Seven States will decide the election

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
The 'super seven' swing states that will determine the presidency - The Week

As usual, the swing states will decide our next president. Colorado, New Hampshire, Ohio, Florida, Iowa, Nevada and Virginia will see most of the presidential campaigning.

Based on current make-up of states, Obama will go in with a probable 247 electoral votes to Romneys 206. 270 is needed to win

Of the swing states electoral votes:

Florida. 29
Ohio. 18
Virginia 13
Colorado 9
Iowa. 6
Nevada 6
New Hampshire 3

Essentially, if Obama wins Florida, he wins
Or if he wins Ohio or Virginia and one other state

Romney has to win Florida, Ohio and Virginia if he has a hope of being elected

What this really shows is that Romney has to pick Rubio as his running mate. Florida is all or nothing for Romney. If he loses Florida, the election is over

What this really shows is that Romney has to pick Rubio as his running mate. Florida is all or nothing for Romney. If he loses Florida, the election is over

Disagree, Christie is the guy.

Traditionaly the VEEP is the attack-dog, and Chris Christie is the best man for that role. He is articulate, commanding, and sharp as a whip.

We can win Florida without Rubio. Christie is raedy for prime-time now.

Last edited:

Traditionaly the VEEP is the attack-dog, and Chris Christie is the best man for that role. He is articulate, commanding, and sharp as a whip.

Romney would not take NJ with Christie on the ballot. Christie is a loose cannon that would hurt as much as he helps

Romneys biggest fault is that he is dull and uninspiring on the campaign trail. Rubio has charisma and could bring more spark to the campaign

As usual, the swing states will decide our next president. Colorado, New Hampshire, Ohio, Florida, Iowa, Nevada and Virginia will see most of the presidential campaigning.

Based on current make-up of states, Obama will go in with a probable 247 electoral votes to Romneys 206. 270 is needed to win

Florida. 29
Ohio. 18
Virginia 13
Colorado 9
Iowa. 6
Nevada 6
New Hampshire 3

While I believe Obama will beat Romney, I think it's a safe bet that he will lose Virginia this time around. The GOP won back majorities in 2010, our Governer, Lt Governor and Attorney General are all Republicans now.

EDIT: AND VA touts one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.

Last edited:
Way off, O is going in with about 191 and the R's 181. PA, OH, VA, NC, and Fl are the biggies.

2012 Presidential Election Interactive Map and History of the Electoral College

Yeah, that's where I'd start the math too. Though with Mitt as the Nominee I'd put Nevada, New Mexico, and New Hampshire into his camp. I'd bet Michigan goes blue after what happened in the Primary there. That makes it 212 to 211.

I'm not at all sure what will happen in Wisconsin. I have a feeling that state will be far more important in 2012 than folks realize.

Past that I'd say that Colorado, Missouri, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, and Virgina (along with Wisconsin) are in play and will decide things. That means a LOT is going to come down to Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida. They'll be the last "Big" states in play. It isn't possible to win without carrying at least 1 of those three states.

I've got to say though, if you're Obama that map isn't looking that great right now. I really think that Mitt will pick Rubio. That would give him Florida making it 240 to 212. I suspect Virgina will reverse itself and go Red. That makes it 253 to 212. I strongly suspect we'll see a surprise come election night and see Wisconsin go Red. That'll be 263-212.

Whew. It's still far out but it could be a very interesting race.

Romney would not take NJ with Christie on the ballot. Christie is a loose cannon that would hurt as much as he helps

Romneys biggest fault is that he is dull and uninspiring on the campaign trail. Rubio has charisma and could bring more spark to the campaign

I love Rubio, but he's not as polished as Chris Christie.

Christie is far from dull, if anyone's can provide the spark, he can. Romney Christie carries NJ.

Of course, all bets are off if 0bamacare goes down in flames.....

Ain't that the truth. Best outcome for the GOP right now is a punt on the issue. It keeps the issue alive in the election and puts Obama on the defensive while keeping the door open for striking down the law later.

Florida. 29
Ohio. 18
Virginia 13
Colorado 9
Iowa. 6
Nevada 6
New Hampshire 3

While I believe Obama will beat Romney, I think it's a safe bet that he will lose Virginia this time around. The GOP won back majorities in 2010, our Governer, Lt Governor and Attorney General are all Republicans now.

EDIT: AND VA touts one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.

Poll: Obama widens lead in Virginia

President Obama has widened his lead over the GOP field in the battleground state of Virginia, according to a survey from conservative polling outlet Rasmussen on Thursday.

Obama leads Mitt Romney with 51 percent of support to 42 percent, which is a 3-point gain on the former Massachusetts governor since the same poll was conducted a month ago.

The article shows other polls showing Obama breaking out in that state.

Of course, all bets are off if 0bamacare goes down in flames.....

Ain't that the truth. Best outcome for the GOP right now is a punt on the issue. It keeps the issue alive in the election and puts Obama on the defensive while keeping the door open for striking down the law later.

Actually, 0bama is in deep trouble if his precious is spanked... The landmark legislation, 2,700+ pages and all, was his administration's crowning glory... Epic fail if it's tossed to the curb... No amount of spin will overcome those campaign adds pointing out that failure...

Forum List

Back