Serious political questions

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
It appears that those who identify as conservatives are now divided. Some remain as members of the Republican Party, others identify as Libertarians or conservatives and many simply state they are independent.
As a registered Democrat, moderate on some, liberal on other issues, I understand one party is not the be all end all for most of us. Democrats are used to in-fighting, and the joke that getting Democrats to agree is akin to herding cats is spot on.
Hence, my questions:
1) On what do all conservatives agree?
2) What issues differentiate a Republican from an independent or a Libertarian?

1) Nothing.
2) Republicans are either registered members of the Republican Party or vote consistently Republican, more or less.

There is no lockstep agreement. Instead there is a general sense that government intrudes too much into people's lives and takes too money in taxes. When you get into specific issues agreement tends to deteriorate.

1) Nothing.
2) Republicans are either registered members of the Republican Party or vote consistently Republican, more or less.

There is no lockstep agreement. Instead there is a general sense that government intrudes too much into people's lives and takes too money in taxes. When you get into specific issues agreement tends to deteriorate.

How kind of you to have cleared that up for the droolers. Very well put. Just imagine if the kool aiders stopped drinking long enough to develop the power of individual, rational thought. Obama would be doomed!

1) Nothing.

That pretty much sums up the rather obvious.

I wonder what is next from the OP.

1) Nothing.

Then what does someone have to do to become a "RINO" or a Republican who is not a "real" conservative?

1) Nothing.

Excellent response. I am a true conservative and find that when a conservative candidate is not on the ticket, it is best to vote republican....as a republican candidate, more often than not, runs on a platform of less government intrusion into the private sector....you know...sort of how our nation and government was designed.

But by no means do I agree with every republican candidate on every issue....but rarely, if ever, do I see myself MORE in line with the democratic candidate.

The same holds true the other way.

That is why I lauygh when I see people support every move Obama makes...and actually debate why it is no big deal with things like Van Jones and Anita Dunn.

One must question what is wrong with their thinking when they agree with everything a politician says and does. It is not reality....it is a dream at best.

1) Nothing.

Then what does someone have to do to become a "RINO" or a Republican who is not a "real" conservative?

Support programs that increase taxes or extend government control over society.

1) Nothing.

The basic premise of the republican party is (was) less government intrusion in the public sector.
For a republican to vote for initiatives that result in otherwise, then that republican is no longer following the basic premise of the party...anbd yes, they are still a republican....but not with the values of a republican...thus a nickname.

Bush was a true Rino in my eyes. Spector was a rino that really went even further.....t

• Banned
It appears that those who identify as conservatives are now divided. Some remain as members of the Republican Party, others identify as Libertarians or conservatives and many simply state they are independent.
As a registered Democrat, moderate on some, liberal on other issues, I understand one party is not the be all end all for most of us. Democrats are used to in-fighting, and the joke that getting Democrats to agree is akin to herding cats is spot on.
Hence, my questions:

Here is one Conservative's answer to part one above:

1) Conservatives believe that there are moral truths, right and wrong, and that these truths are permanent. The result of infracting these truths will be atrocities and social disaster. Liberals believe in a privatization of morality so complete that no code of conduct is generally accepted, practically to the point of ‘do what you can get away with’. These beliefs are aimed at the gratification of appetites and exhibit anarchistic impulses.

2) Conservatives believe that custom and tradition result in individuals living in peace. Law is custom and precedent. Liberals are destroyers of custom and convention. To a conservative, change should be gradual, as the new society is often inferior to the old. We build on the ideas and experience of our ancestors. The species is wiser than the individual (Burke).

3) Conservatives believe in the principle of variety, while liberal perspectives result in a narrowing uniformity. Conservatives believe in choice of healthcare, education, religion, and various other areas. Under conservative principles, there will be differences in class, material condition and other inequalities. Equality will be of opportunity, not necessarily of result. The only uniformity will be before the law. Society will not be perfect. Consider the results of the rule of ideologues of the last century.

4) Freedom and property are linked. Private property results in a more stable and productive society. Private property and retaining the fruits of one’s labor has been proven successful from the Puritan’s Bradford, to the Stakhanovite Revolution!

5) Conservatives believe in voluntary community and charity, based on duties to each other, with the assumption that each person must do whatever he could to avoid requiring assistance, as opposed to involuntary collectivism, as in “let the government do it.. Burke's understanding that the "little platoon" - family, neighborhood, professional organizations etc - is the "first principle" of society has been consistently identified as providing the necessary inspiration for conservativism. And explains why conservatives give more to charity than liberals.

6) Conservatives view people as both good and bad, and for this reason believe on restraints on power, as in checks and balances, while liberals see power as a force for good, as long as the power is in their hands.

7) Liberals and Conservatives differ in the way to proceed. For Conservatives, data informs policy. (“More Guns, Less Crime” and“Mass murderers apparently can’t read, since they are constantly shooting up ‘gun-free zones.’”- Coulter) We use Conservative principles to the best of our ability, but when confronting new and original venues, we believe in testing, and analysis of the results of the tests. For liberals, feeling passes for knowing; it is based on emotion often to the exclusion of thinking.

8) Conservatives view results differently from Liberals. Liberals respond to success and material wealth with envy and hostility, encourage class warfare and an attempt to obviate any chance that it might happen again. The exception is when it is a Liberal with the wealth. Conservatives see success as the validation and culmination of the application of Conservative principles, most prominently Liberty.

Support programs that increase taxes or extend government control over society.

I apprciate you serious response Rabbi. Did you mean government control over society, or of the individual?

Control over society is the same as control over the individual.
Control over an individual is not the same as control over a society.
SO I am confused by the question......but government can not have control over an individual without having control over society.....unless, of course, each individual is subject to different laws

Hence, my questions:

1) Conservatives believe that there are moral truths, right and wrong, and that these truths are permanent. The result of infracting these truths will be atrocities and social disaster. Liberals believe in a privatization of morality so complete that no code of conduct is generally accepted, practically to the point of ‘do what you can get away with’. These beliefs are aimed at the gratification of appetites and exhibit anarchistic impulses.

2) Conservatives believe that custom and tradition result in individuals living in peace. Law is custom and precedent. Liberals are destroyers of custom and convention. To a conservative, change should be gradual, as the new society is often inferior to the old. We build on the ideas and experience of our ancestors. The species is wiser than the individual (Burke).

3) Conservatives believe in the principle of variety, while liberal perspectives result in a narrowing uniformity. Conservatives believe in choice of healthcare, education, religion, and various other areas. Under conservative principles, there will be differences in class, material condition and other inequalities. Equality will be of opportunity, not necessarily of result. The only uniformity will be before the law. Society will not be perfect. Consider the results of the rule of ideologues of the last century.

4) Freedom and property are linked. Private property results in a more stable and productive society. Private property and retaining the fruits of one’s labor has been proven successful from the Puritan’s Bradford, to the Stakhanovite Revolution!

5) Conservatives believe in voluntary community and charity, based on duties to each other, with the assumption that each person must do whatever he could to avoid requiring assistance, as opposed to involuntary collectivism, as in “let the government do it.. Burke's understanding that the "little platoon" - family, neighborhood, professional organizations etc - is the "first principle" of society has been consistently identified as providing the necessary inspiration for conservativism. And explains why conservatives give more to charity than liberals.

6) Conservatives view people as both good and bad, and for this reason believe on restraints on power, as in checks and balances, while liberals see power as a force for good, as long as the power is in their hands.

7) Liberals and Conservatives differ in the way to proceed. For Conservatives, data informs policy. (“More Guns, Less Crime” and“Mass murderers apparently can’t read, since they are constantly shooting up ‘gun-free zones.’”- Coulter) We use Conservative principles to the best of our ability, but when confronting new and original venues, we believe in testing, and analysis of the results of the tests. For liberals, feeling passes for knowing; it is based on emotion often to the exclusion of thinking.

8) Conservatives view results differently from Liberals. Liberals respond to success and material wealth with envy and hostility, encourage class warfare and an attempt to obviate any chance that it might happen again. The exception is when it is a Liberal with the wealth. Conservatives see success as the validation and culmination of the application of Conservative principles, most prominently Liberty.

Hey political chick. I think it would be easy to find conservatives and liberals who disagree with being pigeon-holed that way. I think it highly disengenious to have a conservative define what is and what is not "a liberal" just as it is dishonest to have a liberal define what a conservative is or is not.

The basic premise of the republican party is (was) less government intrusion in the public sector.
For a republican to vote for initiatives that result in otherwise, then that republican is no longer following the basic premise of the party...anbd yes, they are still a republican....but not with the values of a republican...thus a nickname.

Bush was a true Rino in my eyes. Spector was a rino that really went even further.....t

So, a Libertarian, one who believes (I assume) in little or no government intrusion into the lives of individauls (you wrote "public" I suppose you meant "private"?) differentiates from a Republican in what way?

Hoffman said, "Hoffman and his backers said Scozzafava was too liberal to truly represent the Republican party, specifically noting her support of abortion rights and same-sex marriage."

The Associated Press: Republican in NY House race suspends campaign

So can someone be a "true" Republican with these views? Are these the litmus test? Or is it simply about spending? I've heard different answers.

Please notice the article you cited...it is a typical AP article that did exactly as it was designed to do....have you bnelieve one thing when in fact it is another.
Look at the article. There is no quote of what was said in regard to her views on abortion and marriage...
But what DID they quote? See it at the end of the article.
The "quote" is exactly what we are saying...yet you took the "generalization" and took it as fact.
Interesting..and by no means your fault....but maybe NOW you will see what we mean when we say the media has a way to have you think one thing when in fact it is another...yet they care not outright lying.
Very interesting.

1) Nothing.

Close the Thread

So, a Libertarian, one who believes (I assume) in little or no government intrusion into the lives of individauls (you wrote "public" I suppose you meant "private"?) differentiates from a Republican in what way?

A libertarian is not to ever be compared to a republcan......A libertarian can be compared to a conservative.....
One difference I see between a libertarian and a conservative is a libertarian is an ideology based on liberty IN ALL ARENAS where a conservative is driven by adherence to the constitution.
But, I too, am a bit confused between the two.

Hoffman said, "Hoffman and his backers said Scozzafava was too liberal to truly represent the Republican party, specifically noting her support of abortion rights and same-sex marriage."

The Associated Press: Republican in NY House race suspends campaign

So can someone be a "true" Republican with these views? Are these the litmus test? Or is it simply about spending? I've heard different answers.

Please notice the article you cited...it is a typical AP article that did exactly as it was designed to do....have you bnelieve one thing when in fact it is another.
Look at the article. There is no quote of what was said in regard to her views on abortion and marriage...
But what DID they quote? See it at the end of the article.
The "quote" is exactly what we are saying...yet you took the "generalization" and took it as fact.
Interesting..and by no means your fault....but maybe NOW you will see what we mean when we say the media has a way to have you think one thing when in fact it is another...yet they care not outright lying.
Very interesting.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that Hoffman should not have been quoted? Are you saying Hoffman did not say what he was quoted as saying? Are you saying Hoffman misrepresented her positions in his quote?

What "FACT" was it that my post overlooked?

Last edited:
Hence, my questions:

I think Im in love...:happy-1:

Hence, my questions:

Hey political chick. I think it would be easy to find conservatives and liberals who disagree with being pigeon-holed that way. I think it highly disengenious to have a conservative define what is and what is not "a liberal" just as it is dishonest to have a liberal define what a conservative is or is not.

Her post was "one conservatives answer...".

My question to PoliChic: From your source, what would be one (1) moral truth?

Forum List

Back