Separation, I agree, will solve everyones' race problem

Just one problem, you have an entire political party hell bent on preventing minorities from achieving any parity, Democrats have spent the last 50 years teaching blacks to be DEPENDENT on them for every thing.
i honestly believe that anyone currently living in poverty, regardless of race/color/etc, can in fact work their way out of it within just a generation or two if/when we focus on helping their children realize their potential, and they can do this despite all the barriers they might face, including political corruption and dominance.

if we can help a child to see their potenial and realize they have to power to rise above their environment if they focus on what's important (i.e. getting a good education), then that child stands a much better chance of not repeating the cycle of dependence which is born of broken hopes and dreams - we've got to help these kids dream big and realize their potential.

even in the worst school district imagineable, the information to educate ones self is more readily available in this day and age than it has ever been before.

in books i have read about abe lincoln, there is a common thread throughout his difficult childhood - a thirst for knowledge. abe walked miles to borrow books to read and was often noticed reading as he walked - so enthralled by what he was reading that he didn't even notice when friends would say hello.

that's the kind of thirst for knowledge that cannot be squelched by any outside person, place or thing - abraham lincoln is a shining example of a rags to riches story in our history that changed the course of mankind.

the question in my mind is how can we distill that kind of undeniable thirst for knowledge in all of our children today?

when i was a kid, i remember a commercial that used to run a lot on saturday's when i was, like most kids in that day and time, watching cartoons, and the catch phrase of that commercial was, "a mind is a terrible thing to waste". somehow that phrase stuck with me over the years and i have sought to learn as much as my mind is capable of comprehending since those formative years.

we've got to reach these kids before the light of hope and wonder goes out - once that happens, they become very hard to reach.

so the main question, from my perspective, on how do we resolve our racial issues in this country today, is how do we reach the children an instill an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and hope within them?
Stop whites from being racists.
unfortunately, there will most likely always be a certain amount of racism - just like there will always be race hustlers. i don't believe the resolution of our remaining racial issues can nor should be dependent on how many racists/hustlers are around - instead, i believe we must develop a solution and engage all available resources to attack the problem at it's roots (i.e. we have to find a way to reach the children).

in my view, our media today is a prime example of the old adage, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" (i.e. it's the racists and hustlers who get the media attention which can lead our society to believe that the majorty of our citizenry falls into those well published categories - when in fact, i'm convinced the vast majority of our society would gladly engage together to resolve our remaining racial issues if only we had some good and inspirational leadership).

we need a leader like abraham lincoln who believes in and encourages "the better angels of our nature" to make it happen.
I was with you until you invoked ole Abe. There will always be racial issues as long as whites are fearful, racist, and unwilling to accept the truth. The effects of racism can be mitigated by Blacks and other people of color concentrating on their own communities. Whites can only do so much until the truth starts hitting them. Most cant take it and revert back to denial or outright bigoted/racists views as a self defense mechanism..
i guess in my view, the greatest racial issue of our time is directly associted with poverty (i.e. poverty breeds drug dealers, gang bangers, criminal behavior, etc) - so any approach to resolving our remaining racial issues that does not focus squarely on how we break folks free from the chains of poverty will be short sighted at best (i.e. a lot of the racial tensions are directly related to crime which is directly related to poverty - at least in my current view/opinion).

and yes, while there will undoubtedly always be some die-hard racists in our society, i'm a firm believer that we "average" americans have much more in common than we seem to recognize and appreciate, and once we stop all the bickering/blaming and start focusing on the development and implementation of a viable solution, we can make great strides in the eradication of poverty.

it is my belief that once we conquer poverty, race relations will quite naturally improve.

how do we attack poverty? in my view, it's by reaching the kids who through no fault of their own are born into those toxic environments. if we adults will just take the time to mentor our children and show them how to nurture their aptitude and achieve their potenial, firmly believe we can make an enormous difference in the next generation.

for me, it's all about getting our kids focused on getting an education - because knowledge is the key that will unlock the door.

i mentioned old abe because that's the kind of leadership, in my view, that we need (i.e. someone who will go against the grain and appeal to the best in all of us, regardless of race/creed/color, to come together and work toward a common solution to benefit future generations).
I think you need to go a step further. Poverty alone is not the reason for crime in Black ghettos. Its the lack of hope combined with poverty that creates these conditions where you have gangs. If you as a kid see no point in school because you still see educated Blacks being discriminated against you are not going to value education as much as you should. Its going to make you bitter. The hope for a better life has to be there. These kids need to see examples of success that look like them, talk like them, and share the same cultural values they do while still being able to operate in the mainstream world. I've seen the glaze in kids eyes when talking to a successful Black person that cant relate to them.

i honestly believe that anyone currently living in poverty, regardless of race/color/etc, can in fact work their way out of it within just a generation or two if/when we focus on helping their children realize their potential, and they can do this despite all the barriers they might face, including political corruption and dominance.

if we can help a child to see their potenial and realize they have to power to rise above their environment if they focus on what's important (i.e. getting a good education), then that child stands a much better chance of not repeating the cycle of dependence which is born of broken hopes and dreams - we've got to help these kids dream big and realize their potential.

even in the worst school district imagineable, the information to educate ones self is more readily available in this day and age than it has ever been before.

in books i have read about abe lincoln, there is a common thread throughout his difficult childhood - a thirst for knowledge. abe walked miles to borrow books to read and was often noticed reading as he walked - so enthralled by what he was reading that he didn't even notice when friends would say hello.

that's the kind of thirst for knowledge that cannot be squelched by any outside person, place or thing - abraham lincoln is a shining example of a rags to riches story in our history that changed the course of mankind.

the question in my mind is how can we distill that kind of undeniable thirst for knowledge in all of our children today?

when i was a kid, i remember a commercial that used to run a lot on saturday's when i was, like most kids in that day and time, watching cartoons, and the catch phrase of that commercial was, "a mind is a terrible thing to waste". somehow that phrase stuck with me over the years and i have sought to learn as much as my mind is capable of comprehending since those formative years.

we've got to reach these kids before the light of hope and wonder goes out - once that happens, they become very hard to reach.

so the main question, from my perspective, on how do we resolve our racial issues in this country today, is how do we reach the children an instill an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and hope within them?
Stop whites from being racists.
unfortunately, there will most likely always be a certain amount of racism - just like there will always be race hustlers. i don't believe the resolution of our remaining racial issues can nor should be dependent on how many racists/hustlers are around - instead, i believe we must develop a solution and engage all available resources to attack the problem at it's roots (i.e. we have to find a way to reach the children).

in my view, our media today is a prime example of the old adage, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" (i.e. it's the racists and hustlers who get the media attention which can lead our society to believe that the majorty of our citizenry falls into those well published categories - when in fact, i'm convinced the vast majority of our society would gladly engage together to resolve our remaining racial issues if only we had some good and inspirational leadership).

we need a leader like abraham lincoln who believes in and encourages "the better angels of our nature" to make it happen.
I was with you until you invoked ole Abe. There will always be racial issues as long as whites are fearful, racist, and unwilling to accept the truth. The effects of racism can be mitigated by Blacks and other people of color concentrating on their own communities. Whites can only do so much until the truth starts hitting them. Most cant take it and revert back to denial or outright bigoted/racists views as a self defense mechanism..
i guess in my view, the greatest racial issue of our time is directly associted with poverty (i.e. poverty breeds drug dealers, gang bangers, criminal behavior, etc) - so any approach to resolving our remaining racial issues that does not focus squarely on how we break folks free from the chains of poverty will be short sighted at best (i.e. a lot of the racial tensions are directly related to crime which is directly related to poverty - at least in my current view/opinion).

and yes, while there will undoubtedly always be some die-hard racists in our society, i'm a firm believer that we "average" americans have much more in common than we seem to recognize and appreciate, and once we stop all the bickering/blaming and start focusing on the development and implementation of a viable solution, we can make great strides in the eradication of poverty.

it is my belief that once we conquer poverty, race relations will quite naturally improve.

how do we attack poverty? in my view, it's by reaching the kids who through no fault of their own are born into those toxic environments. if we adults will just take the time to mentor our children and show them how to nurture their aptitude and achieve their potenial, firmly believe we can make an enormous difference in the next generation.

for me, it's all about getting our kids focused on getting an education - because knowledge is the key that will unlock the door.

i mentioned old abe because that's the kind of leadership, in my view, that we need (i.e. someone who will go against the grain and appeal to the best in all of us, regardless of race/creed/color, to come together and work toward a common solution to benefit future generations).
I think you need to go a step further. Poverty alone is not the reason for crime in Black ghettos. Its the lack of hope combined with poverty that creates these conditions where you have gangs. If you as a kid see no point in school because you still see educated Blacks being discriminated against you are not going to value education as much as you should. Its going to make you bitter. The hope for a better life has to be there. These kids need to see examples of success that look like them, talk like them, and share the same cultural values they do while still being able to operate in the mainstream world. I've seen the glaze in kids eyes when talking to a successful Black person that cant relate to them.
yes, i agree - poverty and the lack of hope combined is no doubt at the root of the problem (i.e. if one is born into poverty and cannot see anyway out, hopelessness sets in providing fertile soil for criminal activity).

i guess the point i was trying to make is that we simply can't address our remaining racial issues in this country without addressing the families who find themselves stuck in a cycle of poverty with no obvious way out.

poverty alone is and can be a very diabilitating influence on young lives, purely and simply because it is so difficult to work your way out of that toxic environment. when a kid is raised in neighborhoods where gang bangers are looked upon as "leaders", there is very little hope that kid will find a way out.

unless/until we, as the adults, provide the positive role models and influences consistently to impact their young lives, these kids will inevitably migrate toward a life of crime.

you bring up a very important point about just how difficult it is to relate to these kids in a very tangible way in order to get their attention and win them over (i.e. they are naturally going to be very suspicicious of any outsider coming in for relatively short periods of time to share a foreign way of looking at life and the future).

this is where i have to admit i hit a wall, in just how we can build and execute a plan to make this work. i think you are right, the big question is, how do we win their confidence so that they can hear the message.

it is my belief that once we conquer poverty, race relations will quite naturally improve.。。。.

sO, NEVER THEN.
perhaps never conquered completely, but vastly improved compared to the multi-generations that are currently trapped in the cycle. if we all just say never, then yes you are correct, things will never change. if, on the other hand, we all say enough and put aside our differences to develop an implement a concerted plan to combat poverty, then i firmly believe things will change for the betterment of all involved.

it is my belief that once we conquer poverty, race relations will quite naturally improve.。。。.

sO, NEVER THEN.
perhaps never conquered completely, but vastly improved compared to the multi-generations that are currently trapped in the cycle. if we all just say never, then yes you are correct, things will never change. if, on the other hand, we all say enough and put aside our differences to develop an implement a concerted plan to combat poverty, then i firmly believe things will change for the betterment of all involved.

The first step would be to educate simpletons like you.....do away with government schools and Liberal control of the press.

In truth, it's probably too late.....there are too may of you drones: the tipping point is well past.

I'm not a Muslim and I don't believe in Louis Farrakhan but I DO agree with him that separation between the races will solve everyones' race problem (if I understand him corrcectly)!

Oh pfft.
The idea of separation is so dumb...how do you determine where the line is...what side everyone fits into. Multi-cultural is normal.
I realize there are still issues from past (and present) inequality but completely separating wont solve anything.

sO, NEVER THEN.

The first step would be to educate simpletons like you.....do away with government schools and Liberal control of the press.

In truth, it's probably too late.....there are too may of you drones: the tipping point is well past.
if believing there is a way to improve race relations makes me a "simpleton" in your eyes, so be it. i would much rather seek to be part of the solution than one who just hurls insults and names a thousands reasons why nothing will ever work.

this country is a melting pot of immigrants from all around the world and it always will be - segregationist would suppose that all would be well if we simply divide all of our countrymen into racial groups and form separate civilizations. that goes against everything that has made the u.s. what it is today (i.e. a combination of multiple cultures, races, beliefs, etc into one unique entity that in so many ways is the envy of the world).

have you ever even tried to imagine productive ways to improve race relations and/or the poverty rate, or do you just sit back and and hurl insults at those who do?

sO, NEVER THEN.

if believing there is a way to improve race relations makes me a "simpleton" in your eyes, so be it. i would much rather seek to be part of the solution than one who just hurls insults and names a thousands reasons why nothing will ever work.

this country is a melting pot of immigrants from all around the world and it always will be - segregationist would suppose that all would be well if we simply divide all of our countrymen into racial groups and form separate civilizations. that goes against everything that has made the u.s. what it is today (i.e. a combination of multiple cultures, races, beliefs, etc into one unique entity that in so many ways is the envy of the world).

have you ever even tried to imagine productive ways to improve race relations and/or the poverty rate, or do you just sit back and and hurl insults at those who do?

1. I was being kind with 'simpleton.'
I really meant imbecile.....or Liberal, same difference.

2. For example, this bit of inanity:
"it always will be - segregationist would suppose that all would be well if we simply divide all of our countrymen into racial groups and form separate civilizations."

You imbeciles,....er, Liberals,....only see groups.
This nation was founded and functions best when we see each other as individuals.

Stop telling folks they are victims, and everyone else is their enemy.
Stop championing big government and honor hard work and personal responsibility.
The successful businessman: he did build that.

3. "have you ever even tried to imagine productive ways to improve race relations and/or the poverty rate, or do you just sit back and and hurl insults at those who do?"
I can multitask: I do both.

sO, NEVER THEN.

"it always will be - segregationist would suppose that all would be well if we simply divide all of our countrymen into racial groups and form separate civilizations."

This nation was founded and functions best when we see each other as individuals.

Stop championing big government and honor hard work and personal responsibility.

3. "have you ever even tried to imagine productive ways to improve race relations and/or the poverty rate, or do you just sit back and and hurl insults at those who do?"
just more insults and no positive ideas, you answered my question..........and for your information, i do not consider myself a "liberal" by any means.........i believe in and have always devoted myself to hard work and preparing myself to achieve my potential in life, so your assumptions about me are totally wrong.............but it's not about me.

i do champion hard work and personal responsiblity and have done so my entire life. at the same time, i try to take an open-minded look at the issues we face in this day and age and look for ways to make life better for future generations (as opposed to drinking the koolaide of any political party or racial group).

if all you have is insults and false assumptions, i'm not sure we have anything to discuss.

sO, NEVER THEN.

Dont worry. The younger generations are already proving they can evolve. Go to a diverse high school and you can see for yourself. I am amazed at all the intermingling I see there.

sO, NEVER THEN.

just more insults and no positive ideas, you answered my question..........and for your information, i do not consider myself a "liberal" by any means.........i believe in and have always devoted myself to hard work and preparing myself to achieve my potential in life, so your assumptions about me are totally wrong.............but it's not about me.

i do champion hard work and personal responsiblity and have done so my entire life. at the same time, i try to take an open-minded look at the issues we face in this day and age and look for ways to make life better for future generations (as opposed to drinking the koolaide of any political party or racial group).

if all you have is insults and false assumptions, i'm not sure we have anything to discuss.

1. "i do not consider myself a "liberal" by any means."
A mistake in self-evaluation: if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....

2. "just more insults and no positive ideas"
Did you miss this?

3. ", i try to take an open-minded look at the issues we face in this day and age and look for ways to make life better for future generations (as opposed to drinking the koolaide of any political party or racial group)."
Try...perhaps....but you've failed miserably.

4. Only an imbecile (raise your paw) fails to understand human nature, and that that is the reason there will never.....never....be an end to poverty, at least by the Liberal definition (a slightly smaller flat screen than average).

On the other hand, once you recognize that poverty is 'no home, no heat, no food'.....you will see that poverty in America is essentially zero.

sO, NEVER THEN.

Dont worry. The younger generations are already proving they can evolve. Go to a diverse high school and you can see for yourself. I am amazed at all the intermingling I see there.

"Earlier American presidents, Republicans and Democrats alike, agreed on two basic goals: teach the newcomers English and make them Americans. The clear aim was to strengthen our national identity--to reinforce theunumine pluribus unum--by assimilating the new arrivals into American civilization" . Anti-Americanization

A mistake in self-evaluation: if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....

Did you miss this?

3. ", i try to take an open-minded look at the issues we face in this day and age and look for ways to make life better for future generations (as opposed to drinking the koolaide of any political party or racial group)."

4. Only an imbecile (raise your paw) fails to understand human nature, and that that is the reason there will never.....never....be an end to poverty, at least by the Liberal definition (a slightly smaller flat screen than average).

On the other hand, once you recognize that poverty is 'no home, no heat, no food'.....you will see that poverty in America is essentially zero.
glad to see you can count to four. yes i read each of your statements and all were either insults and/or false assumptions (again) which deserve no reply

Did you miss this?

glad to see you can count to four. yes i read each of your statements and all were either insults and/or false assumptions (again) which deserve no reply

Because there is no reply possible: I am totally correct.

But...I enjoyed ripping you a new one.

Did you miss this?

there is nothing that will keep one in everylasting ignorance any more than contempt prior to investigation - and you have been full of contempt from the get-go.

there is no point in conversing with someone who assumes they have all the answers because you simply are incapable of considering a different point of view.

you did nothing to or for me other than make me feel sorry for you - this is my last response (say whatever you wish, i'm not wasting any more time responding to you).

Did you miss this?

there is nothing that will keep one in everylasting ignorance any more than contempt prior to investigation - and you have been full of contempt from the get-go.

there is no point in conversing with someone who assumes they have all the answers because you simply are incapable of considering a different point of view.

you did nothing to or for me other than make me feel sorry for you - this is my last response (say whatever you wish, i'm not wasting any more time responding to you).

"....there is no point in conversing with someone who blah blah blah....."

Ah, yes- the Liberal version of the white flag.

Too bad defeat won't make you reconsider your stupidity.

it's disturbing how people seem prone to identify with one extreme or the other on any given issue, and then start making assumptions and hurling insults toward others who do not share their point of view (as if's it's the other persons thoughts/beliefs that is the problem).

I came here looking for open and honest dialogue on how we can improve race relations, and what i've seen/read for the most part is just a bunch of pointless bickering and arguing.

i purely and simply believe that our children are innocent and full of aptitude and enthusiasm for life, and that if we reach them during those formative years and help them to realize that they have everything they need to achieve their hopes and dreams, that we can make a positive change in the future of our society (instead of arguing over trivial things like whether or not someone is a "liberal" or a "racist").

i was born into poverty and had the good fortune of having a mentor (guidance counselor in my school) who took an interest in me when i was in the 6th grade and headed for trouble. this mentor helped me to see clearly where i was headed and what my options were. i went from a F/D student (D's were given just to pass me on to the next grade) to an A student almost over night and never looked back - all because someone gave a damn and took the time to show some interest in me.

i have faith that just because someone is born into poverty, doesn't mean they have to stay there, and the key, in my view, is education. show a kid the way out of poverty, and that's one less person in the welfare line - so it's a win/win proposition for all involved.

i'm not here to argue politics, religion, etc, nor to devote myself to defending the stance of anyone or anything (liberals, conservatives, republicans, democrats, white people, black people, red people, etc) - i'm simply here to share my ideas on how we can work together to make life better for future generations. in may view, focusing our time and energy on how to resolve the issue of poverty in our country is one of the best ways we can impact our collective future (including race relations) in a positive way. .

As long as an entire political party is busy telling certain people they are victims and that they need help from big brother and continue to preach division and divide the races nothing will get done, can you guess which party that is?

it's disturbing how people seem prone to identify with one extreme or the other on any given issue, and then start making assumptions and hurling insults toward others who do not share their point of view (as if's it's the other persons thoughts/beliefs that is the problem).

I came here looking for open and honest dialogue on how we can improve race relations, and what i've seen/read for the most part is just a bunch of pointless bickering and arguing.

i purely and simply believe that our children are innocent and full of aptitude and enthusiasm for life, and that if we reach them during those formative years and help them to realize that they have everything they need to achieve their hopes and dreams, that we can make a positive change in the future of our society (instead of arguing over trivial things like whether or not someone is a "liberal" or a "racist").

i was born into poverty and had the good fortune of having a mentor (guidance counselor in my school) who took an interest in me when i was in the 6th grade and headed for trouble. this mentor helped me to see clearly where i was headed and what my options were. i went from a F/D student (D's were given just to pass me on to the next grade) to an A student almost over night and never looked back - all because someone gave a damn and took the time to show some interest in me.

i have faith that just because someone is born into poverty, doesn't mean they have to stay there, and the key, pin my view, is education. show a kid the way out of poverty, and that's one less person in the welfare line - so it's a win/win proposition for all involved.

i'm not here to argue politics, religion, etc, nor to devote myself to defending the stance of anyone or anything (liberals, conservatives, republicans, democrats, white people, black people, red people, etc) - i'm simply here to share my ideas on how we can work together to make life better for future generations. in may view, focusing our time and energy on how to resolve the issue of poverty in our country is one of the best ways we can impact our collective future (including race relations) in a positive way. .
As long as an entire political party is busy telling certain people they are victims and that they need help from big brother and continue to preach division and divide the races nothing will get done, can you guess which party that is?

"we the people" are bigger than any one political party (after all, they supposedly work for us), and neither party can keep us from coming together to reach at risk kids. we can do it in spite of politics and/or politicians (neither of which i have any faith in whatsoever, regardless of party affiliation).

Forum List

Back