Senators turn back ID requirement for immigrant healthcare

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Senate Finance Committee Democrats rejected a proposed a requirement that immigrants prove their identity with photo identification when signing up for federal healthcare programs.

Finance Committee ranking member Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) said that current law and the healthcare bill under consideration are too lax and leave the door open to illegal immigrants defrauding the government using false or stolen identities to obtain benefits.

Grassley's amendment was beaten back 10-13 on a party-line vote.

The bill, authored by committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.), would require applicants to verify their names, places of birth and Social Security numbers. Under current law, legal immigrants have to wait five years after obtaining citizenship or legal residency before they may sign up for Medicaid. That waiting period would not apply to receiving tax credits or purchasing insurance through the exchange created by the legislation, however.

Senators turn back ID requirement for immigrant healthcare - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Yes we know. You Lie!

Obama isn't telling a lie when he says that no illegal alien will receive health care benefits from the health care reform measures. The reason this isn't a lie is because he is going to legalize all the illegal aliens.

Obama isn't telling a lie when he says that no illegal alien will receive health care benefits from the health care reform measures. The reason this isn't a lie is because he is going to legalize all the illegal aliens.

That's going to upset millions and millions and millions and millions of voters! Another catastrophic waterloo. Ask John effen McCain! :lol:

How is allowing people to purchasing something with their own money giving them healthcare as Wilson claimed? We also don't ban the purchase of fruit by illegal immigrants. That doesn't mean we're giving limes to Luis.

How is allowing people to purchasing something with their own money giving them healthcare as Wilson claimed? We also don't ban the purchase of fruit by illegal immigrants. That doesn't mean we're giving limes to Luis.

you can save your breath. No one is buying you BS.

How is allowing them to break the law OK? It isn't for you or myself, and yet, it is for the illegals? There is something more to it, and no one wants to address the issue.
This isn't a democrat or republican thing, this it a political thing.

How is it we would allow someone who is openly breaking the law, and therefore a criminal for being in this country illegally, the ability to purchase anything? It seems to me that whoever knowlingly sells an illegal alien, a criminal, anything should be charged with encouraging criminal behavior.

How is allowing them to break the law OK? It isn't for you or myself, and yet, it is for the illegals? There is something more to it, and no one wants to address the issue.

The violation of the law comes from being in the country illegally. Addressing that is a separate argument from allowing people to purchase health care coverage.

Allowing illegals to purchase HC could be the answer for Canada's HC system. I've always said that Canada's system, combined with a private option for those that want, and can afford it, could be a very successful system with the proper oversight. How you go about instituting that, I don't have a clue, but I do converse with a number of Canucks and most feel some private options would greatly improve the wait times currently experienced.

So those along the border, (most of Canada's population), just have to use some BS address and purchase that private option that's missing from their system.
Will there be anything to prevent this? Or does it need preventing?

If they are here illegally then 'their own money' is obtained illegally. They are thieves and should all be tossed, period.

If they are here illegally then 'their own money' is obtained illegally. They are thieves and should all be tossed, period.

of course it is. and democrats want us to allow lawbreakers to reap the benefit of our hard labor. let them show up in the ER ask for identiy and if they are illegals treat them and deport them. it's just that simple

The violation of the law comes from being in the country illegally. Addressing that is a separate argument from allowing people to purchase health care coverage.

Polk, That is a big fail on your assumption.

Hey ...I'm with you on this one

If one freaking illegal immigrant can possibly obtain health insurance we need to stop the whole plan. Better that 40 million Americans don't receive healthcare than have one illegal get it

of course it is. and democrats want us to allow lawbreakers to reap the benefit of our hard labor. let them show up in the ER ask for identiy and if they are illegals treat them and deport them. it's just that simple

That is an excellent idea!

Senate Finance Committee Democrats rejected a proposed a requirement that immigrants prove their identity with photo identification when signing up for federal healthcare programs.

Finance Committee ranking member Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) said that current law and the healthcare bill under consideration are too lax and leave the door open to illegal immigrants defrauding the government using false or stolen identities to obtain benefits.

The bill, authored by committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.), would require applicants to verify their names, places of birth and Social Security numbers. Under current law, legal immigrants have to wait five years after obtaining citizenship or legal residency before they may sign up for Medicaid. That waiting period would not apply to receiving tax credits or purchasing insurance through the exchange created by the legislation, however.

Senators turn back ID requirement for immigrant healthcare - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Yes we know. You Lie!

Yeah, illow, you do lie. Here is the proper explanation for what happened when Grasshead tried to expand the requirements for proof, from willow's source.

willow is trying to pretend there are no stringent requirements in the Dem package. That is a falsehood. Let's move on.

If one freaking illegal immigrant can possibly obtain health insurance we need to stop the whole plan. Better that 40 million Americans don't receive healthcare than have one illegal get it

Rightwinger........it isn't 1 illegal, it would be between 10-15 million, get real OK? Yeah, I get how your mind works RW, and it really needs help with reality.

Rightwinger........it isn't 1 illegal, it would be between 10-15 million, get real OK? Yeah, I get how your mind works RW, and it really needs help with reality.

The plan forbids illegals from getting it. The plan has stringent ID verification. What don't you understand, Meister?

The plan forbids illegals from getting it. The plan has stringent ID verification. What don't you understand, Meister?

The bill is in concept right now...not written. I don't have that much faith in our government to get it right, Jake. Now...what don't you understand?

Are you really writing that you distrust the government? I think you are sophomoric on that issue.

I distrust willow to factually report what happens in the committee. She put her silly beliefs above the truthful statement about what is happening.

Forum List

Back