Senator McCain Stands Up to Be the Parental Voice of the Senate

I'm pretty sure McCain won't be around to see the kind of mass replacement of jobs that you're talking about.....hell, I have my doubts that I will be, either, and I could easily live another 40-50 years. :lol:

I understand your skepticism, but progress on Strong AI and autonomous robots are very far long in development.

Sabina, A Robot Domestic Learns When You Show Her

Robots being developed that have a 'brain' and can learn new things like a human child

Certainly interesting, but I don't think that indicates we're close to seeing robots doing most human jobs. For example, look at the ASIMO from the video. That was a 25 year project by Honda, and the robot was first created in 2000. We're nearly 4 decades from when that project was started, and robots aren't wandering around the average suburbanite's home yet. :p

Automation will continue to increase, I just think that while we often hope for lightning fast changes, it tends to be an incremental process.

Certainly interesting, but I don't think that indicates we're close to seeing robots doing most human jobs. For example, look at the ASIMO from the video. That was a 25 year project by Honda, and the robot was first created in 2000. We're nearly 4 decades from when that project was started, and robots aren't wandering around the average suburbanite's home yet. :p

Automation will continue to increase, I just think that while we often hope for lightning fast changes, it tends to be an incremental process.
Did you see the report where the Obama WH claimed that within, I think it was, 20 years, 50% of all jobs will be done by robots?

And they were not referring to jobs that have ALREADY been taken by robots, lol.

Did you see the report where the Obama WH claimed that within, I think it was, 20 years, 50% of all jobs will be done by robots?

And they were not referring to jobs that have ALREADY been taken by robots, lol.

Hah! I need to look that up. :)

Here's what I found. It's not quite saying 50% in 2 decades, rather that "Researchers’ estimates on the scale of threatened jobs over the next decade or two range from 9% to 47%."

White House: Robots may take half of our jobs, and we should embrace it

I am not a john McCain fan, in fact I think he is a traitor, collaborator and corporate crony sell out.

But he has stepped up to remind US Senators of their obligation to the people of the US and our Republic in a great speech that might well go down as the 21st centuries version of the Gettysburg address.

Senator McCain, you have earned my respect, and my apology for being brash toward you in the past, though what I said was still true.

You have shown yourself to be the man with the best vision of what our Senate is supposed to be and can be and how it best can serve the American people.

Full text of John McCain's Senate floor speech: 'Let’s return to regular order'

“Mr. President:

“I’ve stood in this place many times and addressed as president many presiding officers. I have been so addressed when I have sat in that chair, as close as I will ever be to a presidency.

“It is an honorific we’re almost indifferent to, isn’t it. In truth, presiding over the Senate can be a nuisance, a bit of a ceremonial bore, and it is usually relegated to the more junior members of the majority.

“But as I stand here today – looking a little worse for wear I’m sure – I have a refreshed appreciation for the protocols and customs of this body, and for the other ninety-nine privileged souls who have been elected to this Senate.

“I have been a member of the United States Senate for thirty years. I had another long, if not as long, career before I arrived here, another profession that was profoundly rewarding, and in which I had experiences and friendships that I revere. But make no mistake, my service here is the most important job I have had in my life. And I am so grateful to the people of Arizona for the privilege – for the honor – of serving here and the opportunities it gives me to play a small role in the history of the country I love.

“I’ve known and admired men and women in the Senate who played much more than a small role in our history, true statesmen, giants of American politics. They came from both parties, and from various backgrounds. Their ambitions were frequently in conflict. They held different views on the issues of the day. And they often had very serious disagreements about how best to serve the national interest.

“But they knew that however sharp and heartfelt their disputes, however keen their ambitions, they had an obligation to work collaboratively to ensure the Senate discharged its constitutional responsibilities effectively. Our responsibilities are important, vitally important, to the continued success of our Republic. And our arcane rules and customs are deliberately intended to require broad cooperation to function well at all. The most revered members of this institution accepted the necessity of compromise in order to make incremental progress on solving America’s problems and to defend her from her adversaries.

“That principled mindset, and the service of our predecessors who possessed it, come to mind when I hear the Senate referred to as the world’s greatest deliberative body. I’m not sure we can claim that distinction with a straight face today.

“I’m sure it wasn’t always deserved in previous eras either. But I’m sure there have been times when it was, and I was privileged to witness some of those occasions.

“Our deliberations today – not just our debates, but the exercise of all our responsibilities – authorizing government policies, appropriating the funds to implement them, exercising our advice and consent role – are often lively and interesting. They can be sincere and principled. But they are more partisan, more tribal more of the time than any other time I remember. Our deliberations can still be important and useful, but I think we’d all agree they haven’t been overburdened by greatness lately. And right now they aren’t producing much for the American people.

“Both sides have let this happen. Let’s leave the history of who shot first to the historians. I suspect they’ll find we all conspired in our decline – either by deliberate actions or neglect. We’ve all played some role in it. Certainly I have. Sometimes, I’ve let my passion rule my reason. Sometimes, I made it harder to find common ground because of something harsh I said to a colleague. Sometimes, I wanted to win more for the sake of winning than to achieve a contested policy.

“Incremental progress, compromises that each side criticize but also accept, just plain muddling through to chip away at problems and keep our enemies from doing their worst isn’t glamorous or exciting. It doesn’t feel like a political triumph. But it’s usually the most we can expect from our system of government, operating in a country as diverse and quarrelsome and free as ours.

“Considering the injustice and cruelties inflicted by autocratic governments, and how corruptible human nature can be, the problem solving our system does make possible, the fitful progress it produces, and the liberty and justice it preserves, is a magnificent achievement.

“Our system doesn’t depend on our nobility. It accounts for our imperfections, and gives an order to our individual strivings that has helped make ours the most powerful and prosperous society on earth. It is our responsibility to preserve that, even when it requires us to do something less satisfying than ‘winning.’ Even when we must give a little to get a little. Even when our efforts manage just three yards and a cloud of dust, while critics on both sides denounce us for timidity, for our failure to ‘triumph.’

“I hope we can again rely on humility, on our need to cooperate, on our dependence on each other to learn how to trust each other again and by so doing better serve the people who elected us. Stop listening to the bombastic loudmouths on the radio and television and the Internet. To hell with them. They don’t want anything done for the public good. Our incapacity is their livelihood.

“Let’s trust each other. Let’s return to regular order. We’ve been spinning our wheels on too many important issues because we keep trying to find a way to win without help from across the aisle. That’s an approach that’s been employed by both sides, mandating legislation from the top down, without any support from the other side, with all the parliamentary maneuvers that requires.
Well, said Senator McCain, well said.
Did you trust the asshole to vote to keep obummercare?

That's because the Republicans and democrats ARE what is wrong with our healthcare system.

I disagree. What's wrong with our health care system is the chargemaster, which is how providers and insurers increase their profit margins. The chargemaster has nothing to do with government.

The coming Robotic Revolution is going to be more extreme change to our society and economy than any previous tech era.
Unemployment at around 85% and a fixation on job mongering policies will turn everything upside down at minimum.

Precisely why we need to start looking at a Universal Basic Income.

His voting record proves he has no interest in what's best for America, and hasn't in decades.

He sold his soul after the 2000 primary and hasn't been the same since. To throw your lot in with the folks who slandered you so terribly, and then to foist that mouth-breather from Alaska into the mainstream political scene isn't something I think you can overcome.

How pathetic do you have to be to not vote to repeal legislation that's named after the candidate you lost to in a presidential election?

Most of these Senators have been in politics for too long. 80 year old McCain, 75 year old McConnell, the ugly ass hoe from Maine.

At that age you're more focused on what's in today's newspaper and how to get the TV antenna to work.

McCain will be dead within two years.

There should be a maximum age for legislators.

I am not a john McCain fan, in fact I think he is a traitor, collaborator and corporate crony sell out.

But he has stepped up to remind US Senators of their obligation to the people of the US and our Republic in a great speech that might well go down as the 21st centuries version of the Gettysburg address.

Senator McCain, you have earned my respect, and my apology for being brash toward you in the past, though what I said was still true.

You have shown yourself to be the man with the best vision of what our Senate is supposed to be and can be and how it best can serve the American people.

Full text of John McCain's Senate floor speech: 'Let’s return to regular order'

“Mr. President:

“I’ve stood in this place many times and addressed as president many presiding officers. I have been so addressed when I have sat in that chair, as close as I will ever be to a presidency.

“It is an honorific we’re almost indifferent to, isn’t it. In truth, presiding over the Senate can be a nuisance, a bit of a ceremonial bore, and it is usually relegated to the more junior members of the majority.

“But as I stand here today – looking a little worse for wear I’m sure – I have a refreshed appreciation for the protocols and customs of this body, and for the other ninety-nine privileged souls who have been elected to this Senate.

“I have been a member of the United States Senate for thirty years. I had another long, if not as long, career before I arrived here, another profession that was profoundly rewarding, and in which I had experiences and friendships that I revere. But make no mistake, my service here is the most important job I have had in my life. And I am so grateful to the people of Arizona for the privilege – for the honor – of serving here and the opportunities it gives me to play a small role in the history of the country I love.

“I’ve known and admired men and women in the Senate who played much more than a small role in our history, true statesmen, giants of American politics. They came from both parties, and from various backgrounds. Their ambitions were frequently in conflict. They held different views on the issues of the day. And they often had very serious disagreements about how best to serve the national interest.

“But they knew that however sharp and heartfelt their disputes, however keen their ambitions, they had an obligation to work collaboratively to ensure the Senate discharged its constitutional responsibilities effectively. Our responsibilities are important, vitally important, to the continued success of our Republic. And our arcane rules and customs are deliberately intended to require broad cooperation to function well at all. The most revered members of this institution accepted the necessity of compromise in order to make incremental progress on solving America’s problems and to defend her from her adversaries.

“That principled mindset, and the service of our predecessors who possessed it, come to mind when I hear the Senate referred to as the world’s greatest deliberative body. I’m not sure we can claim that distinction with a straight face today.

“I’m sure it wasn’t always deserved in previous eras either. But I’m sure there have been times when it was, and I was privileged to witness some of those occasions.

“Our deliberations today – not just our debates, but the exercise of all our responsibilities – authorizing government policies, appropriating the funds to implement them, exercising our advice and consent role – are often lively and interesting. They can be sincere and principled. But they are more partisan, more tribal more of the time than any other time I remember. Our deliberations can still be important and useful, but I think we’d all agree they haven’t been overburdened by greatness lately. And right now they aren’t producing much for the American people.

“Both sides have let this happen. Let’s leave the history of who shot first to the historians. I suspect they’ll find we all conspired in our decline – either by deliberate actions or neglect. We’ve all played some role in it. Certainly I have. Sometimes, I’ve let my passion rule my reason. Sometimes, I made it harder to find common ground because of something harsh I said to a colleague. Sometimes, I wanted to win more for the sake of winning than to achieve a contested policy.

“Incremental progress, compromises that each side criticize but also accept, just plain muddling through to chip away at problems and keep our enemies from doing their worst isn’t glamorous or exciting. It doesn’t feel like a political triumph. But it’s usually the most we can expect from our system of government, operating in a country as diverse and quarrelsome and free as ours.

“Considering the injustice and cruelties inflicted by autocratic governments, and how corruptible human nature can be, the problem solving our system does make possible, the fitful progress it produces, and the liberty and justice it preserves, is a magnificent achievement.

“Our system doesn’t depend on our nobility. It accounts for our imperfections, and gives an order to our individual strivings that has helped make ours the most powerful and prosperous society on earth. It is our responsibility to preserve that, even when it requires us to do something less satisfying than ‘winning.’ Even when we must give a little to get a little. Even when our efforts manage just three yards and a cloud of dust, while critics on both sides denounce us for timidity, for our failure to ‘triumph.’

“I hope we can again rely on humility, on our need to cooperate, on our dependence on each other to learn how to trust each other again and by so doing better serve the people who elected us. Stop listening to the bombastic loudmouths on the radio and television and the Internet. To hell with them. They don’t want anything done for the public good. Our incapacity is their livelihood.

“Let’s trust each other. Let’s return to regular order. We’ve been spinning our wheels on too many important issues because we keep trying to find a way to win without help from across the aisle. That’s an approach that’s been employed by both sides, mandating legislation from the top down, without any support from the other side, with all the parliamentary maneuvers that requires.
Well, said Senator McCain, well said.

What he did was grandstand.

McCain has all time low approval ratings from the voters of his own party, the president, and probably members of his own peers within the chambers of the Senate.

The only "high" support ratings he has is from, you guessed it... Democrats.

Thanks to this loser, we had 8 years of Obama because he's not a true Republican.

McCain has all time low approval ratings from the voters of his own party, the president, and probably members of his own peers within the chambers of the Senate.

Thanks to this loser, we had 8 years of Obama because he's not a true Republican.

How did McCain lead to 8 years of Obama? At best, I can see claiming it led to 4 of those years......

If McCain lost because he is not a true Republican, does that mean Trump won because he is a true Republican?

How did McCain lead to 8 years of Obama? At best, I can see claiming it led to 4 of those years......

If McCain lost because he is not a true Republican, does that mean Trump won because he is a true Republican?

If Obama lost, he would've given up after the first time.

And yes, right side (including myself) don't want a "Republican" in office who secretly wants to be a Democrat.

Senator McCain is doing great harm to his legacy and it's sad to watch. He is angry at the president and it is at a fever pitch. Senator McCain has more to lose than Trump. I wish he could see that.

Forum List

Back