Serious question for Republicans regarding rape and health exceptions to abortion

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
Serious question for Republicans regarding rape exceptions to abortion

Many anti-choicers favor banning abortion except in the case of rape or life of the mother. This question is for that subset of the anti-choicers.

The fist is

1) How does the rape exception actually work? If I'm a woman and I just got raped and I'm pregnant, by what mechanism do I obtain a legal abortion? How do I show to the state I was actually raped and that I'm a legally justified exception to the rule?

2) How does the life of the mother exception actually work? Does the doctor have 100% final word on the issue? Will a panel of other doctors have to vote on it? Will the doctor be subjected to second guessing, where its possible he could, in good faith, perform an abortion to save the mother's life, and the state could come back and charge him with a crime, contending the mother's life was not in actual danger? And how much danger will the mother have to be in? Is she only allowed to choose abortion if there is a 100% chance she will die in childbirth? If not, where is the cut-off?

These are serious real world practical issues that would need to be addressed if abortion were banned with exceptions for rape and/or life of the mother. I put it to the anti-choice crowd to address them.

Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

Last edited:
I'm a pro-choice Republican. But i do know quite a few Democrats who oppose abortion; perhaps you should rephrase the subject title?

Many anti-choicers favor banning abortion except in the case of rape or life of the mother. This question is for that subset of the anti-choicers.

The fist is

1) How does the rape exception actually work? If I'm a woman and I just got raped and I'm pregnant, by what mechanism do I obtain a legal abortion? How do I show to the state I was actually raped and that I'm a legally justified exception to the rule?

2) How does the life of the mother exception actually work? Does the doctor have 100% final word on the issue? Will a panel of other doctors have to vote on it? Will the doctor be subjected to second guessing, where its possible he could, in good faith, perform an abortion to save the mother's life, and the state could come back and charge him with a crime, contending the mother's life was not in actual danger? And how much danger will the mother have to be in? Is she only allowed to choose abortion if there is a 100% chance she will die in childbirth? If not, where is the cut-off?

These are serious real world practical issues that would need to be addressed if abortion were banned with exceptions for rape and/or life of the mother. I put it to the anti-choice crowd to address them.

I have serious doubts that anyone would rape you.

The fist is

Serious question to idiots like the guy who started this thread, what makes you think this is a Democrat/Republican issue? Is your pro abortion stance so idiotic that you forget that some Democrats are pro life? Even Obama thinks we shouldn't punish kids for their parents choices, unless their parent was a man.

Y

The fist is

I have serious doubts that anyone would rape you.

No chick would, but you forgot about prison.

The only time you have the right to take a human life is in the case of self-defense.

Thus, the only only exception to abortion should be when the baby poses a clear, present, and immediate danger to the life of the mother, with these terms held to the same standard as any other case of killing in self-defense.

Last edited:
The rape and mother's health exception should work the same way it did before Roe v. Wade.

How does the life of the mother exception actually work? Does the doctor have 100% final word on the issue?

Yes.

You may be pleasantly surprised to learn the "health of the mother" exception had an extremely wide latitude in those states which had such an exception prior to Roe v. Wade.

It was practically a joke. Doctors could find a "health of the mother" excuse for just about every occasion.

However, modern medicine has come a long, long way since 1972. It is an extremely rare situation now where the mother's health is in any actual danger.

Only about 4 percent of abortions are related to the mother's health. Less than one percent are due to incest, and about two percent are due to rape.

The other million or so abortions have nothing to do with rape, incest, or health of the mother. It's pretty hard to cram all those corpses behind the rape, incest, and health of the mother ones.

Now, if you want a REAL tough question you could ask us pro-lifers, it would be, "When does human life begin?"

Because, you see, if a person believes life begins at conception, then every abortion is killing a human being. So how could one justify murdering a human being just because it was created by rape or incest?

And that is why some pro-lifers are opposed even to the rape and incest exception. They are consistent in their beliefs.

The real struggle behind abortion is the beginning of human life question. Not this stupid rape and health of the mother misdirection.

Last edited:
If one is claiming to have been raped there will be a police report. No report no rape unless she can prove it later.

A doctor and a second opinion is what I would call acceptable for exception.

The fist is

The government would get to decide.

The fist is

Once again, your thread title shows that you are not to be taken seriously...

You're welcome.

Forum List

Back