Seriously people, can we get beyond Rush?

That argument might've worked before the Catholics got their second exemption on top of their first one (not counting the blanket exemption the Church itself has had all along).

Now you're just full of shit.

So you put a feminist activist up testifying about how she wants to force a religious institution to provide her and other women birth control contrary to the values of the religious institution, and you dont think that's a First Amendment issue?

Again, this was resolved weeks ago when Obama indicated Catholics would get an exemption on top of their exemption through the rulemaking process that upset them so.

When your problem is with some lady's testimony, give up. Seriously.

My problem is with you and your ilk trying to rob people of their money and religious liberties.

It hasnt gone away because you are still trying to do it.

remember imus?

Yep, and while I thought his comments were out of bounds the market reacted and the situation solved itself. Now his audience is doubled.

We are free for a reason.

Do you guys see a thread everytime Maher says something stupid? Obviously not or this board would never be anything but a Maher discussion.

It's just so trivial when we have such serious challenges.

I think the attention has been earned because the event has triggered a response from a varied set of perspectives regarding reproductive rights, insurance benefits, media influence, the first amendment, a women's sexual preferences and behaviours, political positioning, educational costs...many hot button issues each worthy of discussion.

All of which pale in comparison to our REAL problems.

Oddly enough NONE OF THIS was an issue before Obama made it one.

Carry on.

Yep, and while I thought his comments were out of bounds the market reacted and the situation solved itself. Now his audience is doubled.

Do you guys see a thread everytime Maher says something stupid? Obviously not or this board would never be anything but a Maher discussion.

I think the attention has been earned because the event has triggered a response from a varied set of perspectives regarding reproductive rights, insurance benefits, media influence, the first amendment, a women's sexual preferences and behaviours, political positioning, educational costs...many hot button issues each worthy of discussion.

Carry on.

Unfortunately, The Democrats set this one up and Rush walked into it.

The man makes 50+ million a year. A few advertisers lost is a drop in the bucket. It won't slow him down. In fact I bet his ratings will go up. And even if it was the beginning of the end for him it wouldn't matter as the void would be filled by someone else.

Point is he has no power. He doesn't make policy. He is a damn pundit. Like him or hate him it really makes no difference overall. This controversy will be long forgotten by election day. But gas may still be high. We may be involved in another military action. UE is still to high. The economy is still slugging along.

This story is a pimple on a 15 year old. Get over it. If you're on the left and this is all you got you're in big trouble come November. If you're on the right and you're obsessed with this you need a fucking hobby. It's his opinion, who cares?

Ps. I do see the irony but it needed to be said.

I think the reason why this story is important is for a couple of reasons.

1) It shows Obama has learned how to manipulate the right. Just like Clinton was able to after he was initially set back on his heels, he's learned how to push the right's buttons and make them act irrationally.

He makes a rule change that upsets the Catholic Bishops (rank and file Catholics don't care). The Bishops Push back. The GOP rallies behind them. He finds someone likeable for a counterpoint, and then someone does something stupid.

Yes, with luck, this will go away in a couple of days, but it shows the dynamic has changed. The GOP is a leaderless party right now. Which brings me to point #2.

2) No one has a big enough pair to challenge Limbaugh. Simply put, Romney Gingrich and Santorum should have all condemned Rush the minute he said this. That. Very. Day. They didn't. Because they are all in a tight race right now, and the last thing they want is Rush getting on his show and denouncing them.

Limbaugh's influence is an illusion. He was dead set against John McCain in 2008, but McCain still won. And Huckabee came in second. This year, he's against Romney, but Romney will probalby get the nomination. (and nothing else).

But none of these guys can be man enough to punch Limbaugh out.

Wrong on #2

Our politicians are elected to represent us as Americans. Not police the free market and media.

Again, this was resolved weeks ago when Obama indicated Catholics would get an exemption on top of their exemption through the rulemaking process that upset them so.

When your problem is with some lady's testimony, give up. Seriously.

My problem is with you and your ilk trying to rob people of their money and religious liberties.

It hasnt gone away because you are still trying to do it.

Still trying to do what? It's over. The First Amendment issue was resolved.

That's when the whole thing blew up in the face of the right. The administration offered its concession taking religious employers off the hook. And yet the War on Women persisted. It then became clear--beyond those who could already pretty clearly discern it--what you're actually trying to do. And continue to try to do.

Carry on.

The entire GOP fell into it.

Carry on.

The real problems have been the same problems for decades. It is the same game cycle every 12 - 15 years, only the players change. Social Security, fuel and oil, healthcare, middle east, unemployment, no money for education, abortion, support nasa...and guess what? They like it this way...keeps us all worried and stuff.

Sure Rush does not deserve the attention, and yes I would agree on the surface this all seems so silly. But look at the dynamic dialogue occurring beneath the hyperpartisan sheath; there is real meat at the core. Listen for it, its interesting stuff and the ability to have these national moments of controversy are one of the naturally rich resources of the American culture.

Carry on.

He has just cost the repub candidates untold # of female voters who'll defect to the Democrats waiting arms :cool:

Carry on.

The real problems have been the same problems for decades. It is the same game cycle every 12 - 15 years, only the players change. Social Security, fuel and oil, healthcare, middle east, unemployment, no money for education, abortion, support nasa...and guess what? They like it this way...keeps us all worried and stuff.

Sure Rush does not deserve the attention, and yes I would agree on the surface this all seems so silly. But look at the dynamic dialogue occurring beneath the hyperpartisan sheath; there is real meat at the core. Listen for it, its interesting stuff and the ability to have these national moments of controversy are one of the naturally rich resources of the American culture.

This dialog is all fake. All of it. It's election season and idiots on both sides are pandering. There is NOTHING of substance to be seen

and the world can rest easy.

sfc toolie will fight for the constitution.

but everyone has to stand for the pledge of allegiance.

negged if possible

My money says he goes into the ring unopposed and knocks himself out in three rounds.:eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if he is lucky, he will find a child who is not standing during the pledge of allegiance.

then he can let loose.

to knock himself out.

what a disgusting phony person.

Carry on.

He has just cost the repub candidates untold # of female voters who'll defect to the Democrats waiting arms :cool:

Or as the conservatives like to call it... the Democratic Whore House. Wholly owned subsidiary of the Democratic Plantation.

Carry on.

This dialog is all fake. All of it. It's election season and idiots on both sides are pandering. There is NOTHING of substance to be seen

I am sorry you feel that way Gramps.

You know the saying we have two ears and one mouth so that we may listen twice as much as we speak? We'd benefit alot from this application.

Carry on.

The entire GOP fell into it.
See...that's the thing.

With the DOW over 13,000, and unemplyment going down a trifle, the only things left were gas prices and religious freedom.

Now, after Rush's mistake, and apology...any conservative man who talks about contraception will look like an intolerant angry old prude who picks on defenseless girls.

Of course Rush will go on, but that's not the damage.

Now that the GOP has been defanged regarding contraception...the only thing left is gas prices, and if those go back down by November there isn't anything!...except maybe if they dust off healthcare...but that's not enough.

Limbaugh may have rendered contraception ineffective for the GOP in November.

2) No one has a big enough pair to challenge Limbaugh. Simply put, Romney Gingrich and Santorum should have all condemned Rush the minute he said this. That. Very. Day. They didn't. Because they are all in a tight race right now, and the last thing they want is Rush getting on his show and denouncing them.

Limbaugh's influence is an illusion. He was dead set against John McCain in 2008, but McCain still won. And Huckabee came in second. This year, he's against Romney, but Romney will probalby get the nomination. (and nothing else).

But none of these guys can be man enough to punch Limbaugh out.

Wrong on #2

Our politicians are elected to represent us as Americans. Not police the free market and media.

It's not a matter of "policing" anything. It's a matter of doing the right thing.

When I was in the Army, my CO had this sign on his desk. It read, "If you see something wrong and don't do anything about it, you've set a new standard."

Most sensible people (those who aren't coming on here trying to rationalize it) know what Limbaugh did was wrong. Mitt Romney knows it was wrong. Newt Knows it was Wrong. Santorum knows it was wrong. Ron Paul might know it's wrong if the medications are kicking in.

Not a one of them came out and openly said, "What Rush Limbaugh said was vile, disgusting, horrible. and has no place in our public discourse".

Don Imus was taken off the air for referring to Rutger's players as "nappy headed ho's." Laura Schlsesinger, after years of homophobic remarks, took herself off the air after the uproar over her used of the dreaded N-Word. My opinion, neither of those are as egregious as what Limbaugh did.

And I like Limbaugh. Really, I do. I enjoy his show, I enjoy his little parodies. He is one of the great satirists of our age.

But he crossed a line.

Forum List

Back