Sestak beat Specter

Specter had some good moments, but he has demonstrated a flawed character for a long time now changing convictions, changing positions, changing loyalties, changing stories, and ultimately changing parties trying to hold on. It is really hard to fully respect somebody like that. But even if he had held fast to some core values, he voted for the bailouts in 2008, for the stimulus package, for the pork laden appropriations bills, for a budget no conservative could possibly condone, and for the healthcare package. And I fully believe he would have voted for amnesty for illegals and for Cap & Trade once resurrected.

So keep your fingers crossed that somebody more fiscally responsible will replace him.

What "convictions, positions and stories" did he change?
I like a politician that has the character to change "loyalties". Political loyalties to party has ruined this country.
Arlen Specter was no liberal. The man was a career hard nosed prosecutor.
But in today's land of Rush dittohead 30 second sound bites anyone can be thrown a lure and bite.

He changed parties twice, not out of personal convictions, but out of political expediency. Over the years at various times he has been pro choice, pro life, pro fiscal conservative, pro government spending, pro war, anti war, etc. etc. etc.. He is one of those politicians that says what he thinks the people want to hear or what the leadership wants to hear in order to land a prestigious (and lucrative) committee appointment. The man seems devoid of any strong personal convictions.

You might like that. Many of the rest of us see it as sleazy and a character flaw.

Specter is human, and I sure all of us have changed our minds many times, and at times that looks conflicting to others. Who cares? Go look up Winston Churchill's career, see how many times changed his positions and his political party.

Last edited:
I allow people to be human. And I respect those who change their position when they are persuaded that they were previously wrong. Such people can explain the process that brought them to a different point of view. Spector hasn't done that.

As for Churchill, if you're interested you look that up. I don't see what it has to do with Arlan Spector in any way.

I allow people to be human. And I respect those who change their position when they are persuaded that they were previously wrong. Such people can explain the process that brought them to a different point of view. Spector hasn't done that.

As for Churchill, if you're interested you look that up. I don't see what it has to do with Arlan Spector in any way.

I am aware that you don't. You are knee-jerk reactive, not pro-active and mature in evidence and conclusions. But, be it as that may, Specter will not sit at home with a fat retirement future.

Forum List

Back