Sept. 1st - Dove Season

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Do they still open the dove season on September 1st? If so, it starts today. Dove hunting is one of the few hunting sports where the southwestern U.S. can boast it probably has the best. Twenty years or so ago, I hunted doves every year. We would go over to AZ and hunt out of Mesa.

But I put the guns away some time back and haven't done much bird hunting since. I miss it. I'm sure where we used to hunt (down toward Florence out of Mesa) is probably all houses and shopping centers now. (If anyone is familiar with that area, tell me - am I right?)

Early dawn, birds start to fly, hotter than hell, knocking down white wings - I really do miss it.

I dove hunted once, it was like trying to shoot a laser beam with a BB gun,lol. Anyone that can shoot a dove is a good shot even though I too no longer hunt.

Do they still open the dove season on September 1st? If so, it starts today. Dove hunting is one of the few hunting sports where the southwestern U.S. can boast it probably has the best. Twenty years or so ago, I hunted doves every year. We would go over to AZ and hunt out of Mesa.

But I put the guns away some time back and haven't done much bird hunting since. I miss it. I'm sure where we used to hunt (down toward Florence out of Mesa) is probably all houses and shopping centers now. (If anyone is familiar with that area, tell me - am I right?)

Early dawn, birds start to fly, hotter than hell, knocking down white wings - I really do miss it.
Georgie I can't believe you started a thread about the start of a hunting season and then didn't include pics or video!

Tempted to neg. :evil:

[youtube]m8NcsYz4Ukg[/youtube]

Thread saved!

Pigeon shooting is fun, but they are not always that good to eat. Here's a little bit of the real thing:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah6RnAWkQOc&feature=related]YouTube - Kentucky Dove Hunt[/ame]

An interesting point about using a dog while hunting doves - generally not a good idea for a number of reasons. The main one is, it is almost always way too hot for the dog. Dove hunting in AZ on Sept. 1st can produce temps approaching 120 degrees. Not good for the dog.

Additionally, doves do not have that much of a distinctive odor for the dog, so they are hard to find. They are also hard for the dog to pick up and often leave his mouth full of feathers.

In all of the dove hunting I did, and I did a lot of it over a span of some 25 years, I rarely saw any other hunters with dogs. Usually, when a hunter had a dog, the dog was just along for the ride and was not seriously used in the hunt.

Last edited:
Just keep an eye on that Cheney character; he likes to shoot his hunting partners.

Forum List

Back