Serenity

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
I just saw this movie, and I must say...go see it, now. This movie is what Star Wars was when it first came out, a thrilling adventure of some rogues with questionable ethics fighting against a malignant government. For fans of the Firefly series, this movie reveals much more about the enigmatic teen, River Tam, as well as a few more interesting secrets. For those of you who haven't seen Firefly, go see it. But in the meantime, it's about the crew of one, unarmed transport and, in this case, their adventures involving a brilliant but deadly government experiment, who was given sanctuary in exchange for her M.D. brother's services. In the movie, the government finally picks up the trail and comes at her full force for a terrible secret she harbors, and one that will not be revealed until the end. Until then, one of that government's operatives is more than willing to kill anyone who stands between him and River Tam. If you liked the original Star Wars, you'll love Serenity. If you didn't like the original Star Wars, well, you'll probably like Serenity, anyway. Just go see it.

Zhukov said:
And since I know there are a few fans here, the creator of Firefly/Serenity is the same guy who created Buffy, Joss Whedon.

Yes, that is correct.

Also, I forgot to list one thing. This movie provides an interesting interperetation on the pursuit of utopia.

I loved it as well. Friends of mine had the boxed set of Firefly and I became a fan of the storyline then, so it was great to see it on the big screen.

I agree with Hobbitt, if you're looking for a blast of a movie, go see it.

I've been looking forward to this movie. Don't give any spoilers until after I have seen it, probably this Friday...

no1tovote4 said:
I've been looking forward to this movie. Don't give any spoilers until after I have seen it, probably this Friday...

Yes, I'm definitely anti-spoiler (or pro-surprise, if you prefer). If you really want to know something about the movie and it won't ruin your day to see a spoiler, pm me so nobody else risks seeing it.

Hobbit said:
I just saw this movie, and I must say...go see it, now. This movie is what Star Wars was when it first came out, a thrilling adventure of some rogues with questionable ethics fighting against a malignant government. For fans of the Firefly series, this movie reveals much more about the enigmatic teen, River Tam, as well as a few more interesting secrets. For those of you who haven't seen Firefly, go see it. But in the meantime, it's about the crew of one, unarmed transport and, in this case, their adventures involving a brilliant but deadly government experiment, who was given sanctuary in exchange for her M.D. brother's services. In the movie, the government finally picks up the trail and comes at her full force for a terrible secret she harbors, and one that will not be revealed until the end. Until then, one of that government's operatives is more than willing to kill anyone who stands between him and River Tam. If you liked the original Star Wars, you'll love Serenity. If you didn't like the original Star Wars, well, you'll probably like Serenity, anyway. Just go see it.

Good comparison to Star Wars. I never really thought about it before, but Mal is very Han Solo-ish.

The movie isn't as charecter driven as the series, but that is to be expected to some extent when dealing with a feature film. Summer Glau kicks ass as River in the movie, and she definately plays a bigger part in the overall story then she did in the series.

To avoid spoilers, I'll stop there, I hate them too. The Sixth Sense was ruined for me because of it. I'll just encourage everyone to see Serenity. Even if you never saw the series, they give enough background that you will not be lost. If you like sci-fi, westerns, or just actions movies, you will like it. Even if that isn't normally your cup of tea, I think you will still like it.

Hobbit said:

I plan on seeing it simply because of the brilliance of Joss Whedon

Bonnie said:
I plan on seeing it simply because of the brilliance of Joss Whedon

Angel - the best thing to come out of "Buffy". :D

I miss Angel - the show...tons.

More than I miss 'buffy' - when Buffy changed networks, I stopped watching, but followed Angel to the end.

dmp said:
Angel - the best thing to come out of "Buffy". :D

I miss Angel - the show...tons.

More than I miss 'buffy' - when Buffy changed networks, I stopped watching, but followed Angel to the end.

Angel got even better when Spike joined the show. I loved both Buffy and Angel, good thing I can relive on dvd.. :p:

Forum List

Back