sewing machine question

deaddogseye

Carpe Ukraine
Nov 16, 2011
on the edge
My daughter who is 23 wants me to get her asewing maching for christmas. She is a beginner taking her first class. I want to get her a good machine that she can grow into so i dont mind getting more than a beginner needs. Any general guidance or recommendations for specific machines would be appreciated. I know NOTHING about thses things. Thanks

I've bought a lot of sewing machines for a lot of women over the years, and I have one piece of advice.

Don't go crazy. Don't buy one that is expensive. Very, very, very few women use them. One summer day down the road, it will be in the driveway with a $10 price tag and a "Like New" sign on it.

I've bought a lot of sewing machines for a lot of women over the years, and I have one piece of advice.

Don't go crazy. Don't buy one that is expensive. Very, very, very few women use them. One summer day down the road, it will be in the driveway with a $10 price tag and a "Like New" sign on it.

im sure that is good advice -- kind of figured that may be the case but good to hear it confirmed. Thanks

My wife has about four or five of them and uses them every day

I agree that most women will lose interest. Best bet is to avoid the bells and whistles and get a solid basic machine. Singer is not Singer anymore and what is sold is a cheap imitation. My wife has some machines that are 50-60 years old and still work great

The newer machines are very computer dependent and have infinite stitch selection and patterns. Best to learn the basics of sewing and upgrade later

I agree that most women will lose interest. Best bet is to avoid the bells and whistles and get a solid basic machine. Singer is not Singer anymore and what is sold is a cheap imitation. My wife has some machines that are 50-60 years old and still work great

The newer machines are very computer dependent and have infinite stitch selection and patterns. Best to learn the basics of sewing and upgrade later

Your wife is exceptional. :D

But I'm sure you already know that.

So...yeah. Go with a low-priced model, and then if the user looks to be serious about it, then upgrade later.

Your wife is exceptional. :D
But I'm sure you already know that.

So...yeah. Go with a low-priced model, and then if the user looks to be serious about it, then upgrade later.

Already knew that

Forum List

Back