Sex Crime Victim faces jail for tweeting attackers' names

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A Kentucky girl who was sexually assaulted now faces jail time for talking about it publicly.

Savannah Dietrich, 17, could be locked up on contempt-of-court charges for tweeting the names of her attackers after they allegedly got a sweetheart plea bargain, according to a published report.

Dietrich, who was molested while passed out at a party by the sick creeps, told the Louisville Courier-Journal newspaper that she was outraged because the boys were given a deal that she thinks is “very, very light.”

The judge in the case had further protected the sex fiends by placing a gag order that barred Dietrich from talking about what happened to her.

Read more: Sex-crime victim could be jailed for tweeting her attackers' names - NYPOST.com

I'm sure there's a lot more to this story, but based on this alone, how can a judge do that? If she fabricated something, then they have the right to sue for defamation, right? But a pre-emptive order? I don't get it.

Thoughts?

The judge paced a gag order based on the fact that the disposition is not final. That is standard in a lot of cases.

Kentucky Teen Faces Charge for Naming Attackers - ABC News

Personally, I think victims have the right to say whatever they want about a court proceeding to anyone they want. Courts disagree because they prefer a system that cuts their workload, but I don't think the judge will actually hold this girl in contempt.

Forum List

Back