Senator Webb Will Not Seek Reelection

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Virginia Senator Jim Webb plans to announce today that he won't seek reelection, a senior Senate source said.

Webb appeared likely to face a rematch with former Senator George Allen, whom he beat in a bruising 2006 contest. He had expressed ambivalence about the prospect of another run, and has said he never planned a life in politics.

Politico

Whoa, this is a game changer. This presents a prime opportunity for the GOP to pick up another seat in the Senate. While it looked like in 2008 Virginia was turning blue, it swung wildly back to the GOP last year.

Yep.

I heard that on the news this afternoon.

Webb only served one term. I guess the having wasn't nearly as great as the wanting.

As you say. An opportunity for the GOP in 2012.

Rats tend to abandon sinking ships....

Graduate Naval Academy
OCS Quantico
Nam vet highly decorated.
Silver Star, 2 Bronze Stars TWO PURPLE HEARTS.
Think about it and try again.

How does any of that have anything to do with what I said?

Swing and a miss...

Try again...

You called him a "rat". I bet that "rat" has done much more for this country than you have, and than you ever will.

Graduate Naval Academy
OCS Quantico
Nam vet highly decorated.
Silver Star, 2 Bronze Stars TWO PURPLE HEARTS.
Think about it and try again.

Swing and a miss...

Try again...

You called him a "rat". I bet that "rat" has done much more for this country than you have, and than you ever will.

It's an expression - rats leaving a sinking ship - look it up fuckstain...

Swing and a miss...

Try again...

Of course it's an expression, but it doesn't mean you didn't call him a rat. But however you want to dodge calling an American hero (whether you agree with his political views or not), a "rat". Way to show a lot of class and respect. :clap2:

The linked interview is pretty interesting.

RealClearPolitics - Jim Webb: Why Reagan Dems Still Matter

"I've been warning them," Webb says, sighing, resting his chin on his hand. "I've been having discussions with our leadership ever since I've been up here. I decided to run as a Democrat because I happen to strongly believe in Jacksonian democracy. There needs to be one party that very clearly represents the interests of working people ... I'm very concerned about the transactional nature of the Democratic Party. Its evolved too strongly into interest groups rather than representing working people, including small business people."
Democrats' suffered historical losses from Congress to the state houses last week. It's an apt moment for Webb to step in. He is an atypical politician. Politics is not his alpha or omega. He's authored more than half a dozen books, succeeded as a screenwriter and won an Emmy for his coverage of the U.S. Marines in Beirut. This success outside politics empowers him to be less political. Yet what suits Webb to criticism is not that. It's the political sociology he embodies.
I've got this hypothesis that usually the best politicians are the ones who don't want to make a career of it; they serve their full term and then voluntarily move on.

Swing and a miss...

Try again...

Talk about "swing and a miss".
Weak expression and even weaker excuse.
Just admit it was a bad post and move on.

Gads.. tough crowd...

Eh.. lets see what he says in a year...

Hey.. maybe he'll go for President...Obama certainly isn't qualified..

Of course it's an expression, but it doesn't mean you didn't call him a rat. But however you want to dodge calling an American hero (whether you agree with his political views or not), a "rat". Way to show a lot of class and respect. :clap2:

It was and remains an expression... Nowhere did I call your Widdle Webbykinz a "rat"...

The fact that you got your panties in a wad about it only amuses me...:lol:

Talk about "swing and a miss".
Weak expression and even weaker excuse.
Just admit it was a bad post and move on.

It was appropriate and relevant...

The fact it bothers you and Jimbo is just icing on the cake...:lol:

"I've been warning them," Webb says, sighing, resting his chin on his hand. "I've been having discussions with our leadership ever since I've been up here. I decided to run as a Democrat because I happen to strongly believe in Jacksonian democracy. There needs to be one party that very clearly represents the interests of working people ... I'm very concerned about the transactional nature of the Democratic Party. Its evolved too strongly into interest groups rather than representing working people, including small business people."
Democrats' suffered historical losses from Congress to the state houses last week. It's an apt moment for Webb to step in. He is an atypical politician. Politics is not his alpha or omega. He's authored more than half a dozen books, succeeded as a screenwriter and won an Emmy for his coverage of the U.S. Marines in Beirut. This success outside politics empowers him to be less political. Yet what suits Webb to criticism is not that. It's the political sociology he embodies.
I've got this hypothesis that usually the best politicians are the ones who don't want to make a career of it; they serve their full term and then voluntarily move on.
sounds to me like he is tired of fighting the dem leadership to get things working

this is kinda sad as he was one of the more moderate dems

sounds to me like he is tired of fighting the dem leadership to get things working

this is kinda sad as he was one of the more moderate dems

Yes, moderate and well respected on both sides of the aisle and in the military community.

He's one helluva model American.

Forum List

Back