Sending a package

lilcountriegal

Oct 24, 2003
Pennsylvania
First I want to say everyone should at least consider putting something together to send over to our guys serving overseas. I'm sure they would love to receive something (even anonymously) showing our support for them (especially during the holidays being away from their family)

I think today was the deadline for the packages to make it over there before Christmas. I didnt get a package out in time, but I'm still going to put one together and ship it on over.... better late than never I guess.

My question: does anyone know where to get an address to mail a package to an unknown recipient? I'm not really particular what branch or gender of who gets my package, I just cant figure out how to ship it over there so they can give it to someone who needs some of the 'good stuff' from home. I did a quick search and couldnt find anything... I thought maybe someone who was previously in the service would have something handy.

lil - I belong to Hugs to Kuwait - I think they have addresse's on there, not sure, but you can ask some of the soldier's wifes there.

Try the USO, there are various methods there. You are now limited to what you can send for security reasons.

From their page, link below:

"With hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops deployed around the world, actively engaged in Operation Iraqi Freedom and the fight against terrorism, the USO is offering a way to send a reminder to the troops that they are appreciated and have not been forgotten.

Due to heightened security, individuals can no longer send letters and packages marked for delivery to 'Any Service Member'. Endorsed by the Department of Defense, the USO program "Operation USO Care Package", provides individuals with a way to touch the lives of our deployed troops around the world.

The USO is sending care packages that include requested items such as pre-paid worldwide phone cards, sunscreen, travel size toiletries, and messages from Americans who want to thank them for their service. As days turn into weeks and weeks into months, reminders from home are welcomed by the troops.

Corporations may donate items to go into the care packages, many of which may be branded with your corporate logo. These items must be sent in bulk from the manufacturer. Please call (703) 696-0994 for advance coordination of deliveries.

If you are interested in sponsoring a care package and including your personal message please click 'donate now' and select your preferred method of donation. If your company is interested in doing a corporate program, please contact us at [email protected], or call (571) 261-1465, and we will let you know of the different ways corporations may rally around our troops. "

http://www.usocares.org/

Just a quick "thanks". I was stumped on where to go.

Janeen: I applied to Hugs to Kuwait. I guess they have to review the application you submit before becomming a member... I'll just wait and see, I guess.

Jim: Thanks for the link. I think thats a very impersonal way to send a package, but I completely understand that, with everything going on, that should be the only method to get a package over there (for safety reasons). I'm a 'hands on' kinda person and would have loved to go shopping and pick stuff up and send it, but since that's not an option, I clicked that link and donated the $25 for one care package.

Thanks again for the links.

Any other ones ya got, feel free to link them...

Originally posted by lilcountriegal
Just a quick "thanks". I was stumped on where to go.

Janeen: I applied to Hugs to Kuwait. I guess they have to review the application you submit before becomming a member... I'll just wait and see, I guess.

Jim: Thanks for the link. I think thats a very impersonal way to send a package, but I completely understand that, with everything going on, that should be the only method to get a package over there (for safety reasons). I'm a 'hands on' kinda person and would have loved to go shopping and pick stuff up and send it, but since that's not an option, I clicked that link and donated the $25 for one care package.

Thanks again for the links.

Any other ones ya got, feel free to link them...
I got my company to sponsor some too. If you like hands on, you should call any nearby military establishments. They usually will let you volunteer to decorate schools for the military kids or help the "wives" with some of their projects. I'm not sexist, I think they have "husband" groups too. It's usually better to call and ask them for the base civilian volunteer coordinator or pastor (in the military, they are all denominations not just Christian) and start from there.

Yes, Jim is right. I was in my local post office the other day and a women had a large package she wanted to send over there. They told her sending packages was discouraged by the government, she said "hell with that" and sent it anyway. Good for her!

Forum List

Back