Sexual Orientation Conversion Therapy

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by George Costanza, Dec 7, 2012.

1. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    "Sexual orientation conversion therapy" is exactly what it sounds like - therapy designed to modify a person's sexual orientation. California has a law banning it in the case of minors. Recently, a federal judge issued a temporary injunction against the ban, opening the way for concerned parents to take their children to "sexual orientation therapists" if they feel the child may be heading toward the other side of the sexual fence.

Judge blocks ban on gay 'conversion' therapy - latimes.com

Some really interesting issues come out of all this, the most obvious being that the very concept of sexual orientation conversion therapy is based on the assumption that sexual orientation is a choice and can be reversed if the "wrong" choice has been made or the individual is headed in the wrong direction. This assumption is controversial, of course. Most scientific studies on the subject have established that sexual orientation is not a matter of choice but rather of genetics. Many disagree with these studies, holding that sexual orientation is a matter of choice.

In any event - even if sexual orientation is a matter of genetics and not choice, does that mean it cannot be reversed? Studies have shown that while obesity is more probably caused by heredity than enviornment, it can still be reversed by dieting and proper eating habits.

Setting those issues aside, what about the propriety of parents forcing their children to go through sexual orientation conversion therapy when, perhaps, the child might not want to do so? Doesn't a parent have the right to raise their child the way they see fit? Perhaps. Perhaps not. It depends. Few would argue that parents who were attempting to train their child to be a serial killer were acting properly while few would argue against parents attempting to teach their child to appreciate organized religion or to be a good athelete.

How do you feel about "sexual oreintation conversion therapy"? (To be honest, I didn't even know it existed until reading the above article.)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,533
    It's a multi-million dollar business ... emphasis on business.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Jimmy_Jam

Jimmy_Jam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +136
    First, I must say you've approached the issue pretty even-handedly. While to extremists that won't matter, to more rational people, it will.

That said, parents have been known to "force" their children to do lots of things: pick up their room, eat spinach, sit in "time out", go to church, do their homework, suffer cigarette burns, tolerate their siblings, mow the lawn, be touched inappropriately, etc. Some of those things are abusive, and some are not. The point is that the language "forced" has a negative connotation from the outset, even if the intent is perfectly healthy.

Additionally, let's say for the sake of argument that homosexuality is genetically influenced, and that it has been proven. Even in this case, does that mean that 100% of all gays are genetically predisposed to it? Of course not. To varying degrees, adult sexual preferences and behaviors can and do get influenced by childhood experiences and environments, so why is homosexuality an exception? As for environment, in today's culture, same-gender sexual "experimenting" is far more acceptable, even titillating, among women than it is among men. Is it coincidental that I am far more likely to see sexual behavior between two women portrayed in a movie than between two men? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad about that, but I think you get my point.

Again, you have treated the subject pretty evenly in your OP, but let's be honest, I'm sure you rest just a little left of center on this one, just like I rest just a little right. No, I do not see such therapy, in and of itself, as "abuse." I do, however, see the potential for abuse taking place in such a scenario, and it would be wise to be observant.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  4. mjollnir

mjollnir BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +94
    It's a fraud designed to remove dollars from gullible religious people. File is next to "Intelligent Design"

Nothing new there.

5. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,868
    It’s troubling that some would perceive the ‘therapy’ warranted in the first place.

6. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    A family member of mine successfully turned away from the Gay "lifestyle" and I know a girl at work who did the same (sorry guys, she's not good lookin') but what I get from this thread, and correct me if I'm wrong, is this:

People CAN be Born Hetero and BECOME Gay.
    People CANNOT be Born Gay and BECOME Hetero.

That person has either Been Gay all his life and suppressed it but no f*ckin' way has ANYONE been Straight his whole life and suppressed it. Oh you think a young person today WOULDN'T say he or she was Gay just to get along? They would.

So is that about rite?

7. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    Why would it be "troubling"?

Quick question for you: If you and your wife were expecting a child and the Doctors told you they can flip a DNA Switch that will GUARANTEE the Sexual Orintation of the child, which would choose?

There's no WAY I'd chose Homosexuality for MY kid.

8. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,533
    Many of those who "turned away from the gay Lifestyle" have been found frequenting gay bars. It's sad that a gay person would hate themselves so, that they'd pretend to have been "cured".

9. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,701
    Not that I agree with the idea of the therapy (I wouldn't personally suggest it to a loved one), but this sort of ban bothers me on a different level.

I do NOT want the government telling health care providers what sort of treatments and/or procedures they can and cannot do on a patient (at least any more than they already do).

These are self-governing professionals. The state needs to butt out.

10. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    my phrenologist recommended this, but i averred.