Seniors Go Ahead and Die already!!

damn right when i start getting my senior discount..this comes along

do you want to live forever...some chick in some really bad conan movie...i am sure one of the guys knows

Holy crap..not SOME CHICK in a BAD CONAN MOVIE.

It was VALERIA in the BEST MOVIE EVER! Conan, the Barbarian!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTErRPuAhDY]YouTube - Conan The Barbarian - Valeria Fan Tribute[/ame]

Strolling, you need me to educate you on truly great cinema some day. You bring Grey Goose, I'll bring Laphraig.

Retiree Reserve Trust Fund-
(1) ESTABLISHMENT-
(A) IN GENERAL- There is established in the Treasury of the United States a trust fund to be known as the `Retiree Reserve Trust Fund' (referred to in this section as the `Trust Fund'), that shall consist of such amounts as may be appropriated or credited to the Trust Fund as provided for in this subsection to enable the Secretary to carry out the reinsurance program. Such amounts shall remain available until expended.
(B) FUNDING- There are hereby appropriated to the Trust Fund, out of any moneys in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, an amount requested by the Secretary as necessary to carry out this section, except that the total of all such amounts requested shall not exceed $10,000,000,000.

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

hahahaha

This section of the House bill deals with Advance planning and basically says to Seniors that rather than provide medical care , under the bill those under Medicare are entitled to consultation and other services. , basically just go ahead and die!! It's this sort of thing that is buried deep in the bill that people in their zeal for personal comfort would willingly hand over to the Govt.

Actually, it does not say this at all.

It is a clause that encourages seniors to take their head out of the sand, and have a conversation with their doctor about end of life issues.

It might surprise you, but we all are going to die someday. And some people don't want to be stuffed with tubes and attached to machines when that time comes.

It depends on how one looks at it, and while I'm not one to see Govt. intrusions and class seperations as showhow encouraging Seniors to do much of anything I do see the need for end of life planning but as a family matter and NOT a Govt. matter. I completely agree that some people wish to die with diginity and as such should have available to them the resources to do so, however that is an individual issue and not an issue that the Govt. should have anything remotly to do with. While some may see this differently than I then so be it. I tend to think that this sort of legislation scares many Seniors into accepting their fate when they might have other avenues availble to them. Let me give you and example, My own father had cancer and was told by one Doctor that he had 6 months to live , now had he been subject to such a bill he would have of course been subject to some well meaning person that wanted to tell him how to die with diginity. However in hiw own stubborn way my father would not accept that as good enough and finally found a Doctor that would take him and as of today he is 92 and cancer free. So not everyone fits into a box or a balance sheet somewhere. I'd even submit that if these hospice organizations need funding then they should seek that out through the various states in which they reside and not amend the SSA under national healthcare reform in order to get that funding.

So do you suppose Obama will offer monetary incentives to the relatives of old folks who off themselves?

*laughs* you social engineers make me laugh sometimes really and I find your debates if anything entertaining. However, the epic fail part because the head of some National Hospice group says its not what it is? Well I guess you told me huh? If you had bothered to read the whole thing Robert you would have seen that its about amending the SSA to make those requirements and thus leading Seniors into those sessions rather than letting them make whatever decisions they want to make on their own. At the risk of not repeating myself for all you who have no clue on the constitution, I will simply point you to the page in the legislation where the language is contained. If you choose to see that as an innocent then by all means be my guest.

First of all, go to page 386 of your link and read the big, bolded letters.

Now go to page 430, under the section about advanced care planning.

#2 and 3. Payment and limitations.

Amending 42 U.S.C. 1395w and 42 U.S.C. 1395y .

§ 1395w–22. Benefits and beneficiary protections

§ 1395y. Exclusions from coverage and medicare as secondary payer

Now continue reading on to page 431.

"by adding at the end of the following new paragraph:

"(P) in the case of advanced care planning consultations which are performed more frequently than is covered under such section"

So again. This is about mandatory Medicare reimbursement for these consultations, and guidelines as to what these consultations must include to be eligible for reimbursement. Nothing else.

Well I guess you told me huh?

Yeah, I guess I did.

Last edited:
Sec. 1861. [42 U.S.C. 1395x] For purposes of this title—

Spell of Illness
(a) The term “spell of illness” with respect to any individual means a period of consecutive days—

(1) beginning with the first day (not included in a previous spell of illness) (A) on which such individual is furnished inpatient hospital services, inpatient critical access hospital services or extended care services, and (B) which occurs in a month for which he is entitled to benefits under part A, and

(2) ending with the close of the first period of 60 consecutive days thereafter on each of which he is neither an inpatient of a hospital or critical access hospital nor an inpatient of a facility described in section 1819(a)(1) or subsection (y)(1).
Social Security Act §1861

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

42 U.S.C. 1395x simply contains a list of definitions as they apply to that subchapter. Page 425 adds the definition of advance care planning to that list.

This section of the House bill deals with Advance planning and basically says to Seniors that rather than provide medical care , under the bill those under Medicare are entitled to consultation and other services. , basically just go ahead and die!! It's this sort of thing that is buried deep in the bill that people in their zeal for personal comfort would willingly hand over to the Govt.

It is a clause that encourages seniors to take their head out of the sand, and have a conversation with their doctor about end of life issues.

It might surprise you, but we all are going to die someday. And some people don't want to be stuffed with tubes and attached to machines when that time comes.
thank you very much!
Having given end of life care oh about 40 or more times senior citizens need to plan better for this time. They will not set up a power of attorney or guardian so then they have some family member who makes poor choices or takes all they have. or you get the person who is in congestive heart failure with end stage demensia and they are a full code.
A lady died the other day whom I used to take care of with these two things, a week before she died she had a total hip replacement which is stupid move by her doctor and her family.

It depends on how one looks at it, and while I'm not one to see Govt. intrusions and class seperations as showhow encouraging Seniors to do much of anything I do see the need for end of life planning but as a family matter and NOT a Govt. matter.

You seem to be extrapolating a law, which affects the use of Medicare funds (a health insurance), to the point of stating that these laws are a federal edict. Nothing that you have presented even remotely resembles government controlled end of life planning. They are just saying that if a doctor and a patient would like to spend time discussing end of life issues...or even take an entire office visits to solely discuss that topic...that Medicare will pay for it (where it hadn't previously).

In this day and age, physicians are bringing up end of life issues with patients more and more. This is not because of the government mandates or insurance company rules or an attempt to save money. Instead it is an attempt to make sure that the patient's wishes are known and documented, and to let the patient know that they have a say as to what happens to them at their time of dying.

I completely agree that some people wish to die with diginity and as such should have available to them the resources to do so, however that is an individual issue and not an issue that the Govt. should have anything remotly to do with. While some may see this differently than I then so be it. I tend to think that this sort of legislation scares many Seniors into accepting their fate when they might have other avenues availble to them. Let me give you and example, My own father had cancer and was told by one Doctor that he had 6 months to live , now had he been subject to such a bill he would have of course been subject to some well meaning person that wanted to tell him how to die with diginity. However in hiw own stubborn way my father would not accept that as good enough and finally found a Doctor that would take him and as of today he is 92 and cancer free. So not everyone fits into a box or a balance sheet somewhere. I'd even submit that if these hospice organizations need funding then they should seek that out through the various states in which they reside and not amend the SSA under national healthcare reform in order to get that funding.

Good for your father. He was lucky.

However, there is no guarantee that everyone else would be as lucky. Many people try to fight their death (not knowing that they have a choice) and end up in great pain and misery, intubated, with feeding tubes, sitting with their own shit filling their pressure ulcers.

By letting people know that they are REQUIRED to keep fighting and that it is okay for them to say enough, the above can be prevented.

Some people fail to understand that advance care planning doesn't necessarily equate to making a person a DNR. An advance directive can also instruct providers to perform life-sustaining measures, or specific treatments and procedures (such as tube feedings, for example). It doesn't have to include a 'living will' portion at all. That's why it's called a directive.

Some people fail to understand that advance care planning doesn't necessarily equate to making a person a DNR. An advance directive can also instruct providers to perform life-sustaining measures, or specific treatments and procedures (such as tube feedings, for example). It doesn't have to include a 'living will' portion at all. That's why it's called a directive.
people also don't understand that there are different levels of DNR, one could want limited life saving care but still be DNR.

I think better planning for end of life care is very important right now with baby boomers already starting to develope different forms of dementia. Their families need to be better informed of what will happen near the end along with the people who have the disease. Here is one article that talks about the cost and the people who are taking care of family members with the disease unpaid probably do to the high cost of taking care of someone with dementia.
18% of all boomers expected to develop Alzheimer's - USATODAY.com

Last edited:

Exactly.

Because the default is for medical personnel do to absolutely everything.

Which sometimes works against the will of God, as He attempts to bring the patient up to Heaven to be seated at his right hand.

I don't like fucking with God's will.

Exactly.

Which sometimes works against the will of God, as He attempts to bring the patient up to Heaven to be seated at his right hand.

Codes are horrible, almost violent in a way. Nothing of course like portrayed on TV, another pet peeve. They aren't crazy and disorderly but methodical and relatively quiet. (that's not dramatic enough, I suppose... and don't get me started on them shocking asystole...)

Just curious, what do you think of the trend of allowing families to view the code in progress?

people also don't understand that there are different levels of DNR, one could want limited life saving care but still be DNR.

I think better planning for end of life care is very important right now with baby boomers already starting to develope different forms of dementia. Their families need to be better informed of what will happen near the end along with the people who have the disease. Here is one article that talks about the cost and the people who are taking care of family members with the disease unpaid probably do to the high cost of taking care of someone with dementia.

I agree. Do not resuscitate does not mean do not treat.

Last edited:
Sometimes people also want to die but their family will not let them go. This is why they need to come up with their own plan and be made aware of what might happen to them as they near the end of life.
I took care of another lady who's son kept wanting to give her ice cream because she could eat alittle of that as she got closer to dying. When you are not eating and someone gives you dairy as your body is shutting down or any food it is more painful than if they had no food.
I have seen other children of residents who would approve hip replacements, chemo therapy, and other care wanting to extend their parent's life but in reality they are sometimes shortening their life or making it more painful.
I would see residents go off most of their meds when they would be put on hospice and it made them more comfortable.
I am not saying you should push them out the door but if they are close to death anyways why shouldn't you make that time more comfortable and less painful. Plus once they go on hospice they get the good pain meds.

Do not resuscitate does not mean do not treat.
isn't that what I said in the first sentence?
I know exactly what DNR means and the different forms, I had to know what 80 different people's dnr status was or where to find it at any time.

Exactly.

Codes are horrible, almost violent in a way. Nothing of course like portrayed on TV, another pet peeve. They aren't crazy and disorderly but methodical and relatively quiet. (that's not dramatic enough, I suppose... and don't get me started on them shocking asystole...)

Just curious, what do you think of the trend of allowing families to view the code in progress?

I once coded a woman in her thirties with metastatic breast cancer that had spread throughout her body. Because she was young, the meds we were giving her were kick starting her heart and it would beat for a while until the med wore off, then the code would start again.

During the intubation, the vomited and the vomit ran down over her face and into her eyes, which were open (she was unconscious this entire time).

After coding her about 5 times through the night, the family had finally decided to stop the coding and let her go (the metastatic breast cancer was terminal - she had no chance of cure).

When everything was done, and we were cleaning her up, I looked at her eye that was still open...

The acidic vomit from the intubation had eaten a hole right into her eyeball.

Exactly.

I once coded a woman in her thirties with metastatic breast cancer that had spread throughout her body. Because she was young, the meds we were giving her were kick starting her heart and it would beat for a while until the med wore off, then the code would start again.

During the intubation, the vomited and the vomit ran down over her face and into her eyes, which were open (she was unconscious this entire time).

After coding her about 5 times through the night, the family had finally decided to stop the coding and let her go (the metastatic breast cancer was terminal - she had no chance of cure).

When everything was done, and we were cleaning her up, I looked at her eye that was still open...

The acidic vomit from the intubation had eaten a hole right into her eyeball.

That is terrible!
I am lucky that most of the people I saw pass away were no code.
I did have a lady who got her "second wind" and ate all her food one night which she never did. Well she ended up aspirating due to health reasons. When I found her on my last rounds she had the dark brown thick vomit coming out of her nose and mouth.
But like Emma said it isn't crazy like on tv, you just take care of them and think about it later. I couldn't believe how calmed I stayed with that lady and she was the first one I took care of as they died. She is a prime example of why morphine is so great. She had been gasping for air and seemed to be in pain, as soon as the morphine hit she was calm and passed away quickly and with no pain.

Why everyone should have an advance directive (or Why I hate people)

A patient recently had a sudden change in condition. I notified the doc who asked for the patient's son's phone number so he could find out about code status and what he wished for us to do.

Doc calls back a bit later and said the man was now a DNR, we'd just make him comfortable... and the son was on his way in, quite upset. Doc was on his way in as well.

About 10-15 minutes later, son calls; he acknowledged he didn't want his dad on life support or coded, and says doc told him his dad might not make it through the night. I told him I didn't know; he may, he may not. At that point son got very agitated and told me he WANTED us to code dad, and he would be there soon. So I called doc back and told him the DNR was rescinded.

Son and his wife show up. Son goes into dad's room and starts shaking the hell outta the bed, yelling "Dad! Dad!"

'Course, dad didn't respond at all.

I go in and they both start asking me about the machine. Not dad. The fucking machine. I try to explain to them what would happen if dad stopped breathing and such but they kept asking about the machine... how long it would keep him alive, how did we get him on it, couldn't we just send him to ICU and get him on it right now...

I was getting more and more confused. They kept asking for all these details about the machine but obviously no matter how simple the explanation, they hadn't a clue what I was saying. It was quite obvious that their family tree didn't fork, if you know what I mean. I told them that even if he were on the machine, that only kept him breathing; if his heart stopped nothing would keep him alive---the machine didn't do that.

That's when son looked at me really desperate-like and said, "But we're going on vacation in the morning!"

My mouth must have dropped open, or something in my eyes... because son's wife chimes in, "We're already packed and ready to go!!!"

She then looked at her dad-in-law and says, "well, I guess this is important too..."

Son then says, "Can't you just put him on the machine for a week until we get back?"

That's when I had to walk away.

In 25 years, I've never heard anything like that. I was completely stunned and didn't reply except to mutter that the doc was on his way.

OMG.

Doc came in and talked to them (I was a witness) and he was soooo good. Was honest and told son he thought dad was going to die within the next few days, and that even if he did go on the machine, it wouldn't change the outcome.

Son left to discuss this with wife, came back and gave the consent for DNR. Both looked quite pissed off. Then he got upset because I took the BP and sat monitors off. He wanted to know how in the hell he (the son) was supposed to know when dad was dead.

Enter another stunned silence. So I slipped the oximeter back on so he could see the pulse and sat readings.

This is why I hate people; they never fail to amaze me. Just when I thought I'd heard it all. It's obvious why he rescinded the first DNR.

Forum List

Back