Sequestration — a threat less than a month away

Maobama campaigned on a blalanced approach, he asked to 85 billion in revenue to be balanced with spending cuts. Now he wants 160 billion in revenue and increased spending and you folks have the nerve to bring up good faith, REALLY?

I think you are unfamiliar with the art of the deal, you do not start with what you would settle for, you start with what would be a total loss for the opposition and compromise towards where you would settle. Any real estate agent or car dealer is familiar with this tactic.

I've been through the best sales training in the world and I know a liar when I see one, Maobama is a liar.

Maobama campaigned on a blalanced approach, he asked to 85 billion in revenue to be balanced with spending cuts. Now he wants 160 billion in revenue and increased spending and you folks have the nerve to bring up good faith, REALLY?

I think you are unfamiliar with the art of the deal, you do not start with what you would settle for, you start with what would be a total loss for the opposition and compromise towards where you would settle. Any real estate agent or car dealer is familiar with this tactic.

I've been through the best sales training in the world and I know a liar when I see one, Maobama is a liar.

So what are the house republicans then? Honest? I so amused at the shock when Obama continually refuses to be the weak pushover you guys want him to be. Republicans are dealing with a tough customer here and are probably still underestimating their opponent. Obama on the other hand is currently not interfering with the republican's amazing display of self destruction.

Oh spare us! Obama failed us ALL and idiots like you give him a virtual cyber blow job everyday.

This issue is about more than just Obama, you should be familiar enough with the background already to know that every bit of this a result of an overreaching overconfident congress back in 2011 thinking they could start the nastiest budget battle ever and not have to compromise on a single thing.

Are you kidding me? Did you see Geithner's offer? You're right. It's about a whole administration gone astray and one Pretender-in-Chief paying little to no attention at all.

his offer was the only offer he was going to give out?

How odd.

I agree. It is the only way to make everyone feel some pain.

Still, even for me, it is sad to see the republicans trip over their own feet and fail their voters so completely.

I don't think there is a soul out there who doesn't thnk we need to cut spending. The problem always becomes "where". At least with sequestration, there are no sacred cows so to speak, and therefore I say we do it and see what happens.

Everywhere. Let's start with 20% across the board and go from there, with the goal being 50% overall (though I'd prefer 75%).

Unless Congress acts before Jan. 1, there will be an immediate 9.4 percent across-the-board cut in money for defense programs and an 8.2 percent reduction in money for domestic initiatives, according to a report released in September by the White House.

Sequestration — a threat less than a month away - The Washington Post

Will the GOP support UE benefits for all of the military industrial complex workers who lose their jobs?

This was Obama's deal. He chose to kick the can down the road while he spent his time endlessly campaigning for a job he doesn't seem to want to do. He's had over a year to get this settled and has done nothing. If sequestration happens, Obama has himself to blame.

This issue has the possibility of producing the final nail in the coffin of the GOP. The divide is growing within the party and the GOP leadership is first and foremost concerned with the cost to themselves personally if they pick the wrong side. Party before country before the election, now it's all about "how does this effect me"; a question always the first on the mind of those in power who do not deserve power. It is the sign of someone who is not a leader.

Boehner should and must do the right thing for the country. Doing so puts him squarely against the Tea Party coalition and Grover Norquist, Rush Limbaugh and other ideologues on the far right. Not doing so puts him in the cross hairs of the middle class and most moderate Americans.

Boehner will face an even greater challenge when minority leader Pelosi uses the Discharge Petition forcing Boehner's hand and, if he will not act, putting his career in great jeopardy.

The right thing for the country is to insist that we spend less than we take in.

Forum List

Back