CDZ Sexual Abuse - Are you safer in Church or in School ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Forgotten Study: Abuse in School 100 Times Worse than by Priests

There has been some discussion on another thread following a recent scandal in the Catholic Church.

A claim was made that schools are much worse than churches when it comes to child abuse and this article is being cited as proof of this.

I have my doubts about this. The article itself is quite thin on facts to back up the claims.

In fact the headline claim is actually a straight out lie.Here it is -

According to the 2004 study “the most accurate data available at this time” indicates that “nearly 9.6 percent of students are targets of educator sexual misconduct sometime during their school career.”

This is what the kids were asked -

During your whole school life, how often, if at all, has anyone (this includes students, teachers, other school employees, or anyone else) done the following things to you when you did not want them to?

Made sexual comments, jokes, gestures, or looks.

Showed, gave or left you sexual pictures, photographs, illustrations, messages, or notes.

Wrote sexual messages/graffiti about you on bathroom walls, in locker rooms, etc.

Spread sexual rumors about you.

Said you were gay or a lesbian.

Spied on you as you dressed or showered at school.

Flashed or “mooned” you. Touched, grabbed, or pinched you in a sexual way.

Intentionally brushed up against you in a sexual way.

Pulled at your clothing in a sexual way.

Pulled off or down your clothing.

Blocked your way or cornered you in a sexual way.

Forced you to kiss him/her.

Forced you to do something sexual, other than kissing.

By claiming the 9.6% figure was all down to teachers the article airbrushes all other perps out of the situation and ,in my opinion, creates a gross slander on the teaching profession.(this includes students, teachers, other school employees, or anyone else)

There is also a world of difference between -

And the actual rape of a choir boy.

The report raises important points about the way offenders, and victims, are treated by the system and the obvious need for change. But solutions are not given and in any case the report is 14 years old so most likely out of date.

Finally there is no mention of paedo activity in the Catholic church or any attempt to form a comparison. No studies seem to have been undertaken on this and,quite frankly, why would there be. Its a question that nobody would ever ask.

I conclude that the comparison has only come from this Christian news site and that it has been made in order to deflect from the very real problems faced by the Church.

In any case it isnt a numbers game. There are problems in schools and there are problems in all organised religions. I just think it is morally wrong to portray the teaching profession as a group of evil paedos.

Here is the link to the actual report. Perhaps I have missed something.

https://www2.ed.gov/rschstat/research/pubs/misconductreview/report.pdf

You've already made your mind up and wouldn't accept the facts anyway.

Clean up your own house before worrying about ours anyway. You have a Muslim rape problem.

You've already made your mind up and wouldn't accept the facts anyway.

Clean up your own house before worrying about ours anyway. You have a Muslim rape problem.
You have said that it is a "fact". However I can see nothing in this report to substantiate that. Show me the facts.

There has been some discussion on another thread following a recent scandal in the Catholic Church.

A claim was made that schools are much worse than churches when it comes to child abuse and this article is being cited as proof of this.

I have my doubts about this. The article itself is quite thin on facts to back up the claims.

According to the 2004 study “the most accurate data available at this time” indicates that “nearly 9.6 percent of students are targets of educator sexual misconduct sometime during their school career.”

During your whole school life, how often, if at all, has anyone (this includes students, teachers, other school employees, or anyone else) done the following things to you when you did not want them to?

Showed, gave or left you sexual pictures, photographs, illustrations, messages, or notes.

Wrote sexual messages/graffiti about you on bathroom walls, in locker rooms, etc.

By claiming the 9.6% figure was all down to teachers the article airbrushes all other perps out of the situation and ,in my opinion, creates a gross slander on the teaching profession.(this includes students, teachers, other school employees, or anyone else)

The report raises important points about the way offenders, and victims, are treated by the system and the obvious need for change. But solutions are not given and in any case the report is 14 years old so most likely out of date.

Finally there is no mention of paedo activity in the Catholic church or any attempt to form a comparison. No studies seem to have been undertaken on this and,quite frankly, why would there be. Its a question that nobody would ever ask.

I conclude that the comparison has only come from this Christian news site and that it has been made in order to deflect from the very real problems faced by the Church.

In any case it isnt a numbers game. There are problems in schools and there are problems in all organised religions. I just think it is morally wrong to portray the teaching profession as a group of evil paedos.

How about debunking some myths that you seem not to be able to let go of?

Six Myths About Clergy Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church

Three of your 4 articles quote the same report and the same figures that I debunked in the OP.
Let me save you some time.
You wont find any evidence ,other than anecdotal, to support your theory because it doesnt exist.

The other link is stating that the authorities are not very good at managing the issue, which I think we can all agree on.

They arent my myths and I am not in the catholic bashing game.

The issues are hard to compare because the causes are different, and the timing is different.

The main issue the Catholic church had was that in the early to mid 20th century it was seen as a refuge for devout men with homosexual tendencies. They ignored their sexuality and for some of them in manifested in the abuse. If you note the usual age of their victims, boys from 12-15 usually, that's probably when their own sexual development arrested. Add in their positions of power, and boys that age were the perfect victims for them. The Catholic abuse was more along the lines of pederasty than pedophilia.

The current "growth problem" in schools is mostly involving female teachers abusing their male students. This is spawned by the current trend of delayed adulthood found in both men and women. Add in the power differential as seen above, plus the fact that a portion of our population sees nothing wrong with some 15 year old boy getting laid by his teacher, and you have a current growing problem,

The Church while i admit still trying to cover up this, is facing a declining problem, as they have increased the screening procedures of potential priests, and are far more willing now to send offenders to the civil authorities.

They arent my myths and I am not in the catholic bashing game.
I didn't say they were "your" myths.

The issues are hard to compare because the causes are different, and the timing is different.

The main issue the Catholic church had was that in the early to mid 20th century it was seen as a refuge for devout men with homosexual tendencies. They ignored their sexuality and for some of them in manifested in the abuse. If you note the usual age of their victims, boys from 12-15 usually, that's probably when their own sexual development arrested. Add in their positions of power, and boys that age were the perfect victims for them. The Catholic abuse was more along the lines of pederasty than pedophilia.

The current "growth problem" in schools is mostly involving female teachers abusing their male students. This is spawned by the current trend of delayed adulthood found in both men and women. Add in the power differential as seen above, plus the fact that a portion of our population sees nothing wrong with some 15 year old boy getting laid by his teacher, and you have a current growing problem,

The Church while i admit still trying to cover up this, is facing a declining problem, as they have increased the screening procedures of potential priests, and are far more willing now to send offenders to the civil authorities.
The default position for most organisations is to cover up.The Church might be ahead of the game in terms of screening. And you are sppot on about societal attitudes to young lads getting laid by their teachers.
Why do these teachers get involved with their kids ? They must be damaged in some way before hand.

I find it suspect that "sexual abuse" can be defined in such a way that answering yes to the question as to whether you have been told a dirty joke in school qualifies.

To have any value, a study should include only actions between teachers and students as well.

Sexual abuse cases in Brooklyn's Haredi community - Wikipedia

If you turn in a sexual abuse in the ultra orthodox Haredi , you are ostracized for turning in another jew.

Sex-Abuse Cover Ups: The Mesirah Mess
That said, when you read Maimonides’ full explanation of mesirah, it gives one pause to wonder whether the time has come to eliminate it completely from the halachic lexicon. Maimonides, after all, was neither insular nor misinformed, and he lived in a society that was relatively benign toward Jews. Yet he writes: “It is forbidden to hand over a Jew to the heathen, neither his person nor his goods, even if he is wicked and a sinner, even if he causes distress and pain to fellow-Jews. Whoever hands over a Jew to the heathen has no part in the next world. It is permitted to kill a moser (informant) wherever he is. It is even permitted to kill him before he has handed over (a fellow Jew).”

Last edited:

The default position for most organisations is to cover up.The Church might be ahead of the game in terms of screening. And you are sppot on about societal attitudes to young lads getting laid by their teachers.
Why do these teachers get involved with their kids ? They must be damaged in some way before hand.

Look at Penn State as an example of a textbook cover-up.

For these female teachers, it's an easy lay with a controllable person. They probably do have issues, but so do most people. Add in the whole issue with society sometimes being more accepting of their abuse than say man-girl or man-boy, and there you have it.

even the woman-girl abuse gets less negative reaction when it happens.

I find it suspect that "sexual abuse" can be defined in such a way that answering yes to the question as to whether you have been told a dirty joke in school qualifies.

To have any value, a study should include only actions between teachers and students as well.

Agree, there has to be some sort of contact, at least making out.

Sexual abuse cases in Brooklyn's Haredi community - Wikipedia

If you turn in a sexual abuse in the ultra orthodox Haredi , you are ostracized for turning in another jew.

Sex-Abuse Cover Ups: The Mesirah Mess
That said, when you read Maimonides’ full explanation of mesirah, it gives one pause to wonder whether the time has come to eliminate it completely from the halachic lexicon. Maimonides, after all, was neither insular nor misinformed, and he lived in a society that was relatively benign toward Jews. Yet he writes: “It is forbidden to hand over a Jew to the heathen, neither his person nor his goods, even if he is wicked and a sinner, even if he causes distress and pain to fellow-Jews. Whoever hands over a Jew to the heathen has no part in the next world. It is permitted to kill a moser (informant) wherever he is. It is even permitted to kill him before he has handed over (a fellow Jew).”
Thats quite primitive.

Three of your 4 articles quote the same report and the same figures that I debunked in the OP.
You wont find any evidence ,other than anecdotal, to support your theory because it doesnt exist.

The other link is stating that the authorities are not very good at managing the issue, which I think we can all agree on.

this is just Chicago... and the democrats are ignoring this report as well..

http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/chicago-public-schools-sexual-abuse/

To better quantify the frequency of abuse in Chicago’s schools, reporters obtained and analyzed Chicago police data on such crimes from 2008 through 2017. Police investigated 523 reports that children were sexually assaulted or abused inside city public schools during that 10-year period, or an average of one report each week, the data show.

-----

In all, the Tribune closely examined 108 cases and identified 72 school employees as alleged perpetrators in the last decade. The rest were student-on-student sexual attacks.

You debunked nothing you Catholic bashing fraud. Clean your own house up and then worry about mine.

Let's start with your Muslim rape problem, then we'll move to your own government's involvement and coverup of kid rape.

this is just Chicago... and the democrats are ignoring this report as well..

http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/chicago-public-schools-sexual-abuse/

To better quantify the frequency of abuse in Chicago’s schools, reporters obtained and analyzed Chicago police data on such crimes from 2008 through 2017. Police investigated 523 reports that children were sexually assaulted or abused inside city public schools during that 10-year period, or an average of one report each week, the data show.

-----

In all, the Tribune closely examined 108 cases and identified 72 school employees as alleged perpetrators in the last decade. The rest were student-on-student sexual attacks.

Agan it looks like the authorities do not have adequate safeguards in place. That seems to be a common theme.

But further to that it does not invlidate the point I am making.

You debunked nothing you Catholic bashing fraud. Clean your own house up and then worry about mine.

Let's start with your Muslim rape problem, then we'll move to your own government's involvement and coverup of kid rape.
I destroyed that report and your only response is to abuse and deflect. Let me remind you that you are in the CDZ and you should come back with facts not abuse.

Forum List

Back