Senator Favor Pay Increases For Themselves, Not Others

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Itsthetruth, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Itsthetruth

Itsthetruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    SENATORS STEP ON WORKERS
    by Jim Hightower
    3/25/2005

Today, I've got a whole gaggle of Goobers for you – each of them a U.S. Senator! These are the 49 Solons who recently voted to kill an increase in America's minimum wage, which has been stuck at $5.15 an hour since 1996. That comes out to about $10,500 a year for full time work! Try making ends meet on that, as millions of Americans now have to do.

"No," shouted the 49 senators, all Republicans. One of these Gooberheads, Mike Enzi, even tried imposing his right-wing standard of ideological correctness on this issue: "Wages do not cause sales," he intoned. "Sales are needed to provide wages. Wages do not cause revenue. Revenue drives wages." How impressive. How wrong.

First, what does Enzi think people use to make purchases? Wages, of course. Raise wages of working families and – guess what? – sales go up in local businesses. Second, maybe Enzi has been out of touch with the non-ideological world, but revenues of corporate employers have been going up for years – so why haven't wages?

To be fair though, the senators aren't entirely against wage increases. For example, they've raised their own pay every year for the last five years.

http://www.jimhightower.com/air/read.asp?id=11633

2. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Yeah. perhaps we shouldn't trust politicians with our retirement money, considering their general selfishness. Ya think?

3. Itsthetruth

Itsthetruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That might be rather difficult. It's almost impossible to find a "mainstream news source" that doesn't have a conservative bias but I will search. You have of course the White House TV network, FoxNews, and a gaggle of TV networks and daily newspapers that are not a whole lot better.

For example .... can you think of a single "mainstream" news source that has called for the withdrawl of U.S. troops from Iraq or that has even sharply questioned the continued occupation of Iraq?

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    The withdrawal from Iraq is a kook position, that's why. Considering the general success of the mission and the resultant proliferation of democracy in the mideast, only a kook would advocate withdrawing. Didn't they tell you in jr. high that the withdrawal method is ineffective and still carries the possibility of disease?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Bleh, there goes my ice cream!

6. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I have a serious question. Other than those that live in areas where the cost of living is low to begin with, does anybody know even one person that actually makes minimum wage?

In our area starting wages are much higher than minimum, and I could not point to even one kid in HS that makes actual minimum wage, let alone anybody "making a living" on such a wage. When they raise the minimum wage it is almost always below the starting wages in my area and nothing happens at all.

7. Itsthetruth

Itsthetruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Does that mean our soldiers should like getting screwed by insurgents in Iraq and the Bush government at home?

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    That's all you could come up with? You should have stayed in bed today.

9. Itsthetruth

Itsthetruth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps you ought to take a poll of U.S. troops in Iraq and their loved ones back home. I don't think very many would think bringing our soldiers home is a "nutty" idea that they would oppose.

But, that's OK. You just go on believing that .... along with other right-wing nonsense.

Put your tin-foil hats on! Drink the corporate/government kool-aid!

10. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    ITT, to answer your original post, there are several GOP representatives and Senators who vote against the auto-pay raises each year. And there are many conservatives who complain about it each year. So you are (for once) in good company!

As far as the minimum wage goes, I have to agree with no1tovote4. The minimum wage is a starting wage for unskilled workers. People don't stay at the minimum wage; they gain skills, get better paying jobs, and raise their standard of living.

Moreover, increasing the minimum wage decreases the number of jobs available. So, by increasing the minimum wage, more low-wage earners would be thrown out on the street. Is that really what you want for America's poor?