Sexless marriages thrust Japan to brink of demographic disaster

Discussion in 'Asia' started by -Cp, Apr 5, 2005.

1. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
  3. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363

"..The problem is that their husbands lose interest in sex or don't want sex from the start. Many men think of their wives as substitute mothers, not as women with emotional and sexual needs...."

The 200 women a year who seek help at a clinic in the Tokyo suburbs have not had sex with their husbands in up to 20 years, and some never, according to Kim Myong-gan, who runs the clinic.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Forgive me for my bluntness. 20 years? Well at that point, :wtf:

5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I deal with Koreans a lot because of my business and Koreans are much like the Japanese. Korean men will tell you that they have two wives. The mother of their children and then their real wife. The one they have sex with.

Many marriages are still arranged. Not in the sense they were even just 20 years ago, but if the family does not approve of a girl, you cannot marry her. Therefore, men end up marrying women they feel would make good children, but other than that, they want no part of the relationship. I have seen this up close and personal as I have met many of my clients' mistresses while having never met their married wives in over 10 years of knowing them. In only very few cases have I actually met the women the men are married to. Also, I hate to admit it, but my own brother-in-law is much the same. The last time I was in Korea he told me hadn't had sex with his wife in over 15 years (his wife is my wife's sister). He told me, "don't worry though, I have a nice mistress I will introduce you to one day....". I have known him for nearly 20 years now and this was the first time he ever confirmed to me that he had a mistress although I have suspected it for many years.

6. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    lol - that is a Korean name. She must be a Korean-Japanese. There are many of them.

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    This is NOTHING new as this has been in practice for centuries. Why now is it a problem? (not mentally for the women mind you, but in terms of creating a "demographic disaster"?)

8. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

LOL. Even if Japan has a declining birth rate, the natural rate of increase propably does not equate anything close to disaster.

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
  10. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Many men think of their wives as substitute mothers, not as women with emotional and sexual needs."

I've seen a lot of this here in America!

What a strange way to deal with things. Have kids and a family with one woman, but no other sex, but lots of sex with another woman and no family. Seems like this would be a huge detriment to father-child bonding. Sex is a bonding experience. If you don't bond with the mother, doesn't it follow that you wouldn't bond with the children of her body? And wouldn't a man want to have children with the woman he is in a sexual/love relationship with? Of course, my not being a man, maybe they feel differently about this?