Sergeant Cutter

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010

primary_EB19861201PEOPLE910239997AR.jpg
http://static.rogerebert.com/upload...-1986/primary_EB19861201PEOPLE910239997AR.jpg

I was seven or eight years old when I first saw Gary Grant in my favorite movie. As I grew into my twenties Grant was the only actor whose movies I made of point of going to see. Regardless of the part Grant played I always saw Sergeant Cutter:

Coincidentally, I stopped going to movie theaters about the same time Cary Grant made his final movie in 1966.

Grant died 37 years ago. So I doubt if many younger Americans saw his movies. It is a pity that anyone will learn about Grant from psycho-babble rather than just enjoying his movies on TV.

Cary Grant: how 100 acid trips in Tinseltown 'changed my life'
Xan Brooks
Friday 12 May 2017 04.00 EDT

Cary Grant: how 100 acid trips in Tinseltown 'changed my life'

Always thought his best was Arsenic and Old Lace.

But I watch Gunga Din every time it's on TCM

Always thought his best was Arsenic and Old Lace.
To WillHaftawaite: Incidentally, Arsenic and Old Lace was based on a play.

Arsenic and Old Lace (play) - Wikipedia

Two homicidal old ladies killing old men with kindness was the first pitch for euthanasia.

Grant hated his acting in the picture and considered it one of his least favorite movies,​

A March Through Film History: Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

I suspect that Grant felt that way because of the storyline. Movies with such terrible messages were the exception in the 1940s.

But I watch Gunga Din every time it's on TCM
To WillHaftawaite: Good choice. Grant said that Gunga Din was one his favorite movies because he had fun making it. I read somewhere that he and Fairbanks spent their spare time playing pranks on Victor McLaglen —— a risky pastime since McLaglen went six rounds in an exhibition bout with Jack Johnson.

New Topics

Forum List

Back