Sending Kids to jail for profit

It seems the argument should be against privatizing judges not the prisons. But whatever, it's not privatization that causes things like this to happen, it's corruption and greed and the public sector is hardly immune to that either.

I would like to further discuss the points Killuminati raised, but I'm not sure the conversation can stay rational. Is anyone up for another thread where we talk about it and play nice?

Sure, put it in Law & Justice though.

Why TM, it's almost as though you don't think pieces of human excrement like Cheyney shouldn't be making money putting people in for profit prisons so they can be enslaved to work for 30 cents an hour working for private corporations where CEOs can make hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

What are you some kind of freedom-loving commie or something?

If governments aren't allowed to put millions of American in prisons to exploit them as prisoners there might not be enough prisons for all of us eventually.

Last edited:
Why does the US have more prisoners per capita than any other nation?

Could it be based on t he profit motive?

Who is making money off of the prison system? There is a lot more to the story than a couple of allegedly corrupt judges. Running prisons is big business, and the way to expand that business is to recruit more customers, just like any other business. Of course, the non violent ones are the most profitable, so, let's promote laws that ensure that as many people as possible are locked up for as long as possible for non violent crimes. When someone advocates letting non violent criminals out, call them a leftist, a liberal, and soft on crime. The public eats up such accusations.

Making drug addiction a criminal act, rather than a medical problem, is one way to recruit more prisoners.

I really don't think that the prison industry cares whether their customers are black or not, it's just that it is easier to exploit crack addicts and inner city youth than it is to exploit coke heads in the corporate boardroom. They don't have a lot of money to fight the system, after all, and so make better targets.

I could be wrong, of course, but I really don't think racism is the reason why we have so many people behind bars. My humble opinion is that the color that really counts is green.

Why TM, it's almost as though you don't think pieces of human excrement like Cheyney shouldn't be making money putting people in for prifit prisons so they can enslaved to work for 30 cents an hour working for private corporations.

What are you some kind of freedom-loving commie or something?

If governments aren't allowed to put millions of American in prisons to exploit them as prisoners there might not be enough prisons for all of us eventually.

Private citizens are putting people in jail now? WTF??? This should be it's own thread! Do you have an article for that? I'd like to find out more about this. :eusa_whistle:

I don't feel strongly either way about whether or not jails should be public or private. Whatever works. If it increases corruption, then make them all gov. run. Doesn't matter to me. As far as having enough of them, tax me more, I'll pay for that.

Having said that, I strongly feel that changes brought on by "Truth in sentencing" laws and laws like Project Exile have made us safer for the right reasons. They do put people in jail for longer and increase jail populations, but for the right reasons.

It seems the argument should be against privatizing judges not the prisons. But whatever, it's not privatization that causes things like this to happen, it's corruption and greed and the public sector is hardly immune to that either.

I would like to further discuss the points Killuminati raised, but I'm not sure the conversation can stay rational. Is anyone up for another thread where we talk about it and play nice?

Who was bribing the judges ?

It was the people who own the prisons and profit from the government by increasing the number of prisoners.

No profit no bribes.

why do you refuse to make sense?

It was the people who own the prisons and profit from the government by increasing the number of prisoners.

No profit no bribes.

Who cooked up the scheme? The jail or the judge? As I said before, I don't think it was clear in the article. We already know your bias, but what are the facts?

This is nothing new, jail is big business. There are 2 million people locked up in america 85% of them black. We are in need of a 2nd look at the law books, and the judges, I think white judges hate black people, and that's why they become judges, so they can sentence blacks to 100 years.

I think white judges get tired of seeing blacks brought before them ten at a time. I'm sure there are issues and that some blacks get the short end of the stick. However, black crime is out of control and it can really only be changed from within the black community as most of the crime is black on black crime.

I'm not saying that there is not truth to what you say, but when you look at the overall numbers, you should be able to understand that the bigger problem is the fact that so many blacks get in trouble in the first place.

No profit no bribes.

Who cooked up the scheme? The jail or the judge? As I said before, I don't think it was clear in the article. We already know your bias, but what are the facts?

Are you really so insane as to think the judges are more culpable than the Corps who bribed them?

Over the past 15 years on a national level crime has dropped, but the prison population has still been raising, HELLO!!!!

That's because we lock people up for minor drug offenses instead of using that money for drug education and treatment where it would be more helpful. And then, when we put them in prison for their drug convictions, they continue to get the drugs while they're in prison, and so the cycle continues.

3 strike laws are a joke.

People always think its just for violent criminals.

No profit no bribes.

Does it really matter who initiated the arrangement? Both sides partook as a way to personally profit at the expense of the taxpayers. Anyone associated with the prison that was part of this should be headed to jail without the "get out free" card.

Generally speaking, I tend to agree. There are many who end up with life sentences because two of their convictions were for possession. On the other hand, there are some where two strikes should be the limit, point being this is something we should take a second look at.

The crimes should all have a component of violence to be included in the three strikes.

This is nothing new, jail is big business. There are 2 million people locked up in america 85% of them black. We are in need of a 2nd look at the law books, and the judges, I think white judges hate black people, and that's why they become judges, so they can sentence blacks to 100 years.

I think white judges get tired of seeing blacks brought before them ten at a time. I'm sure there are issues and that some blacks get the short end of the stick. However, black crime is out of control and it can really only be changed from within the black community as most of the crime is black on black crime.

I'm not saying that there is not truth to what you say, but when you look at the overall numbers, you should be able to understand that the bigger problem is the fact that so many blacks get in trouble in the first place.

I can only speak on what I know, and I know more whites get in trouble than blacks. Their are more whites on probation than blacks, why you ask. For the same crimes whites get a slap on the wrist, while minorities get hit with the book. There are some minorities that get off easy, or just with a warning. There are more actual killers walking the streets than there are in jail, so don't tell me I don't understand the bigger problem. What the story reported is nothing new, and if its going on with juveniles, imagine what kind of back doors deals are cut for inmates to be sentenced long prison terms in piniforms, and penitentiaries, for non-violent crimes. There are more drug addicts in jail than anything else, next to that is drug dealers. For the most part the junkie isn't messing with anybody he's trying to get high, while the drug deal is trying to make some money. Prison, and drugs have become a huge part of our economy I understand that. Billion(s) dollar black mark on drugs in america, billion(s) dollar market for private prisons, locking up people that aren't a menace to society, for profit is wrong.

Drug addiction is a medical condition and should be treated as such.

Filling our prisons with them is a huge waste of human life and tax dollars.

Generally speaking, I tend to agree. There are many who end up with life sentences because two of their convictions were for possession. On the other hand, there are some where two strikes should be the limit, point being this is something we should take a second look at.

I'm not generally in favor of three strikes. I like Project Exile. I like truth in sentencing. I understand the various arguments about 3 strikes. But, I might actually agree with TM that it should have a violence component. Either that or definitely exclude drug possession.

No profit no bribes.

Are you really so insane as to think the judges are more culpable than the Corps who bribed them?

Are you really crazy? Got meds?

If a judge goes to the corporation and says, "I got this idea. I'll get you set up as the jail for youth offenders here and make sure you have a steady stream of visitors, all you have to do is give $5,000 per head."

Who is more culpable? Not that it really matters, it's a conspiracy anyway you look at it. One is as guilty as the next. But, the person that is expected to act most ethically, is the judge. He took an oath, the corp didn't.

Last edited:
City police sued over strip search -- baltimoresun.com

heres an example of police targeting unfairly black people

See, this is what happens when people blindly post stuff they find on the Internet. This is from Baltimore. For those that don't know Baltimore, this is a solid Democrat run city. The last Republican they found in Baltimore is still hanging from a pole right by Camden Yard as a warning to any other Republicans who might want to live there.

Now, if you read the article, you find that this racist targeting of Black people was done by one Officer Shakil Moss. Officer Moss is also the officer that performed the public cavity search of the victim.

If Shakil is a white guy or anything other than black, I'll go to Baltimore and eat 6 orders of scrapple. So, your argument is that in a Democrat run city, the racist police team led by a black guy attacked and brutalized a black guy. Hmmmm.....let me think about that one.

That's almost as good as global warming will cause me to freeze to death.

still i bet blacks on average end up stricter sentences than whites, for the same crime.

Forum List

Back