September national preparedness month

Thanks for posting this bugger. This is code for us in the know to ramp up on FEMA camp preparation. I have personally been told that I will be in charge of the Republican swine that threw the 2000 election.

Woohoo! It begins!

I guess you guys are still having trouble getting over the 2000 election...
That's good to know.I will file that for use later on.

Good thread. You could say that I fall inside the survivalist camp, as opposed to a full-blown "prepper". I don't have a bug-out back, nor have I built a bunker stocked full of canned food. Though I own two guns (12-bore shotgun and a .22 rimfire) and know how to kill and dress game animals and wildfowl. I also count my extensive knowledge and experience in civil engineering as an advantage. And I'm an competent archer.

That's a start. I currently have 3 x 55 gal drums of food, a couple of drums each of diesel and gasoline. About 200 gallons of water, but a filtration system that will take all but the smallest particles out of the water, a butt-load of ammo for my most effective firearms. The ability to do just about anything by hand (the old way), including fletch and use arrows/bolts. I also have about 200 lbs of salt, a variety of heirloom seeds, a working knowledge of medicinal herbs and plants (both cultivated and wild). Add the livestock, I think I'm pretty well set up.

Do you have a plan? Do you have a preparing mentality? That is what the government is asking. I really feel sorry for those who are on government assistance if things really go down hill.
If you are prepared do so. Try to prepare yourself for what might happen around you.
What type of environment do you live in.
CDC Features - Be Ready! September is National Preparedness Month

I wonder how many have bug out bags on stand by?

It depends on your location whether or not you need a bug out bag.

My strategy is to shelter in place or go to another residence if I must leave my primary residence.

Good thread. You could say that I fall inside the survivalist camp, as opposed to a full-blown "prepper". I don't have a bug-out back, nor have I built a bunker stocked full of canned food. Though I own two guns (12-bore shotgun and a .22 rimfire) and know how to kill and dress game animals and wildfowl. I also count my extensive knowledge and experience in civil engineering as an advantage. And I'm an competent archer.

That is great, just one question how many other people will be relying on hunting for their food if shit hit the fan?
Imagine 20,000 armed people within a hundred mile radius hunting for their food, around the same time.
I suggest stocking some food.

According to the book "One Second After" it wasn't long before there was no game available for food.

I've been working on having a years supply of food on hand, also water, although I live close to a couple of lakes and a stream where I can get water if I need to...I also have those tablets to make it drinkable. I have a bug out bag with food and water for 3 days, though I don't have extra clothes packed and I do need to work on that.

Do you have a plan? Do you have a preparing mentality? That is what the government is asking. I really feel sorry for those who are on government assistance if things really go down hill.
If you are prepared do so. Try to prepare yourself for what might happen around you.

My strategy is to shelter in place or go to another residence if I must leave my primary residence.

Everybody needs a bug out bag. It will contain things you will need. Say you have just five minutes to get out of your home what do you grab? Those important papers? food clothing personal protection?
Papers I keep in my bug out bag Deed to properties, vehicle titles, Home owners insurances, Birth certificates, cash, some gold, Passport, Family bible, Copy of The U.S. Constitution, some photos of family members no longer here. and a few other things, all this is kept in a bag next to my bug out bag. with clothing some food Ammo and fire arm for the specific use.

That is great, just one question how many other people will be relying on hunting for their food if shit hit the fan?
Imagine 20,000 armed people within a hundred mile radius hunting for their food, around the same time.

According to the book "One Second After" it wasn't long before there was no game available for food.

I've been working on having a years supply of food on hand, also water, although I live close to a couple of lakes and a stream where I can get water if I need to...I also have those tablets to make it drinkable. I have a bug out bag with food and water for 3 days, though I don't have extra clothes packed and I do need to work on that.

That's good, you can use bleach to treat untreated water and to make it even cheaper you can go to wal mart get some pool shock and make your own bleach. I also suggest save a few of those 20oz soda bottles you can purify your water using them its called SODIS

How to Purify Water with Sunlight (Modern Survival Blog)

Nothing wrong with that.......what about being away from home at that moment?

That's a start. I currently have 3 x 55 gal drums of food, a couple of drums each of diesel and gasoline. About 200 gallons of water, but a filtration system that will take all but the smallest particles out of the water, a butt-load of ammo for my most effective firearms. The ability to do just about anything by hand (the old way), including fletch and use arrows/bolts. I also have about 200 lbs of salt, a variety of heirloom seeds, a working knowledge of medicinal herbs and plants (both cultivated and wild). Add the livestock, I think I'm pretty well set up.

Cool, what's your address?

Thank you, bigreb and Gallantwarrior, I appreciate the encouragement.

Although I've known how to kill and skin a rabbit since childhood, I started taking serious stock of my position in the pecking order upon advice from my father-in-law. My wife's American and nearly all of her family hunt. While in their company I soon realised how utterly unprepared I would be in the event of societal collapse or something close to it. That was compounded after the financial meltdown and the Euro taking a nose dive. As I already stated, I'm not stockpiling or anything like that, but the notion of survivalism and the big 'what if' played a leading role when we bought our house. I insisted on us living on a hill so as to enable us to enjoy a good defensive position (as well nice views). We also live close to wooded hill country where deer and wild boar live in abundance and I've taught myself how to stalk, dress and prepare them. We also shoot and eat a lot of pigeons, and combined with the game we take, it's made a noticable impact on our expenditure. We also grow most of our own vegetables. And aside from our guns, I know how to make arrows for my bow that fly true with everday materials (you can make very effective broadheads with half a baked bean can that's been folded, heated and beaten).

I've toyed with the idea of taking our property off the grid, but I'm ccontractor and I need a reliable energy source and internet connection.

All in all, I get a serious sense of accomplishment and wellbeing out of not being totally reliant on outside sources for sustenance, though my wife draws the line at brewing my own beer because of the smell.

Thank you, bigreb and Gallantwarrior, I appreciate the encouragement.

Although I've known how to kill and skin a rabbit since childhood, I started taking serious stock of my position in the pecking order upon advice from my father-in-law. My wife's American and nearly all of her family hunt. While in their company I soon realised how utterly unprepared I would be in the event of societal collapse or something close to it. That was compounded after the financial meltdown and the Euro taking a nose dive. As I already stated, I'm not stockpiling or anything like that, but the notion of survivalism and the big 'what if' played a leading role when we bought our house. I insisted on us living on a hill so as to enable us to enjoy a good defensive position (as well nice views). We also live close to wooded hill country where deer and wild boar live in abundance and I've taught myself how to stalk, dress and prepare them. We also shoot and eat a lot of pigeons, and combined with the game we take, it's made a noticable impact on our expenditure. We also grow most of our own vegetables. And aside from our guns, I know how to make arrows for my bow that fly true with everday materials (you can make very effective broadheads with half a baked bean can that's been folded, heated and beaten).

I've toyed with the idea of taking our property off the grid, but I'm ccontractor and I need a reliable energy source and internet connection.

All in all, I get a serious sense of accomplishment and wellbeing out of not being totally reliant on outside sources for sustenance, though my wife draws the line at brewing my own beer because of the smell.

Nothing wrong with any of that, but stock up on a little food. You don't have to go over board, just enough that you feel comfortable with. Start with 4 weeks supply and see how that works.,

In my car i only carry a bottle of water, kleenex, SAK and a hat and jacket.

What i really do is look at the disaster that is most likely to happen.

That would be snowed in for 3 weeks witout power. That is what i prepare for, That should take in a lot of others scenarios.

Also, I beelive that the likelyhood of the shit hitting the fan to be almost zero.

That would be snowed in for 3 weeks witout power. That is what i prepare for, That should take in a lot of others scenarios.

Also, I beelive that the likelyhood of the shit hitting the fan to be almost zero.

What happens if your house is destroyed in a fire and you were there to get some things out? It may not be a shit hit the fan for others but it will be for you.

What happens if your house is destroyed in a fire and you were there to get some things out? It may not be a shit hit the fan for others but it will be for you.

i have a second residence, two travel trailers at a camp ground and homeowners insurance

A fire would get me out from under this mortgage

i have a second residence, two travel trailers at a camp ground and homeowners insurance

I am not talking about the actual house, I'm talking about those important things that you feel is important. Yes it may thrill you because it may get you from under that mortgage but you will have lost important paper work in the process.

I am not talking about the actual house, I'm talking about those important things that you feel is important. Yes it may thrill you because it may get you from under that mortgage but you will have lost important paper work in the process.

they are right here beside me in a metal box

they are right here beside me in a metal box

Well that's a start. I applaud anyone who think past today, and prepares even if it's just a little bit. Something is better than having just the clothes on your back and what gas you have in your tank.

That's good, you can use bleach to treat untreated water and to make it even cheaper you can go to wal mart get some pool shock and make your own bleach. I also suggest save a few of those 20oz soda bottles you can purify your water using them its called SODIS

How to Purify Water with Sunlight (Modern Survival Blog)

must be why sun tea tastes so good.

Couldn't believe it, was in the store the other day and some woman walked by asking another how to make sun tea, she didn't know either. I popped up and said "You put some water in a jar, you put the tea in a jar, you put it in the sun and wait several hours. Voila! Sun Tea" then there all like "But how come it tastes so good?"

Forum List

Back