Set Condition Yellow

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
According to the NWS in UPTON, NY

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...
ANOTHER BIG STORY NEW YEARS EVE WILL BE WIND CHILLS. TEMPS DROP INTO THE TEENS ALONG THE COAST AND IN NYC...WITH SINGLE DIGITS
INLAND. GUSTY NW WINDS WILL DRIVE WIND CHILLS TO NEAR ZERO OR BELOW. WHILE NOT ADVISORY LEVELS...IT SI NOTEWORTHY WITH THE LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE LIKELY TO BE OUTSIDE. MAY NEED TO ISSUE SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTS TO ALERT THE PUBLIC OF VERY COLD AND BLUSTERY CONDITIONS.

THE DEPARTING LOW NEW YEARS EVE LOOKS TO TRIGGER MASSIVE RIDGE DEVELOPMENT IN THE ATLANTIC. THIS MAY HAVE LARGE CONSEQUENCES BY SHIFTING THE PATTERN TO A COLDER AND MORE STORMY PERIOD FOR THE US EAST COAST.

TEMPS REMAIN ON THE COLD SIDE THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.

SYSTEMS BECOME DEEPER AND MOVE MORE SLOWLY BY WEEKS END. THE GFS IS ADVERTISING A VERY LARGE COASTAL SYSTEM FOR FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY. ENSEMBLE MEAN HEIGHT FORECASTS FOR THIS TIME PERIOD SUGGEST A STORM TRACK VERY CLOSE TO THE BENCHMARK FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW. WILL ONLY HIGHLIGHT THIS IN THE HWO FOR NOW DUE TO UNCERTAINTY ON THE ALL IMPORTANT TRACK.

Will Dick Clark have on his parka for the dropping of the ball?

Who in the heck would want to stand outside with thousands of strangers in the freezing cold to watch a "ball" drop anyway? I have never understood the thrill of that.

Will Dick Clark have on his parka for the dropping of the ball?

Who in the heck would want to stand outside with thousands of strangers in the freezing cold to watch a "ball" drop anyway? I have never understood the thrill of that.

I've always wanted to do it, but all someone has to do is walk in with a backpack full of explosives. That's what keeps me away.

It's exciting, really. Being there as they enter the leap second. 5...4....3...2...1....0..... HAPPY NEW YEAR! Hundreds of thousands of people start cheering... it's good stuff.

Shoot.

I've been enjoying these mild temps.

And extended period of extreme cold get's mighty damned expensive for us folks here in Maine.

I am spending NYE in a hot tub with my lovely wife and several bottles of fine champagne.

Let it be cold, snowy and blowing hot tubbing is more fun that way

I've always wanted to do it, but all someone has to do is walk in with a backpack full of explosives. That's what keeps me away.
You must live a pathetic life.

It's gotta suck to live in constant fear of ANYTHING bad randomly happening to you.

You probably don't drive a car, huh? I mean, it's fun and all, but what if someone swerves into your lane and hits you head-on at 70mph??? :rolleyes:

It's gotta suck to live in constant fear of ANYTHING bad randomly happening to you.

You probably don't drive a car, huh? I mean, it's fun and all, but what if someone swerves into your lane and hits you head-on at 70mph??? :rolleyes:

Now that's not right......we're talking New York where everything happens and would be the first site for someone to try and make a name for themselves....:confused:

I don't live in constant fear of anything bad happening. I live in constant fear of someone blowing up a large crowd of people. So does the NYPD and they spend tens of millions of dollars on ensuring that won't happen. No offense to the NYPD, but they have to be 100% perfect in doing that. Unfortunately, they're not.

NYC is a prime target for these monsters. Remember 9/11?

It's called street smarts, Paul. It's why you don't go walking on 140th street at 3 am on a Saturday night yelling the word "******" loudly.

I don't live in constant fear of anything bad happening. I live in constant fear of someone blowing up a large crowd of people. So does the NYPD and they spend tens of millions of dollars on ensuring that won't happen. No offense to the NYPD, but they have to be 100% perfect in doing that. Unfortunately, they're not.

NYC is a prime target for these monsters. Remember 9/11?

It's called street smarts, Paul. It's why you don't go walking on 140th street at 3 am on a Saturday night yelling the word "******" loudly.

Because large crowds of people are getting blown up all the time here in the states. :rolleyes:

You have a better chance of getting in an airplane crash than you do getting blown up by terrorists, and you certainly have a better chance of getting into a car accident. I bet you probably don't even think twice when you pull out of your driveway though. Loosen up.

What does your wife do, besides you?

lol

she is my business partner. we work well together.

friends ask me if we ever get sick of spending so much time together and even after more than 13 years the answer is still no.

I hit the jackpot with this girl and I never forget that.

Because large crowds of people are getting blown up all the time here in the states. :rolleyes:

You have a better chance of getting in an airplane crash than you do getting blown up by terrorists, and you certainly have a better chance of getting into a car accident. I bet you probably don't even think twice when you pull out of your driveway though. Loosen up.

Dude...I fly through Atlanta every other week, and every single time I think about the possibility of a terrorist attack. I rode the Metro extensively in DC last month, and thought about this possibility. Some of us responded much more intensely to 9/11 than others did. I have friends who were inside the towers on 9/11 who are still suffering from PTSD. A couple have had to move out of NYC to deal with it. Stop being such a judgemental prick.

Hey, if you want to perpetually live in fear because a couple cavemen finally got to us one day, that's your problem.

Seems like a rather shitty way to go through life though.

Death happens. We're not immortal.

Hey, if you want to perpetually live in fear because a couple cavemen finally got to us one day, that's your problem.

Seems like a rather shitty way to go through life though.

Death happens. We're not immortal.

I don't live in fear. I am, however, aware of the possiblity that something bad might happen. I prefer not to go through life with my head in the sand thinking everything will always be peachy keen.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean bad people aren't out to get you.

I regularly ride the subway wherever I go, and work in dangerous inner city areas, and I am pretty familiar with the risks I run in doing so.

I don't live in fear. I am, however, aware of the possiblity that something bad might happen. I prefer not to go through life with my head in the sand thinking everything will always be peachy keen.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean bad people aren't out to get you.

I regularly ride the subway wherever I go, and work in dangerous inner city areas, and I am pretty familiar with the risks I run in doing so.

I understand that. It's no different though, than considering the risks in getting behind the wheel of a car. You're way more likely to suffer a car accident, then getting blown up in a terrorist attack, yet most people don't even think twice about the possibility of a car accident when they pull out of their driveway everyday.

Somehow the thought of an otherwise unlikely terrorist attack trumps the thought of the everyday occurance of car accidents.

Just putting it into perspective, that's all.

Now if you lived in, say Israel, I might understand the perpetual fear of getting blown up because of the frequency of such a thing.

But here? The only reason people think these retarded ass terrorists might blow up a metro-rail, or a New Year crowd, is because the mass media ingrains the thought into our minds.

The likelihood of such a thing is so slim, that it really doesn't seem worth worrying about. You leave your house everyday with the possibility of being killed somehow, the least likely of which being a terrorist attack when compared to the many other ways to die.

I understand that. It's no different though, than considering the risks in getting behind the wheel of a car. You're way more likely to suffer a car accident, then getting blown up in a terrorist attack, yet most people don't even think twice about the possibility of a car accident when they pull out of their driveway everyday.

Somehow the thought of an otherwise unlikely terrorist attack trumps the thought of the everyday occurance of car accidents.

Just putting it into perspective, that's all.

For me, the kicker about watching the ball drop would be this:

1) Subfreezing temps
2) Large crowds
3) Composed of New Yawkers. ugh.

The positive aspect of this would be?

Manhattan is a lot more fun without the celebratory hubbub of a holiday. Just visiting on a random typical day is a good time. When the millions of morons flock to the streets because it's an excuse to be even MORE of a moron, it loses its luster.

I can't imagine standing in a tightly packed crowd of millions and having a better time than being at some private party somewhere enjoying heat, a hot tub, and all the food and booze you could ask for.

But to each their own, I guess.

Forum List

Back