Sexism in the Media

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
You heard it, SEXISM. It's running rampant. What's that you say? Women haven't been largely degraded in the media since the 70s? Yeah, that's right, and the fact that you brought it up is indicative of the problem. You automatically thought about sexism against women, when in fact, the problem is sexism against men.

During the past couple of decades, organizations such as NOW have been suing the pants off anyone who 'degrades' women in their broadcast. This has eliminated all stereotypes. You are no longer allowed to show women being simply housewives who cook, clean, and take care of the kids. Modern housewives have to at least be running a business out of their homes, as quitting a job to raise kids is "a waste of talent." Women are hardly portrayed anymore as moody, naggy, or many other female stereotypes. Even if they are portrayed as being such, they're doing it because they're clever enough to use those actions to manipulate. Women in media now are portrayed as clever, brilliant, and in control of everything around them, mostly men.

On the other hand, men have been getting the shaft. Every man on TV is gay/metrosexual, stupid, whipped, and/or crude. Every TV show and commerical shows the woman being the one who's really in charge, while she lords over the man easily, sometimes by letting him think he's actually in charge. And whenever the man isn't dangling from puppet strings, he's loudly watching football with friends while drinking beer and spilling chips and queso everywhere or he's belching, farting, or otherwise being a complete dolt. In fact, the only men who don't act like either a puppet or Larry the Cable Guy are gay. I find it quite degrading, and I'm sick of the double standard. I want Rob Petry and Ward Cleaver back. I'd even settle for Mike Brady just as long as we could get some realistic guys on screen instead of these idiots.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Hobbit said:
You heard it, SEXISM. It's running rampant. What's that you say? Women haven't been largely degraded in the media since the 70s? Yeah, that's right, and the fact that you brought it up is indicative of the problem. You automatically thought about sexism against women, when in fact, the problem is sexism against men.

During the past couple of decades, organizations such as NOW have been suing the pants off anyone who 'degrades' women in their broadcast. This has eliminated all stereotypes. You are no longer allowed to show women being simply housewives who cook, clean, and take care of the kids. Modern housewives have to at least be running a business out of their homes, as quitting a job to raise kids is "a waste of talent." Women are hardly portrayed anymore as moody, naggy, or many other female stereotypes. Even if they are portrayed as being such, they're doing it because they're clever enough to use those actions to manipulate. Women in media now are portrayed as clever, brilliant, and in control of everything around them, mostly men.

On the other hand, men have been getting the shaft. Every man on TV is gay/metrosexual, stupid, whipped, and/or crude. Every TV show and commerical shows the woman being the one who's really in charge, while she lords over the man easily, sometimes by letting him think he's actually in charge. And whenever the man isn't dangling from puppet strings, he's loudly watching football with friends while drinking beer and spilling chips and queso everywhere or he's belching, farting, or otherwise being a complete dolt. In fact, the only men who don't act like either a puppet or Larry the Cable Guy are gay. I find it quite degrading, and I'm sick of the double standard. I want Rob Petry and Ward Cleaver back. I'd even settle for Mike Brady just as long as we could get some realistic guys on screen instead of these idiots.

I've watched the transformation too but constantly remind myself that white men have used up all thier "rights" and it's everyone elses' turn to degrade us.

I was just in a conversation about this very topic - literally today, in my office.

:(

White Males are not protected, as a group...anything goes -unless have ONE redeeming quality - that they are gay. And if they happen to be a Christian, all gloves are off.

It's this femininization of America..

I was going to start a thread about this, particularly referencing the animated comedies in which the fathers are buffoons. I think they are mostly on Fox and Comedy Central, but we don't watch them, so my information is anecdotal. Anyone who does watch these shows, please comment (The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, for example ?). If they are as bad as I've heard, our kids are getting a sadly skewed impression of father figures.

Abbey Normal said:
I was going to start a thread about this, particularly referencing the animated comedies in which the fathers are buffoons. I think they are mostly on Fox and Comedy Central, but we don't watch them, so my information is anecdotal. Anyone who does watch these shows, please comment (The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, for example ?). If they are as bad as I've heard, our kids are getting a sadly skewed impression of father figures.

[bon jovi=on]
Shot thru the heart - and your to blame, darlin', don't give Family Guy...a bad name!

:D

-=d=- said:
[bon jovi=on]
Shot thru the heart - and your to blame, darlin', don't give Family Guy...a bad name!

Sorry, D! Just asking. Is Family Guy innocent of the clueless white male buffoon charge, or do you just like it regardless? :confused: :D

There are numerous reasons I would jump to the defense of shows like Family Guy and the Simpsons.

1) They are hysterical farces that make fun of absolutely everyone. Yes, Peter Griffin (the father in the Family Guy) is an ass, a slob, a drunk. But Lois, his wife, has been depicted as a Neanderthal, an anorexic drug user, a kleptomaniac, and interested in dating a monkey...no one is spared in this show.

2) This is a paradigm that has been used again and again since television was invented. The Flinstones, the Honeymooners, the Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy, the Cosby Show...all of them had some version of the husband/father not being as "in charge" as he thought he was. All of them to some extent were silly, some were even buffoons. And the women in these shows were beautiful, intelligent, talented...

For that reason, I don't think we should be blaming tv shows for the sexism in society (and I agree with you, it IS there). TV Shows have always just been about making people laugh with dumb stereotypes.

What I have a bigger issue with, is our cultures obsession with telling young boys that playing war is wrong, our culture's ever increasing habit of valuing empathy and emotionality over strength and resolve. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that being an emotional person is a bad thing...I am simply saying that the world needs both...strength and sensitivity. And as of late all we have been doing is weening the strength out of our boys, in favor of sensitivity.

In the future, when our nation needs men (and women) to stand up and fight for what they believe in...will anyone know how to do that? What it means?

Or will we all be too busy understanding how the bad guys feel to save ourselves and our nation?

I think that all the shows that show the father as an idiot, saved by the all knowing wife, ridiculous. If SHE was THAT smart, why did she marry such a loser in the first place, much less have children with him?

Worse yet, are the shows with two idiotic parents, and the gaggle of brilliant children. Give me a break!

Forum List

Back