Senator Joe Manchin Ready For Gun Control Action: 'Everything Should Be On The Table'

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Amanda Terkel

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), one of the strongest backers of the National Rifle Association (NRA) in the Democratic Party, said it is time to sit down and have a "sensible, reasonable" debate about gun control in light of the massacre in Newtown, Conn., and expressed an openness to banning assault weapons.

"It's time to move beyond rhetoric. We need to sit down and have a common-sense discussion and move in a reasonable way. ... Everything has to be on the table," Manchin said in an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Monday, adding that he had just come from deer hunting with his family.

Manchin's comments are significant because he has an "A" rating from the NRA for his pro-gun positions, and the organization endorsed him as recently as October 2012.

"Joe Manchin is committed to protecting the Right to Keep and Bear Arms guaranteed to all Americans," NRA Chairman Chris Cox said.

Manchin also appears to be the first senator with an "A" rating from the NRA to go on national television in the wake of the Newtown shooting. On Sunday, David Gregory of NBC's "Meet the Press" said all 31 "pro-gun rights" senators in the new Congress turned down his request to appear on the show. CBS's "Face the Nation" said it ran into a similar problem. Manchin spokeswoman Emily Bittner told The Huffington Post their office had no record of "Meet the Press" reaching out to interview the senator on Sunday.

In Monday's interview, Manchin was critical of assault rifles, saying no hunter needs a weapon like that, although he didn't explicitly say he would back Sen. Dianne Feinstein's (D-Calif.) ban on such weapons, which she has said she will introduce in the new year.

"I don't know anyone who in the hunting or sporting arena that goes out with an assault rifle. I don't know anybody that needs 30 rounds in the clip to go hunting," Manchin said. "I mean, these are things that need to be talked about."

While the NRA has always opposed such a ban in the past, Manchin said he believed the nature of the tragedy in Newtown changed the landscape.

More: Joe Manchin Ready For Gun Control Action: 'Everything Should Be On The Table'

cold-dead_hands.jpg

Everything but the constitution that is...

Bullshit. The Supreme Court has already ruled on that. The government does indeed have the ability to ban certain weopons from sale or ownership by the general population.

When do you stop? I can draw a weight....what do you want? Do you want me stop hunting with bow?

How fucked up are you? Do you want me to stop fishing? Where are you going to draw the line?

What would satiate you? What would make you happy?

Last edited:
Sice you are ignorant - I'll give you the benefit of doubt: The right to bare arms is primarily afforded so there is a strong militia to guard against tyranny. As the arm evolution progresses, it is intuative that the populus must bare modern rifles to preserve the balance.

Everything on the table eh? Cant agree with that. The Constitution will not be on the table.

However, I think his resignation should be. After all, if he wants to take away our rights affirmed by our Constitution contrary to his oath to uphold and protect the Constitution, then he needs to be replaced by someone who will keep their oath.

New Topics

Forum List

Back