Senator Webb Will Not Seek Reelection

The linked interview is pretty interesting.

RealClearPolitics - Jim Webb: Why Reagan Dems Still Matter

I've got this hypothesis that usually the best politicians are the ones who don't want to make a career of it; they serve their full term and then voluntarily move on.
sounds to me like he is tired of fighting the dem leadership to get things working

this is kinda sad as he was one of the more moderate dems

Yes, moderate and well respected on both sides of the aisle and in the military community.

He's one helluva model American.
the sad part about it that the reasonable ones do this, they cant stand the crap that goes on inside the beltway
and the bad ones stay forever

i keep hoping JC Watts would run for the Senate from OK
but i doubt he ever will, he had his fill of the crap too

sounds to me like he is tired of fighting the dem leadership to get things working

this is kinda sad as he was one of the more moderate dems

Yes, moderate and well respected on both sides of the aisle and in the military community.

He's one helluva model American.
the sad part about it that the reasonable ones do this, they cant stand the crap that goes on inside the beltway
and the bad ones stay forever

i keep hoping JC Watts would run for the Senate from OK
but i doubt he ever will, he had his fill of the crap too

I agree ... but it is a bit comforting to know that there are people in politics who are still interested in keeping their soul. It would be great if Senators like Webb became the norm in Washington and the dirtbags became the ones leaving because they can't stand everyone else's integrity and honesty.

I thought Webb was in his second term - but it doesn't matter. When I lived in VA and he was my Senator I thought he was a rude and arrogant SOB.

Rats tend to abandon sinking ships....

Graduate Naval Academy
OCS Quantico
Nam vet highly decorated.
Silver Star, 2 Bronze Stars TWO PURPLE HEARTS.
Think about it and try again.

Would you consider this guy a hero as well:

Graduate Naval Academy
Silver Star
Bronze Star
Distinguished Flying Cross
Legion of Merit
13 other Naval Decorations

Think about it......

That's John McCain.

And he is hammered on constantly. Doggedly. Incessantly. Not for his service, but for his political career.

I think its possible to separate someone's service in the military from their service in politics. Does being successful and respected in a previous career automatically equate to success and respect in a new one?

I respect the service of ALL who have served, I am sincerely appreciative of their sacrifices on my behalf. But that doesn't give them a pass on what they do after their service.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that the best politicians are most often not "career politicians," and I think Webb is a smart guy and is probably stepping aside for all the right reasons.

He is known for being straight forward and some say rude. He gets things done and would make a great president. I don't think he would run against an incumbent democrat but wouldn't that be a treat to watch? He is the only dem I would vote for plus he carries a pistol.

Rats tend to abandon sinking ships....

Graduate Naval Academy
OCS Quantico

Graduate Naval Academy
Silver Star
Bronze Star
Legion of Merit

Think about it......

That's John McCain.

And he is hammered on constantly. Doggedly. Incessantly. Not for his service, but for his political career.

I think its possible to separate someone's service in the military from their service in politics. Does being successful and respected in a previous career automatically equate to success and respect in a new one?

I respect the service of ALL who have served, I am sincerely appreciative of their sacrifices on my behalf. But that doesn't give them a pass on what they do after their service.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that the best politicians are most often not "career politicians," and I think Webb is a smart guy and is probably stepping aside for all the right reasons.

McCain gets hammered because sold out.

Double standard.

His military record is not affected by anything he did after his service ended.

Which is exactly my point. The service records stand on their own, aside from anything else. And everything else stands on its own as well, aside from the military service.

Double standard.

Which is exactly my point. The service records stand on their own, aside from anything else. And everything else stands on its own as well, aside from the military service.

Double standard?

What does my post have to do with McCain's military service?

Double standard.

Double standard?

Are you following the thread?

Its acceptable to bash McCain (a military hero) for political positions he took AFTER his military career, but not Webb (a military hero)?

Double standard. Pretty clearly, actually.

And thank you for hitting it out of the park for me :)

Double standard.

Double standard?

Its acceptable to bash McCain (a military hero) for political positions he took AFTER his military career, but not Webb (a military hero)?

Yes, I am following the thread.

What political positions is Webb being criticized for in this thread?

Double standard?

You're following the thread, but you don't know what its about?

hint: look for the first occurrence of word "rat" and then the subsequent posts.

hint: look for the first occurrence of word "rat" and then the subsequent posts.

Yeah, I caught that ...

It was knee jerk post from an ignorant political hack and not a criticism of Webb's positions. So anytime you want to point out the positions of Webb's being attacked I'm all eyes.

Last edited:
Graduate Naval Academy
OCS Quantico

Graduate Naval Academy
Silver Star
Bronze Star
Legion of Merit

Think about it......

That's John McCain.

You don't get to play by one set of rules for the Dems, and another for the GOP. If calling out a war hero is unacceptable, it is unacceptable.

During the campaign, many on the left mocked McCain because he can't use new technology.... the fact that his hands were damaged because of his treatment while held as a Prisoner of War was immaterial.

Surely, you're smart enough to see the double standard you trying to use here, Art.

For the record, deciding not to run again is not quitting. Webb is, therefore, not a quitter. However, the phrase 'rats deserting a sinking ship' is appropriate and does not refer to Webb as a rat. It is an analogy.... it means that people run from a failing cause. That's appropriate.

Yeah, I caught that ...

It was knee jerk post from an ignorant political hack and not a criticism of Webb's positions. So anytime you want to point out the positions of Webb's being attacked I'm all eyes.

"I'm quitting" is a political position, in Webb's case.

That is confirmed by his own statements, and he makes no attempt to hide that fact. It is obviously a decision he arrived at after much thought and deliberation, and his motivations are all political (at least as stated by him).

Ironically (and I'm sure you've missed this as you were "following the thread"), I support Webb, and believe he made his decision for all the right reasons.

My introduction of McCain's service was to point out the partisan bias of many who hypocritically pounce on anything conservative, then defend anything progressive with a double standard of application.

That's when you showed up.

Thanks again :)

Graduate Naval Academy
Silver Star
Bronze Star
Legion of Merit

Think about it......

That's John McCain.

You don't get to play by one set of rules for the Dems, and another for the GOP. If calling out a war hero is unacceptable, it is unacceptable.

During the campaign, many on the left mocked McCain because he can't use new technology.... the fact that his hands were damaged because of his treatment while held as a Prisoner of War was immaterial.

Surely, you're smart enough to see the double standard you trying to use here, Art.

Glad to hear it because I'm not. You two are obviously arguing with the wrong person here.

It's one thing to "call out" someone legitimately and another to make a silly hack post like the House did.

Yeah, I caught that ...

"I'm quitting" is a political position, in Webb's case.

That is confirmed by his own statements, and he makes no attempt to hide that fact. It is obviously a decision he arrived at after much thought and deliberation, and his motivations are all political (at least as stated by him).

Ironically (and I'm sure you've missed this as you were "following the thread"), I support Webb, and believe he made his decision for all the right reasons.

My introduction of McCain's service was to point out the partisan bias of many who hypocritically pounce on anything conservative, then defend anything progressive with a double standard of application.

That's when you showed up.

Thanks again :)

I was already in this thread before you injected McCain's service.

Webb isn't "quitting" unless you want to posit that the seat is rightfully his next term.

Glad to hear it because I'm not. You two are obviously arguing with the wrong person here.

It's one thing to "call out" someone legitimately and another to make a silly hack post like the House did.

House didn't make a 'silly hack post', he made a comment about rats deserting a sinking ship. That seems a legitimate analogy to me. It's not a personal attack on Webb, it's an opinion.

And, if it's offensive to attack someone who is a war hero, then it is always offensive. But, it can't be offensive now when it was not offensive when McCain was attacked by left wing media about injuries sustained while fighting for this country. I disagree with McCain politically a lot.... But... that man paid a high price for serving this country and has earned the respect and gratitude of the nation. It is only because of his political views that many on the left do not give him the respect he deserves.

House didn't make a 'silly hack post', he made a comment about rats deserting a sinking ship. That seems a legitimate analogy to me. It's not a personal attack on Webb, it's an opinion.

And, if it's offensive to attack someone who is a war hero, then it is always offensive. But, it can't be offensive now when it was not offensive when McCain was attacked by left wing media about injuries sustained while fighting for this country. I disagree with McCain politically a lot.... But... that man paid a high price for serving this country and has earned the respect and gratitude of the nation. It is only because of his political views that many on the left do not give him the respect he deserves.

I never said that Webb couldn't be attacked because he is a war hero. Like I said you are arguing with the wrong poster.

And you thinking House's post is at all legit puts us at an impasse. Sorry but I reject that notion.

Forum List

Back