Separation of Commerce and State

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I've been of the opinion, for some time now, that the next big advancement in the development of liberal democracy will be a recognition that maintaining a free society requires a strong constitutional prohibition against collusion between government and financial interests. I'd like to discuss here how that might be brought about sooner, rather than later.

I put this in the history section because much of my conviction that this is a good idea comes from our experience with similar collusion between government and religious interests. Some of the ugliest tyrannies in our past occurred with these two forms of power were combined.

There have been significant examples already of the dangers of business and government getting in bed together, but I think the worst is yet to come. I'm concerned that it will take a couple of serious bouts with corporatist fascism before we learn our lesson. But I do hope we might find a way to head it off at the pass - to steer around it before we see the worst of it.

I realize this idea isn't currently popular with either side of the political divide. And I'm willing to defend the idea and make my case to detractors. But I'm most interested in sharing ideas with people who do think it's a worthwhile goal.

I've been of the opinion, for some time now, that the next big advancement in the development of liberal democracy will be a recognition that maintaining a free society requires a strong constitutional prohibition against collusion between government and financial interests. I'd like to discuss here how that might be brought about sooner, rather than later.

I put this in the history section because much of my conviction that this is a good idea comes from our experience with similar collusion between government and religious interests. Some of the ugliest tyrannies in our past occurred with these two forms of power were combined.

There have been significant examples already of the dangers of business and government getting in bed together, but I think the worst is yet to come. I'm concerned that it will take a couple of serious bouts with corporatist fascism before we learn our lesson. But I do hope we might find a way to head it off at the pass - to steer around it before we see the worst of it.

I realize this idea isn't currently popular with either side of the political divide. And I'm willing to defend the idea and make my case to detractors. But I'm most interested in sharing ideas with people who do think it's a worthwhile goal.

I agree completely. The interference in the economy by the state enriches some at the expense of others. The state co-opting money, the cartelization of the banking system, the regulatory barriers to entering business, and price controls. These all are counter-economic and retard prosperity.

The words "maintaining a free society requires a constitutional prohibition" and "corporate fascism" rings the warning gongs. The greatest society in the world has done pretty well with the guidelines set by the geniuses who created the Constitution. If criminality and "fascism" exists in the greatest Country in the world the media (sustained by the 1st Amendment) has the power and some would say the duty to expose it.

The words "maintaining a free society requires a constitutional prohibition" and "corporate fascism" rings the warning gongs. The greatest society in the world has done pretty well with the guidelines set by the geniuses who created the Constitution. If criminality and "fascism" exists in the greatest Country in the world the media (sustained by the 1st Amendment) has the power and some would say the duty to expose it.

uh.... ok?

An interesting concept but business and money interests would not allow this.

uh.... ok?
OK what? Do you think the American capitalist society is akin to fascism or are you some poster in a safe house in youpickyournosestan?

uh.... ok?
OK what? Do you think the American capitalist society is akin to fascism or are you some poster in a safe house in youpickyournosestan?

Neither of those. You need to check in your warning gongs.

Yes. Having the economic and political power concentrated in the same few hands is precisely what the situation in Soviet Russia.

As it became increasingly the case here, during first decade of this century, we saw the same hallmarks; arbitrary detainment, widespread espionage against the citizenry, and even the use of torture.

Forum List

Back