Senator McCain promises to ‘get’ Bin Laden

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Nevadamedic, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Nevadamedic

Nevadamedic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +178
    DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, vowed Wednesday that if he were president he would “get” Osama bin Laden.

“As president of the United States I will get him,” McCain said. “I’ll bring bin Laden to justice, I promise you.”

The comments came during an event at an AmVets Hall in Iowa, a stop on the senator’s “No Surrender” tour across the early voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.

Referring to bin Laden’s ability to reach millions of potential followers through his videos, McCain said, “Do not underestimate the influence of Osama bin Laden. That’s why I say we have to get him.”

When asked who or what is to blame for the fact that bin Laden is still free, McCain cited a failure of U.S. intelligence capabilities and the Clinton administration’s failure to attack “when they knew where he was.”

“I’m sorry to tell you that our human intelligence capabilities are still very badly lacking,” he added.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...%99-bin-laden/

I think Senator McCain is the only person in this election that can keep this promise. He has the leadership and military command experience to carry this out. He is clearly the best candidate we have.

2. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    General Plays Down Value Of Capturing Bin Laden

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
    Saturday, February 24, 2007; A08

FORT WORTH, Feb. 23 -- The Army's highest-ranking officer said Friday that he was unsure whether the U.S. military would capture or kill Osama bin Laden, adding, "I don't know that it's all that important, frankly."

"So we get him, and then what?" asked Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker, the outgoing Army chief of staff, at a Rotary Club of Fort Worth luncheon. "There's a temporary feeling of goodness, but in the long run, we may make him bigger than he is today.

"He's hiding, and he knows we're looking for him. We know he's not particularly effective. I'm not sure there's that great of a return" on capturing or killing bin Laden.

Schoomaker pointed to the capture of Saddam Hussein, the killings of his sons, Uday and Qusay, and the killing of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi as evidence that the capture or death of al-Qaeda's leader would have little effect on threats to the United States.

Days after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, President Bush said he wanted bin Laden "dead or alive," and then-Secretary of State Colin L. Powell said, "It is not enough to get one individual, although we'll start with that one individual."

Bush reaffirmed the goal last September in a prime-time speech, warning bin Laden: "No matter how long it takes, America will find you, and we will bring you to justice."

But Schoomaker's remarks echoed comments last year by Vice President Cheney, who seemed to play down the value of capturing or killing bin Laden days before the Bush speech. "He's not the only source of the problem, obviously. . . . If you killed him tomorrow, you'd still have a problem with al-Qaeda," the vice president said.

Schoomaker, who is due to be replaced as chief of staff in April by Gen. George W. Casey Jr., commanded the U.S. Special Operations Command before becoming chief of staff. Special operations personnel have been leading the hunt for bin Laden along the mountainous border between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    McCain is reduced to bluster?

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,000
    Your damn wishy washy, whats this? The 4th person you have said should be President? You know we legally only get one vote right?

5. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    hey that was actually funny..

6. Nevadamedic

Nevadamedic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Actually I was for McCain in the beginning and then he pissed me off and I went for Hunter\Tancredo but I realize that McCain is the best choice we have and he is the only chance we have at beating the Clinton Campaign Machine. I would love to see Hunter as his runningmate.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Aside from bringing another criminal to justice, the actual importance of capturing bin Laden is minimal. Al Qaeda is an ideal, not just an organization. Capturing or killing one man is not going to hurt it. He'll be replaced before his body's cold.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    eots ...

Please provide a link for the article.

Thank you,

Gunny

9. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    ya and what might you "realize"next week...........FLIP FLOPER!!!............ JUST KIDDING...........sort of

10. Detmurds

Detmurds VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Folks, keep in mind, not catching bin Laden is one of the bullets that the Dems hold against G W Bush. So it would be something to brag about if one thinks about it.