Seriously?... "Many" Indians are Upset of Geronimo?...

Many Indians irked but not surprised by code name - Yahoo! News

Political Correctness again going to far...

Seriously, Shut up.

:)

peace...

Bunch of racists.

thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx
Don't forget the Kansas City Chiefs, South Dakota Fighting Sioux, the (former) Marquette Golden Warriors, the Florida Seminoles,

In all those cases the name was chosen to honor a people who by many were considered brave and skilled warriors.

When are people going to stop the hate in Boston with the Celtics. How about the Demon Deacons? Oh the religious hatred!

Goddamn stupid.

I agree about the over sensitivity. "Redskins" is pretty bad though. Then again they're a division rival, so maybe that's why I think it's wrong. :lol:

I grew up around that exact same area with Apaches and Comanches.

And they ain't that wild about the government either.

Something about this used to be their land.

Do you blame them? I don't.

Just because they got here first doesn't mean it was theirs.

I just bought some Old Lady guns. Do you have a nice house on land you own? Can I come take it from you by force even though you were there first?

So they don't get offended anymore, I don't think anything should be named after Native Americans.

When are people going to stop the hate in Boston with the Celtics.

Probably when the 'Irish mafia' stop doing crimes and supporting the IRA.

Some comments I found when the question was posed in Google search of why military weapons/vehicles are named after NA's. Names were XXXX'd out to protect the innocent, lol.
Some of the responses are quite humorous. And no, no link. It goes to another message board which could be in direct competition with usmb and I don't know if that is against the rules or not.
I just liked some of the answers :lol:

January 28th, 2011 at 12:45 am
Because they sound tough.

Other than helicopters and their associated munitions, maybe you could provide some examples??
Of course, there is the Tomahawk Cruise Missile.
Maybe they’re honoring individuals that they considered to be fierce warriors and worthy adversaries back in the day by naming formidable weapons systems after them?

To honor them.

like the Cobra, Abhrams, Paladin, SAW, LAW. M2, and others?

Americans stole their land, it’s the least they could do.

symbolism. Apache’s were known for being tough/ruthless for an example.

Because a helicopter named Hello Kitty or Teletubby just doesn’t sound right. It sounds effeminate and Liberal.

Because protestant cracker-a** christian names are lame.
"Oh no! They’re sending out a fleet of John Goodmoores after us" just doesn’t have the same effect as "here comes a Kiowa".

To make the military appear more nobel, of course.
HAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

because they can

In WWII they used the Native American Language when sending codes, so they could not be cracked by the Japanese or Germans.
So my guess is tradition, and the fact that Native Americans are the original Americans.

Native Americans= badasses
so weapons named after them= badass lol

Because neither of them work very well?

The practice started in the 1960s with Bell 47 (Sioux) and UH-1 (Iroquois) with the Army naming helicopters after Native American tribes. It has since been traditional, except only the Army does it and only for helicopters, excepting the AH-1 (Huey Cobra).

I was not aware that the NIKE, Patriot, Stinger, TOW, M-16, M-4, M1911, M-2, M-60, M-249, M-1 Abrams, M-2 Bradley, F-15 Eagle, F-22 Raptor, F-16 Fighting Falcon etc etc, were Indian related or Indian names.
Now if you had asked how does the military name its weapons systems, I’d have to answer, I really do not know.
Out of hundreds of weapon systems only a small handful (mostly helicopters) use Indian names, And is there something wrong with that?

Native American braves were known as great warriors. It is a way to show honor to their heritage.

Just because they got here first doesn't mean it was theirs.

I just bought some Old Lady guns. Do you have a nice house on land you own? Can I come take it from you by force even though you were there first?

Ive got a deed, so I don't think the police would let you do that.

NA's had treaties given to them. Which were broken time after time. Do you really blame them for not trusting the government back then, or even NOW? Hell, most of us don't believe what the government says either.:eusa_liar:

it's called a 'Naming convention". Battleships and Nuclear Missile Subs are all named after states. Cruisers and "attack" subs are named after cities. Frigates are named after past navy leaders, admirals and the like. Carriers are now named after Presidents. They used to be named after famous battles. Tanks are named after Generals. Bombers and fighters never got a naming convention (must be because they're zoomies)

Helicopters got Indian tribes. Apache, Comanche, Kiowa, Cayuse, Iroquis, Chinook, Blackhawk... there are a few others that I'm blanking on. A few break the convention like the Sikorski Sky Crane, Gazelle and the Navy/Marine Sea Knight or the Bell 222 which never got a name that stuck.

Helicopters got Indian tribes. Apache, Comanche, Kiowa, Cayuse, Iroquis, Chinook, Blackhawk... there are a few others that I'm blanking on. .

Kickapoo?

I understand its very Stealthy, and it only used to assasinate leaders that Democratic Presidents don't like.

Helicopters got Indian tribes. Apache, Comanche, Kiowa, Cayuse, Iroquis, Chinook, Blackhawk... there are a few others that I'm blanking on. .

Kickapoo?

I understand its very Stealthy, and it only used to assasinate leaders that Democratic Presidents don't like.
that's a shitty name for a helicopter.

You like "Nooksack" better?

Welcome to the Nooksack Tribe Website

You know you've been through hell after a Nooksack Attack!!

Many Indians irked but not surprised by code name - Yahoo! News

Political Correctness again going to far...

Seriously, Shut up.

:)

peace...

They need to get a life and stop acting like perpetual victims, like most blacks do.

Like "most blacks do?"

Most blacks are actively employed in the pursuit of the American Dream, moron.

Maybe so, but they still play the victim card aka the race card whenever possible.

Geronimo was a great warrior and I have been to his grave.

In reality during that time Geronimo was a terrorist himself..

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Mandela...some say terrorist others say freedom fighter.
Freedom fighters don't hide behind the people they're fighting for like cowards.

EXCELLENT point. And to my knowledge, Indians NEVER hid behind their women and children. Likewise, they didn't balk at killing women and children...but neither did the US Army.

Our Revolutionary heroes, who also fought a guerilla war, likewise did not terrorize the population. Nor did the Southern army.

Those people were guerillas...but not terrorists. They did not inflict fear and loathing upon the countryside, they did not kill their own women and children.

Forum List

Back