct: A Synthesis of Existing Literature," the report says the mistreatment of students ranges from sexual comments to rape. In fact, says the study's author Charol Shakeshaft, professor of educational administration at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y., the scope of the school-sex problem appears to far exceed the clergy-abuse scandal that has recently rocked the Roman Catholic Church.

Comparing the incidence of sexual misconduct in schools with the Catholic Church scandal, Shakeshaft notes that a recent study by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops concluded 10,667 young people were sexually mistreated by priests between 1950 and 2002.

In contrast, she extrapolates from a national survey conducted for the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation in 2000 that roughly 290,000 students experienced some sort of physical sexual abuse by a public school employee between 1991 and 2000.

The figures suggest "the physical sexual abuse of students in schools is likely more than 100 times the abuse by priests," said Shakeshaft, according to Education Week.

Indeed, more than 4.5 million students are subject to sexual misconduct by an employee of a school sometime between kindergarten and 12th grade, says the report.

for full article:
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49389

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Great article, AA. I was reminded of my 7th grade teacher, who would "flirt" with the boys, wearing low-cut shirts, and bending over their desks. She was a highly regarded, popular teacher, just like in the article.

3. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    This is great.

4. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    It makes sense. If a person is sexually attracted to children, then they are going to seek ways to gain access to more children. ITs the same as a guy who works at a gym to check out all the babes. They are trying to increase their opportunities to "get some." With our society letting woman like that Hot blonde school teacher get away with it, then they are only encouraging more predators to do the same.

There should be no difference in penalty for a woman having sex with a boy and a Man having sex with a girl. Thats why the whole law needs to be revamped.

5. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    True, Insein.

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Women's rights activists would throw a FIT. Today is the age of claiming rights - special rights - for one's particular group. Want to legalize something? Call it a 'right' and label all who don't support your claim as a 'bigot'.

:(

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Interesting that they draw a comparison between the number of incidents purpatrated by Catholic priests from 1950 onwards and those by teachers from 1991 onwards....

I wonder how many incidents there were (by priests) from 1991 onwards. I am too lazy too hunt down the numbers but obviously it has to be less than the 10,000 plus cited.

8. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Incredible. Can we all sue the school system for hiring teachers who engage in sexual misconduct??

9. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    I have an odd question.

Now i get the stopping kids from being raped and manipulated. I get young kids from having any kind of sexual encounters. But was it not 50 to 60 years ago when girls were getting married at 14 and 15 to men much older then themselves? What changed between then and now to make these girls unable to have sexual relations with boys or men (not that they don't now, just that society frowns upon it)? What happened in society to not be able to accept a physically mature girl having a sexual relationship with a man?

Boys it seems were always physically ready for sex at about age 15 and on. No one has the taboo feeling when a young boy has sex with an older woman as people do with an older man and a young girl.

My only theory is Women's Lib somehow had a part in it. Because that isnt a very long period of time and yet the change in though process is so drastically different now from then. I looked at my family history and my Great grandparents were 20 years apart. My Great Grandma was 15 when she married my Great Grandpa. So he was 35. Obviously they had i think 10 kids so she must've had sex with him at a young age. Why is it that our thought process can't grasp that concept now? Just a question to throw out there, not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers and this by no means justifies anyone that would prey on anyone else to get them to do sexual acts. That to me applies universally to anyone old, young, black, white. IF you manipulate your position of power to get sex, then you should pay the price. If you do it to children then it should be a higher punishment.

10. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I no longer have children in the school system, but if I did I would pay close attention to what my kids had to say about teachers' behavior in the classroom (political indoctrination, sexual advances, etc.). With all the reports that have been coming out in recent years, no one can say that parents haven't been sufficiently warned.