Senator Obama's Foreign Policy Experience

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Since so much has been made of VP candidate Sarah Palin's foreign policy experience as Governor of Alaska:

I would like to hear about Senator Barack Obama's foreign policy credentials, both before and after he was nominated a presidential candidate.

Since so much has been made of VP candidate Sarah Palin's foreign policy experience as Governor of Alaska:

I would like to hear about Senator Barack Obama's foreign policy credentials, both before and after he was nominated a presidential candidate.

Illinois shares a border with Canada. It would be, like, the first line of defense if Harper reared his head.

Thats enough...right?

Much has been made of Palins foreign policy experience, not so much because its lacking, but more because of the absurd, idiotic, and outlandish comments from her and the McCain camp in their attempts to show that she has experience.

Illinois shares a border with Canada. It would be, like, the first line of defense if Harper reared his head.

Thats enough...right?

Obama wasn't the governor of Illinois.

So Obama's experience is...?

Last edited:
Obama wasn't the governor of Illinois.

So Obama's experience is...?

Oh, your right...he was only in the United States Senate. My bad. I think sometimes they deal with other countries or something, right?

And way to miss my point. Went far over your head.

Obama wasn't the governor of Illinois. So Obama's experience is...?
That's why he got Biden on the ticket. His experience counts for Obama! It just transfers over. How convenient huh? Obama is good on the economy and Biden is good on foreign affairs, or so they say on TV. Biden's been in government for 36 years and Obama for two weeks. That's like, uh, a lot of time! It's like filling a glass. Obama counts for 10 percent and Biden counts for 90 percent. That equals 100 percent! Yay!

But remember, none of John McCain's experience counts for Sarah Palin or vice versa. :mad:

He's on the US Senate Foreign Relations committee, which outside the Secretary of State and the President, is arguably the most important foreign policy job in the nation. He's met world leaders, including Hamid Karzai and Malaki, and he knows or has met all the important people in the foreign policy community through his committee responsibilities.

In short, he has more foreign policy experience coming in, that Reagan, Clinton, or George W. Bush.

And anyone who isn't a two-time Bush voting hyper partisan hack, and saw the debate on friday, could see that obama was as well informed and articulate about world affairs as McCain.

Every poll taken after the debate showed that Obama seemed more presidential than McCain.

Sorry.

He's on the US Senate Foreign Relations committee, which outside the Secretary of State and the President, is arguably the most important foreign policy job in the nation. He's met world leaders, including Hamid Karzai and Malaki, and he knows or has met all the important people in the foreign policy community through his committee responsibilities.

In short, he has more foreign policy experience coming in, that Reagan, Clinton, or George W. Bush.

And anyone who isn't a two-time Bush voting hyper partisan hack, and saw the debate on friday, could see that obama was as well informed and articulate about world affairs as McCain.

Every poll taken after the debate showed that Obama seemed more presidential than McCain.

Sorry.
has he ever actually attended that commitee?

Oh, your right...he was only in the United States Senate. My bad. I think sometimes they deal with other countries or something, right?

So it shouldn't be difficult to cite some examples of Senator Obama's foreign policy experience. But the way I recall it, nearly all the time Obama has been a senator, he has been busy running for President.

I'm going to bed. I'll be interested in seeing what you all come up with

So it shouldn't be difficult to cite some examples of Senator Obama's foreign policy experience. But the way I recall it, nearly all the time Obama has been a senator, he has been busy running for President.

I'm going to bed. I'll be interested in seeing what you all come up with

This is a partial list, which doesn't include all the world leaders he's met with:

Senator Obama traveled in 2005 to the former Soviet Union with Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN) to investigate the dangers posed by unsecured weapons. The two senators introduced legislation that was signed into law in January 2007 to help other nations detect and stop the transfer of weapons of mass destruction. The legislation also established the next generation of cooperative threat reduction efforts to destroy conventional weapons that could fall into the wrong hands. Senator Obama worked with Senator Lugar to ensure that funding was appropriated for the Lugar-Obama nonproliferation initiative.

Senator Obama also joined with Senator Hagel (R-NE) to introduce a broad bill that seeks to prevent nuclear terrorism, reduce global nuclear arsenals, and stop the spread of nuclear weapons and related technology. One provision, which was signed into law as part of the FY08 omnibus appropriations bill, requires the President to submit to Congress a comprehensive plan for ensuring that all nuclear weapons and weapons-usable material at vulnerable sites around the world are secure by 2012 to keep them out of the hands of terrorists.

Senator Obama has called for the United States to bolster its efforts to help Israel achieve peace with its neighbors, including working toward a two-state solution with the Palestinians, while ensuring Israel can defend itself against those who oppose this vision. He believes that the starting point for this effort should always be a clear and strong commitment to the security of Israel, our strongest ally in the region and its only established democracy, and to the survival of Israel as a Jewish state. Senator Obama traveled to Iraq, Kuwait, Jordan, Israel, and the Palestinian territories in 2006 and met with Israeli and Palestinian leaders to expand his understanding of the challenges that confront the region. He outlined his positions on key issues related to the Middle East in his remarks to AIPAC in 2007.

Senator Obama has been a leading voice urging the end of genocide in Sudan. He worked with Senator Sam Brownback (R-KS) on the Darfur Peace and Accountability Act, a version of which was signed into law. Senator Obama has traveled to the United Nations to meet with Sudanese officials and visited refugee camps on the Chad-Sudan border to raise international awareness of the ongoing humanitarian disaster there. Working with Senator Harry Reid (D-NV), Senator Obama secured $20 million for the African Union peacekeeping mission.

Senator Obama wrote and passed legislation to build on the historic election in the Congo and promote stability in the country. Senator Obama revamped U.S. policy in the Congo to include a commitment to help rebuild the country, develop lasting political structures, hold accountable destabilizing foreign governments, crack down on corrupt politicians, and professionalize the military. The bill also authorizes $52 million in U.S. assistance for the Congo, calls for a Special U.S. Envoy to resolve ongoing violence, and urges the administration to strengthen the U.N. peacekeeping force.

Senator Obama is committed to fighting the spread of HIV/AIDS, treating those already infected, and finding a cure. He has been a strong advocate for adequate funding for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Senator Obama has also played a direct role in promoting HIV testing, which is critical for prevention and treatment programs. During a two-week tour of Africa in 2006, Senator Obama took an HIV test in a public venue in Kenya. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that tens of thousands of Kenyans will get tested for AIDS as a result of Senator Obama's actions.

Senator Obama has advocated for a policy of pressuring the Mugabe regime to allow Zimbabweans to pursue their hopes for legitimate political change without fear of violent repercussions. He introduced a resolution in March 2007 that condemned the Zimbabwean government for repressive and violent actions against its people. The Obama resolution was passed by the Senate in July 2007.

Senator Obama has worked to hold former Liberian President Charles Taylor accountable for his reprehensible actions. After assuming the presidency following a brutal civil war that decimated Liberia's population, Taylor created a rebel group that fought in neighboring Sierra Leone's civil war and committed a range of atrocities including rape, murder and the use of child soldiers. On July 19, 2005, Senator Obama passed a bipartisan amendment, along with Senators Chuck Hagel, Patrick Leahy, and Judd Gregg to provide $13 million for the Special Court for Sierra Leone. Signed into law in November 2005, the Obama amendment provides critical funding to keep the Court up and running and dramatically enhances efforts to bring Taylor to justice.

Senator Obama has advocated for a more effective U.S. strategy to help those around the world who live in extreme poverty. In December 2007, he worked with Senators Chuck Hagel and Maria Cantwell to introduce the Global Poverty Act, which requires the President to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to reduce extreme global poverty in half by 2015 through aid, trade, debt relief, and coordination with the international community, businesses and non-governmental organizations. Senator Obama is working to get the bill, which was reported favorably out of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in February 2008, passed in the Senate.

Your turn.

Please provide a detailed narrative, with specific examples of Sarah Pitbull Palin's foreign policy experience.

This is a partial list, which doesn't include all the world leaders he's met with:

Your turn.

Please provide a detailed narrative, with specific examples of Sarah Pitbull Palin's foreign policy experience.
would you be so kind as to post the link from the site you Copy & pasted that from?

i do believe that IS the "fair use" policy of this board

Thats enough...right?

Much has been made of Palins foreign policy experience, not so much because its lacking, but more because of the absurd, idiotic, and outlandish comments from her and the McCain camp in their attempts to show that she has experience.

Absolutely beautifully written!! :lol:

Thats enough...right?

buy a map

This is a partial list, which doesn't include all the world leaders he's met with.

Having an opinion is not foreign policy experience.

Getting an HIV test is not foreign policy experience

Adding ones name to someone elses legislation is not foreign policy experience.

Google "Obama, Congo" and see what you get. Powerful legislation there. Here was my favorite entitled

"Fewer Obama bills not such a bad thing":

Most think Barack Obama's time as a U.S. senator has been unproductive. In fact, his vice presidential running mate Joe Biden said on Dec. 31, 2007, at a campaign event in Ames, Iowa, "Barack Obama hasn't passed any bills." Actually Biden is wrong: Among Obama's 152 sponsored and co-sponsored bills in 2005-06, two actually passed. They were a bill that sought to promote democracy in Congo and a bill that renamed the East St. Louis Illinois post office.

We then, of course, have the bill sponsored by Obama and co-sponsored by Biden called the Global Poverty Act. The legislation would commit the United States to spending 0.7 percent of gross national product on foreign aid, which amounts to a phenomenal 13-year total of $845 billion over and above what the United States already spends.
Do Obama and Biden think the American people have an endless money tree? America already supports and donates more than any other country toward poverty relief around the world.

Voters, get educated, as this election has more at stake than any in history — and not just because of the race and gender factors.

Peter Hyman Link

Thanks for pointing to the Global Poverty Act, which would cost American taxpayers more than the bail-out as an example of Obama's foreign policy judgement.

Last edited:

Barack Obama sits on the following committees:

Member, Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
Chairman, Subcommittee on European Affairs
Member, Subcommittee on African Affairs
Member, Subcommittee on East Asian and Pacific Affairs
Member, Subcommittee on International Development and Foreign Assistance, Economic Affairs and International Environmental Protection
Member, Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Member, Subcommittee on Children and Families
Member, Subcommittee on Employment and Workplace Safety
Member, Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Member, Subcommittee on Ad Hoc Subcommittee on State, Local, and Private Sector Preparedness and Integration
Member, Subcommittee on Investigations
Member, Subcommittee on Federal Financial Management, Government Information, Federal Services, and International Security
Member, Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs

Member, Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
Chairman, Subcommittee on European Affairs
Member, Subcommittee on African Affairs
Member, Subcommittee on East Asian and Pacific Affairs
Member, Subcommittee on International Development and Foreign Assistance, Economic Affairs and International Environmental Protection
Member, Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Member, Subcommittee on Children and Families
Member, Subcommittee on Employment and Workplace Safety
Member, Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Member, Subcommittee on Ad Hoc Subcommittee on State, Local, and Private Sector Preparedness and Integration
Member, Subcommittee on Investigations
Member, Subcommittee on Federal Financial Management, Government Information, Federal Services, and International Security
Member, Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs

Then send him a bracelet.:eusa_dance: I hear he needs a new one.

And sits and sits and sits....he's the Maytag repairman of the senate "Call me if you need me."

maytag.jpg

Last edited:
And sits and sits and sits....he's the Maytag repairman of the senate "Call me if you need me."

maytag.jpg

Oh, then do tell us what foreign experience consists of, and the specific examples of Palins experience that you were asked about (and ignored).

He's been to the Chinatown Market in Chicago, saw Mexico from El Paso and got his birth certificate forged in Hawaii. Oh, and he spoke to a bunch of drunk Germans once.

Almost forgot about Kenya! Can't forget Kenya!

He's been to the Chinatown Market in Chicago, saw Mexico from El Paso and got his birth certificate forged in Hawaii. Oh, and he spoke to a bunch of drunk Germans once.

Almost forgot about Kenya! Can't forget Kenya!

No, sorry, those type of asinine reasons are more similar to the actual reasons that Palin gives for her foreign policy experience.

Oh, and do lay off the koolaid. Birth certificate forged? Utter bullshit.

Forum List

Back