Senators: Ban smokeless tobacco use in MLB

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
First Read - Senators: Ban smokeless tobacco use in MLB
From NBC's Ken Strickland

Two Democratic senators are asking baseball commissioner Bud Selig to ban all tobacco use in the sport, specifically citing smokeless products.

Sens. Dick Durbin of Illinois and Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey are suggesting that Selig push for a ban as part of the negotiations in the players' collective bargaining agreement later this year.

Dear Dick and Frank,

Fuck you, you arrogant, self righteous assholes.

Please leave the raising of our kids to us, the actual parents, and get back to fixing the economy and working on getting people jobs.

Sincerly,

Two, don't make me shove my Thumbs up your ass

Last edited:
Screw em! I chewed for 20 years and have been quit 5.5 years now. I don't ever want to do it again by personal choice. I'm a libertarian. If people want to chew, it's their own damned business. If the MLB wants to ban it, fine. I'd wear a tshirt and shorts to work if my employer would let me, but he won't. The government needs to tend to their business and their business isn't telling people or businesses how to live healthy lives.

Last edited:
Screw em! I chewed for 20 years and have been quit 5.5 years now. I don't ever want to do it again by personal choice. I'm a libertarian. If people want to chew, it's their own damned business. If the MLB wants to ban it, fine. I'd wear a tshirt and shorts to work if my employer would let me, but he won't. The government needs to tend to their business and their business isn't telling people of businesses how to live healthy lives.

Same here, dipped copenhagen for twenty years and decided to just quit last year. I fully agree, if people want to chew, dip, it's their own damned business. It doesn't bother me at all.

Screw em! I chewed for 20 years and have been quit 5.5 years now. I don't ever want to do it again by personal choice. I'm a libertarian. If people want to chew, it's their own damned business. If the MLB wants to ban it, fine. I'd wear a tshirt and shorts to work if my employer would let me, but he won't. The government needs to tend to their business and their business isn't telling people of businesses how to live healthy lives.

Same here, dipped copenhagen for twenty years and decided to just quit last year. I fully agree, if people want to chew, dip, it's their own damned business. It doesn't bother me at all.

It's ironic.

The people that support the dems want to make dope legal. While at the same time they want to stop people from doing something legal.

That, as my Dad would say, is; Nucking Futs!

This actually kind of pisses me off. :lol:

Let Selig et al decide if it should be banned from the sport. Of course, they can always keep chewing bubblegum and spitting sunflower seeds... I mean, "bubblegum" and "sunflower seeds".

I dun mind that someone asked Seigel to ban chewing tobacco -- I mind that two US Senators asked. I'd like the Cleveland Indians to change their name to a less racially insulting one.

If I get elected POTUS, should I lean on them? Or should this be decided by the public's response to the team a la capitalism?

Dun these two senators have any work of their own to do?

I dun mind that someone asked Seigel to ban chewing tobacco -- I mind that two US Senators asked. I'd like the Cleveland Indians to change their name to a less racially insulting one.

If I get elected POTUS, should I lean on them? Or should this be decided by the public's response to the team a la capitalism?

Dun these two senators have any work of their own to do?

Cleveland Indians is racially insulting?

I mean seriously, do you really think Raj in Bangalore is getting pissed off over this?

Good grief.

"Major League Baseball banned tobacco use in its minor leagues in 1993, but still allows it in the big leagues."

Personally I think that is a hypocritcial of Bud.

However I'd like the lawmakers to stict to what they were elected, not butting into the affairs of private businesses policies. For that I hope Bud says piss off......

From the article.

Referencing a National Youth Risk Behavior Survey, the senators say the use of smokeless tobacco products has increased 36% among high school boys since 2003, raising its use among all boys to 15%.

That's interesting. But how much of it is tied to MLB--is chewing more visible in MLB today than it was back then? Because I'd figure it would be just the opposite. I know for my local broadcasts, production usually cuts away if a player looks like they're chewing on something in the dugout and there isn't a bag of sunflower seeds in their hands.

It makes me wonder how much other factors may come into play, like the social and legal vilification of cigarettes may make chewing a more subtle option. Something to think about anyways.

And why isn't the NHL getting nagged on for promoting fighting? Or the NFL for letting players with dubious criminal records continue to play?

I hate baseball. I find it dull, boring, yawn-invoking. Did I say dull? Yes I've been to a real game. It was boring.

I hate chewing tobacco. It's vile, it's disgusting, they spit, THEY SPIT!, it's nothing short of utter grossness, imo.

As someone who never even watches baseball I would love it if they did away with chewing tobacco so that on the rare occasion I inadvertently catch a glimpse of a baseball game I won't be subject to seeing brown colored wads of slime being hacked out of some ballplayers puss.

Can someone tell me what business is it of these two senators, or anyone in congress, to tell MLB how to run things? Anyone?

If MLB wants to ban it, peachy. Uncle needs to butt the fuck outta . . . . most everything. :mad:

Who the heck do they think they are? Don't get me wrong, Id love to see everyone overcome substance addictions and use. But people have a right to make up their own minds and Congress doesn't have any authority to say otherwise.

Forum List

Back