Sexual Misconduct in Buddhism

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I vow to cultivate responsibility and learn ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families and society. I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without love and a long-term commitment.

To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct.

Thich Nhat Hanh.

Note: No mention of homosexuality as misconduct.

The sayings of the Buddha, as recorded in the Pali Canon, do not include any explicit reference to homosexuality or to homosexual acts. This has been taken to mean that the Buddha did not consider that one's sexual orientation was relevant to his message, which was how to escape from suffering and achieve enlightenment. If it was not important enough to mention, homosexuality could not have been considered a barrier to one's moral and spiritual development.

Marriage and the raising of children are seen as positive but are by no means compulsory. On the contrary, celibacy is in most traditions considered to be a requirement for those seeking higher levels of development as Buddhists. Monks and nuns take vows of strict celibacy, and even pious lay people undertake to be celibate at certain times in order to pursue their mental and spiritual development. This means that from the religious perspective there is no stigma which is necessarily attached to being unmarried and childless, although there may of course be social and cultural pressures which override this.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Kerry Trembath wrote that Buddhists base ethical decisions on:

The consequences of one's actions: whether the end results are primarily negative involving injury or regret, or primarily positive involving pleasure and joy.

The universalibility principle: how we would feel if the action was done to us. A man committing adultery with another man's wife would not be acceptable because if the situation were reversed, one would feel angry and betrayed.

The instrumental principle: whether the action is helpful to our goal of Nirvana.

The person's intention: whether the action is motivated by love and kindness or manipulation and coertion.

Buddhism and homosexuality

What if the intention is movtivated by manipulation or coercion yet is beneficial to all?

• Banned
What if the intention is movtivated by manipulation or coercion yet is beneficial to all?

If the intention is negative the action is negative. That doesn't mean that some person can't find a silver lining in a cloud inspite of harmful intent.

Well, what if the intention was to keep a person alive through the use of threats and intimidation concerning the use of medication?

Does this actually fit the case I am trying to describe? A little more thought and I think I can find a Good/Evil set of examples that does benefit everyone involved.

• Banned
Well, what if the intention was to keep a person alive through the use of threats and intimidation concerning the use of medication?

Does this actually fit the case I am trying to describe? A little more thought and I think I can find a Good/Evil set of examples that does benefit everyone involved.

We're talking about sexual misconduct. Are you talking about medicating someone to have sex with them?

If you're talking about abusing someone into taking psych meds or other medication to keep them alive, I would say motivation is key here.

Is your motivation truly self-less or is it motivated by your own inability to bear with another being's suffering?

Neither scenarios have anything to do with sexual misconduct.

I don't think that those rules are written in stone , they are merely guidelines for the induvidual takeing the action, and it's up to the individual to decide whether the postive outcome outweights the negative.

We've all had a difficult year in our spiritual community. Things are improving, but it hasn't been easy for anyone.

Forum List

Back