Seneca Nation Wants Bloomberg Out Over 'Cowboy Hat and a Shotgun' Comment

Middleman

Defender of the month
May 16, 2010
Northwestern United States
FOXNews.com - Seneca Nation Wants Bloomberg Out Over 'Cowboy Hat and a Shotgun' Comment

Are the Indians being too thin skinned, or should Bloomberg resign? Or maybe they're pulling the race card to help them avoid paying taxes.

A Native American tribe is calling on New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to either apologize or resign after he said on a radio show that Gov. David Paterson -- who's trying to rustle up millions in cigarette taxes from the tribes -- should grab "a cowboy hat and a shotgun" and demand the money.

The mayor made the comments last week during an on-air discussion about the cigarette tax the state of New York wants to impose on Indian tribes starting Sept. 1. The hike has already touched off a court battle, but Bloomberg called for Paterson to flex some frontier justice.

"I said, you know, get yourself a cowboy hat and a shotgun. If there's ever a great video it's you standing in the middle of the New York State Thruway saying, you know, 'Read my lips -- The law of the land is this and we're going to enforce the law,'" he said.

That didn't sit well with the New York tribes.

"If it were any other race of people, he would really have been ridiculed over the words that he said," said J.C. Seneca, a Tribal Council member with the Seneca Nation of Indians.

Nothing some more cigerettes and fire water can't fix.

Is this the same idiot mayor who is going all out to push the mosque on NYC?

What a jackass. That sort of joke would pass between a guy and Indian friends (who would counter with an equally tasteless joke about scalping or god knows what) but essentially it sounds like he's saying they need to rob the Indians. While it is pretty insensitive on the surface, it's the stealing and threatening implications that make it unacceptable.

Doesn't it?

I don't see where Bloomberg even mentions Indians

Secondly, Cowboys did not fight Indians. Cowboys were involved in cattle drives and did not typically engage Indians. No cowboy ever met a Seneca Indian. The cavalry fought indians, settlers fought Indians.

Only in Hollywood did cowboys fight indians

Secondly, Cowboys did not fight Indians. Cowboys were involved in cattle drives and did not typically engage Indians. No cowboy ever met a Seneca Indian. The cavalry fought indians, settlers fought Indians.

he was talking about the tribes selling cigarettes

or didnt you read the story?

Pretty sure that RW is saying that Indians being offended by something that didn't even happen is ludicrous. Now if Bloomberg had made a joke about the US Army and indians, that wouldn't have been cool.

But once again, I wonder when it became cool to be such pussies? No one in this country can take a joke anymore.

Pretty sure that RW is saying that Indians being offended by something that didn't even happen is ludicrous. Now if Bloomberg had made a joke about the US Army and indians, that wouldn't have been cool.

But once again, I wonder when it became cool to be such pussies? No one in this country can take a joke anymore.
i'm part Native American, i dont take offense to it

but i can see how they might
but more on the lines of they want to impose their taxes on the tribes

FOXNews.com - Seneca Nation Wants Bloomberg Out Over 'Cowboy Hat and a Shotgun' Comment

Are the Indians being too thin skinned, or should Bloomberg resign? Or maybe they're pulling the race card to help them avoid paying taxes.

A Native American tribe is calling on New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to either apologize or resign after he said on a radio show that Gov. David Paterson -- who's trying to rustle up millions in cigarette taxes from the tribes -- should grab "a cowboy hat and a shotgun" and demand the money.

The mayor made the comments last week during an on-air discussion about the cigarette tax the state of New York wants to impose on Indian tribes starting Sept. 1. The hike has already touched off a court battle, but Bloomberg called for Paterson to flex some frontier justice.

"I said, you know, get yourself a cowboy hat and a shotgun. If there's ever a great video it's you standing in the middle of the New York State Thruway saying, you know, 'Read my lips -- The law of the land is this and we're going to enforce the law,'" he said.

That didn't sit well with the New York tribes.

"If it were any other race of people, he would really have been ridiculed over the words that he said," said J.C. Seneca, a Tribal Council member with the Seneca Nation of Indians.

Normally Bloomberg isn't that stupid. What was he thinking? The Senecas (nor any other sovereign Indian nation) is required to act as tax collector, although some do, by reporting the names and amounts of purchase in those states who ask them to. It's then up to the state to try to collect from the individual.

The Seneca tribe also has a pending lawsuit against the US Government challenging the PACK ACT which makes it illegal to send cigarettes through the mail. They've already received two TROs to extend the timeframe in order to sell off some inventory, but I think they're now awaiting a final determination in federal court. This may go all the way to the USSC.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back