Senator Obama's Magical Media Tour

I feel it is inappropriate for any politician to use our military personnel as campaign props, regardless of their party affiliation.

As for other campaign photo ops, while McCain has ran what I believe to be a poorly executed campaign that lacks any demonstration of a mastery of political stagecraft, he has refrained from posting campaign banners at significant religious sites. So in that regard, I can't fault him.

However, if you feel I am being less than even-handed, I would encourage you to swing by my blog and checkout "McCain: Having Failed History He Is Doomed To Repeat It" in the June archives and "Republicans Should Be Careful What They Wish For" in the March archives.

So you agree that the whole Mission Accomplished thing was an offensive misuse of our military and nothing more than propaganda? I think so, too. But it's a fact of life and this is what politicians do.

Campaign banners would be with the permission of the Israeli people. If McCain didn't think of it, I'd say that was a misstep. But it's interesting that you talk about McCain's campaign lacking any mastery of stagecraft. There was a comment made on Scarborough this morning that he needs to elevate his campaign from the congressional to the presidential level.

What I will say is that as of four months ago when I was there, every Israeli I met wanted McCain to be the next president. I don't know how they feel now.

I don't know if you're even handed or not. I only responded to the post I saw. ;)

Thanks re your blog. Might check it out when I have some time.

So you agree that the whole Mission Accomplished thing was an offensive misuse of our military and nothing more than propaganda? I think so, too. But it's a fact of life and this is what politicians do.

Campaign banners would be with the permission of the Israeli people. If McCain didn't think of it, I'd say that was a misstep. But it's interesting that you talk about McCain's campaign lacking any mastery of stagecraft. There was a comment made on Scarborough this morning that he needs to elevate his campaign from the congressional to the presidential level.

What I will say is that as of four months ago when I was there, every Israeli I met wanted McCain to be the next president. I don't know how they feel now.

I don't know if you're even handed or not. I only responded to the post I saw. ;)

While I would agree there was a propaganda element to the President's "Mission Accomplished" speech, I would diverge with you in that it was not a presidential campaign event.

Was there political stagecraft involved in the framing and presentation; most definitely. While I fully appreciate that there is a political element to almost every presidential event, it was not conducted in the course of a presidential campaign and was not a campaign event persay.

Joe's a great guy and very astute student and practitioner of the game. I find myself agreeing with him a great deal, but don't get to catch his show very often. Nice to know we're on the same wave length, though.

While I would agree there was a propaganda element to the President's "Mission Accomplished" speech, I would diverge with you in that it was not a presidential campaign event.

Was there political stagecraft involved in the framing and presentation; most definitely. While I fully appreciate that there is a political element to almost every presidential event, it was not conducted in the course of a presidential campaign and was not a campaign event persay.

Joe's a great guy and very astute student and practitioner of the game. I find myself agreeing with him a great deal, but don't get to catch his show very often. Nice to know we're on the same wave length, though.

I think Joe is great. I don't share his philosophy, but I always find him thoughtful, informed, polite and ready to actually debate issues. I started watching his show after I saw him on Bill Maher. And I figured that any repub who could hold his own in that environment, without spewing talking points, who had his own clear opinions, and could discuss things without resorting to rudeness, deserved my respect.

As for the Mission Accomplished thing... I actually think the president owes a higher level of deference to accuracy about things like that. It still amazes me that he said during that speech that all that was left to do was rebuild.

How appropriate is it to use active duty military personnel in what is still classified as a combat environment as campaign props?

- Why can’t Senator Obama acknowledge the success of the Surge in creating an environment that allows for serious discussion of major troop withdrawals from Iraq?

This is spitting in the faces of our troops' efforts and a blatant disregard for the truth.

Obama places politics before the welfare of the nation. :doubt:

As for the Mission Accomplished thing... I actually think the president owes a higher level of deference to accuracy about things like that. It still amazes me that he said during that speech that all that was left to do was rebuild.
Would have to agree with you on that one. However I would say that the Mission the sign referred to was the mission of that Carrier, and the mission of Destroying the Iraqi Military and unseating the Iraqi Government, which was mostly accomplished at the time.

However that said, Clearly Bush head his head right up his ass about what was left to do, and what it would take to do it.

Would have to agree with you on that one. However I would say that the Mission the sign referred to was the mission of that Carrier, and the mission of Destroying the Iraqi Military and unseating the Iraqi Government, which was mostly accomplished at the time.

However that said, Clearly Bush head his head right up his ass about what was left to do, and what it would take to do it.

You need to listen to the speech that went with the sign. It's meaning is clear. The admin only backtracked on it because at the time 15 service people were dead. Now it's how many thousands?

As for Bush... well, let's say he was being optimistic. I think if he had actually read the state department reports on the subject, he'd have known what would happen if we went to Baghdad.

You need to listen to the speech that went with the sign. It's meaning is clear. The admin only backtracked on it because at the time 15 service people were dead. Now it's how many thousands?

As for Bush... well, let's say he was being optimistic. I think if he had actually read the state department reports on the subject, he'd have known what would happen if we went to Baghdad.

Like I said, Bush had his head right up his ass. I see the war in Iraq as a massive military success followed by a huge error in jedgement, and a nearly failed occupation and rebuilding process.

A little something I wrote on the stagecraft of the two campaigns on June 11th in a piece titled, "The Big "O" Has The Big Mo".

Stagecraft: In politics, perception is reality. To paraphrase Tony Robbins, the goal of political campaigns is to create their own realities. Part of this involves message and image control, but another crucial factor is stagecraft and event management. One need look no further than the candidate rallies on the night of Obama’s historic nomination seizure to see who holds the upper hand in the mastery of stagecraft.

While McCain spoke to a few hundred supporters in a low-ceilinged room in Kenner, Louisiana, Obama played to a standing room only audience of thousands at the very same arena where the Republicans will hold their national convention at the end of summer. Not only did he make history, he made an impression and a statement all in one fell swoop.

Speaking before Obama, McCain’s green stage backdrop has been compared to Fenway Park’s legendary “Big Green Monster”. Staid and uninspired, while it may have been an attempt to subliminally reinforce McCain’s environmentally friendly image, the result conjured up images of Jimmy Carter’s trademark green campaign material.

Am I the only one that keeps hearing the word malaise echoing disconcertingly in the distance?

Note to the McCain staff: Blue is an environmentally representative color, as well. Think sky, water, the ocean. Go back to the deep Navy blue. It resonates and conveys strength and stability. Last time I checked they were two of the pillars propping up your campaign. This is the big show, go with what got you there and quit looking like amateurs fresh out of undergrad.

Meanwhile in St. Paul, Minnesota, Obama conducted yet another rock star rally. Adoring and cheering throngs set a distinct contrast to the candidate’s own sublime emotional state on the historic night. His rallies are energetic and electric; they will keep the troops pumped up and inspired for the arduous campaign yet to come. Clearly his staff understands that a picture tells a thousand words and each rally is a montage of a thousand images.

Having been labeled all style and no substance, the Obama camp has embraced stagecraft with an almost religious-like fervor. They will press their candidate's energy and charm to the forefront. His image and message with be managed with Madison Avenue precision. They will fashion the air of inevitability around him and his candidacy.

Running as the substance candidate, McCain has largely remained unconcerned with issues of style and staging. Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale were serious, substantive candidates that frowned on Ronald Reagan’s Hollywood theatrics and managed milieus. See how well that worked out for them. That's not even mentioning the fact that a certain female Senator from the state of New York tried the substance over style argument in the Democratic primaries and came up agonzingly short.

Another note to the McCain staff: Burn every tie currently in the candidate’s wardrobe and find out where Barack buys his. While I personally prefer Jerry Garcias, John can’t pull those off. Follow Barack’s lead; you can be fashionable without being flashy.

magical_mystery_tour.jpg

BKP:

Very well written. I agree with your assessment of both campaigns, though I disagree that Obama has no substance. I think he's been pretty clear about where he sees policy going. I do agree, though, that his campaign has totally dominated in terms of controlling the visuals and the message.

Did you see Stephen Colbert's show making fun of McCain's green backdrop? He challenged his viewers to put one of McCain's stump speeches in front of whateveer they wanted to do with a green screen to make it more exciting.

The funniest was probably McCain's stump speech mixed with Madonna's Vogue video.

How many freaking times did Bush say "It's going to be a long war and it will not be easy"?
I can count about 30 times. How did you miss it?

Forum List

Back