Senators call for end to anonymous, prepaid cell phones

I'm truly surprised to see Avg Joe using the if you're not doing anything wrong, why do you care about government intrusion on your privacy argument.

If you're not up to no good, why would you care if they recorded all your phone calls and had a camera mounted on your living room wall. :rolleyes:

I never said I wasn't up to some no good, at least legally speaking. That, of course, doesn't speak to my morals, it speaks of a few stupid rules that I, as well as a significant percentage of my national neighbors, would like to see changed. A few rules... not all.

Recording my calls would be a waste of taxpayer dollars for the sheer boredom of it. A camera in my living room, as boring as THAT would be, is asking way too much.

I still say that registering pre-paid cell phone numbers is not asking too much. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

The only ones I know who have them are the drug dealers,

I'm curious what ideas the privacy folks on both the left and right have for combatting terrorism. Or shall we just accept it as the "price of freedom" Personally I'd rather show my license to anyone who asks than to have my family suffer a fiery death. But I guess that's just us, Joe.

I prefer not to submit to a guaranteed lack of privacy and high probability of being misidentified, my personal information hacked or sold, or otherwise have this information mishandled.

I'm also not a fan of pushing prepaid service providers out of the market with new and unnecessary costs because the big donor contract providers want their slice of the pie.

I'm not going to abandon my principles because I'm living in fear of something that is so unlikely to happen as my family "suffering a fiery death" at the hands of a terrorist.

There is reasonable caution and there is irrational paranoia. There is also the classic shiny object that gets tossed in the air - I'll bet if you look at the sponsors' donor lists you'll see a few names that would explain just who wants this legislation and what its real goal is.

The only ones I know who have them are the drug dealers,

I'm curious what ideas the privacy folks on both the left and right have for combatting terrorism. Or shall we just accept it as the "price of freedom" Personally I'd rather show my license to anyone who asks than to have my family suffer Sa fiery death. But I guess that's just us, Joe.

And you accuse me of hyperbole. :rolleyes:

And how many drug dealers do you know anyway?

The goal is to give one more common sense tool to law enforcement They can't profile; they can't bug mosques and churches, they can't interrogate without an attorney, etc. What else can they do? Honestly?

We are subjected to searches at airports and amusement parks. There are surveillance cameras in dept stores and city streets. Many people are fingerprinted for jobs. We must show I D to write a check or rent a car. They are all invasions of privacy that most Americans accept.. This law is no different. In fact, it prob won't affect 99 percent of us.

The goal is to give one more common sense tool to law enforcement They can't profile; they can't bug mosques and churches, they can't interrogate without an attorney, etc. What else can they do? Honestly?

We are subjected to searches at airports and amusement parks. There are surveillance cameras in dept stores and city streets. Many people are fingerprinted for jobs. We must show I D to write a check or rent a car. They are all invasions of privacy that most Americans accept.. This law is no different. In fact, it prob won't affect 99 percent of us.

Point number 1 on the list of reasons why this is a REASONABLE rule, and not too much to ask of ourselves.

Uh-huh. Never mind the fact that many of the things on your list are, again, business practice for their own financial security and/or convenience and not law. We all know for a fact Congress never waves the flag with one hand while passing a payoff to big corporate donors with the other. :rolleyes:

I'm truly surprised to see Avg Joe using the if you're not doing anything wrong, why do you care about government intrusion on your privacy argument.

If you're not up to no good, why would you care if they recorded all your phone calls and had a camera mounted on your living room wall. :rolleyes:

I never said I wasn't up to some no good, at least legally speaking. That, of course, doesn't speak to my morals, it speaks of a few stupid rules that I, as well as a significant percentage of my national neighbors, would like to see changed. A few rules... not all.

Recording my calls would be a waste of taxpayer dollars for the sheer boredom of it. A camera in my living room, as boring as THAT would be, is asking way too much.

I still say that registering pre-paid cell phone numbers is not asking too much. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

I guess we simply have a different litmus test when it comes to yet further restrictions on individual liberty and privacy. You ask "is it too much to ask?," (many many times now), and you even present a somewhat reasonable case that it isn't. But honestly, I don't care about that. I ask "is it necessary?"

Convince me that this is necessary and you'll have a convert.

Would a bomb being detonated with one of these untraceable devices be a necessary reason? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

We've been lucky. I fear our luck may be running out.

Remember 9/11.

Would a bomb being detonated with one of these untraceable devices be a necessary reason? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Remember 9/11.

I know, I know. It's painfully obvious just how much you fear. That doesn't make it rational.

Remember 9/11.

When you can't hold your own in an argument, wave the bloody shirt of 9/11 and use the memory of the victims for your political agenda. On Memorial Day weekend no less. Nice.

I guess we simply have a different litmus test when it comes to yet further restrictions on individual liberty and privacy. You ask "is it too much to ask?," (many many times now), and you even present a somewhat reasonable case that it isn't. But honestly, I don't care about that. I ask "is it necessary?"

Convince me that this is necessary and you'll have a convert.

Have we learned nothing from CSI & Criminal Minds?

I believe it to be a move that would be worth the price. I believe MOST Americans agree with me. If I'm wrong, it doesn't mean enough to me to start killing anyone to prove my point. Fortunately, not much does any more.

Still friends?

Fortunately most people agree to reasonable methods for fighting terrorism. I do not wave a "bloody flag" goldcatt. My family lost a lot of people they loved that day. Shame on you.

Fortunately most people agree to reasonable methods for fighting terrorism. I do not wave a "bloody flag" goldcatt. My family lost a lot of people they loved that day. Shame on you.

I lost two that day myself, one of them VERY near and dear. I don't need a lecture on "shame" from you of all people, thank you very much.

Now do you have anything of value to say about the actual topic other than "Be afraid!!", "Be ashamed!!" and "9/11!! 9/11!!"?

I'm waiting for the Lefties who were hyperventilating about the Patriot Act to show some outrage here.

Wrong is wrong, partisan hack.

Besides, this is a fuckup by members of both parties:

Senators Charles Schumer (D-NY) and John Cornyn (R-TX) joined forces and announced a new bill that would require an ID at the point of sale. Phone companies would need to keep this information on file in order to help police thwart "terrorists, drug lords and gang members," along with the occasional hedge fund manager

That's only because both parties are corrupt and are no longer working for the American people.

Seems to me your family isn't the ONLY family to suffer loss that day. So don't think you have a lock on the resulting grief, or that only YOUR family can decide what measures are appropriate to prevent another 9/11.

There are a LOT of other folks in the same shoes as your family.

SHAME ON YOU for denying their pain and suffering.

I'm waiting for the Lefties who were hyperventilating about the Patriot Act to show some outrage here.

Senators Charles Schumer (D-NY) and John Cornyn (R-TX) joined forces and announced a new bill that would require an ID at the point of sale. Phone companies would need to keep this information on file in order to help police thwart "terrorists, drug lords and gang members," along with the occasional hedge fund manager

That's only because both parties are corrupt and are no longer working for the American people.

Yep. BOTH parties are corrupt. MOST politicians are on the take and in it FOR THEMSELVES.

They line their pockets with our tax dollars and create oppressive laws at our expense, all the while EXEMPTING THEMSELVES from the weight of the laws they create (health care, anyone???)

Kick all their sorry asses to the curb. The American government and polical system is broken beyond belief! It's time for new blood and its time for people who KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING to get in there and fix things.

We don't have time to waste on rank amateurs like Barry Soetoro.....he's destroying this country, along with all the other idgits in Congress.

Exactly. Hence my point about checking out the donor list for these two. Prepaid cell service is a billion dollar plus business, and using this kind of smokescreen to burden prepaid providers with new costs and red tape seems to create a competitive advantage for the giants like Verizon, etc. Food for thought.

Exactly. Hence my point about checking out the donor list for these two. Prepaid cell service is a billion dollar plus business, and using this kind of smokescreen to burden prepaid providers with new costs and red tape seems to create a competitive advantage for the giants like Verizon, etc. Food for thought.

I don't really buy that the added cost would be so burdensome to cell phone companies having to add one more bit of info to their already existing data bases.

Seems to me your family isn't the ONLY family to suffer loss that day. So don't think you have a lock on the resulting grief, or that only YOUR family can decide what measures are appropriate to prevent another 9/11.

There are a LOT of other folks in the same shoes as your family.

SHAME ON YOU for denying their pain and suffering.

Where the hell did that comment from? I deny no one "pain and suffering", and this is not MY idea, for crying out loud. I just believe it is reasonable. Manifold has accused me of being fearful. That is true. I do not want my family OR ANY OTHER, to have to experience another 9/11. I asked if anyone had other ideas for preventing another attack, and all I've seen on this thread is "that's the price of freedom".

Goldcatt believes this may be too expensive. That's a legitimate argument. You on the other hand jump onto this thread to attack. Shame on you jenyeliza. Hopefully you don't speak for the victims either.

Forum List

Back