Senator criticizes Obama's 'audacity' in using GOP as 'props'

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
A GOP senator ripped into President Barack Obama at a meeting on Capitol Hill Tuesday, telling him he had “audacity” coming in and using Republican lawmakers as "props."

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), the Democrats’ partner on Wall Street reform, criticized Obama during a meeting the president requested with the Senate Republican conference to court their support for the remaining initiatives on his agenda.

After the meeting, GOP senators said they appreciated the outreach.

But behind closed doors, the president faced a hostile crowd of angry Republicans, led by Corker.

“I said, ‘I got to tell you something, there’s a degree of audacity in you being here today,’” Corker said, recalling his exchange with the president.

“If you look at your three major initiatives they were almost all done on party-line votes,” Corker told Obama. “I feel we’re all props here today.

Senator criticizes Obama's 'audacity' in using GOP as 'props' - TheHill.com

“Just last week you engineered a very partisan vote,” Corker added. “I would just like for you to explain to me, when you get up in the morning, and when you come over to lunch like this, how you reconcile that duplicity.”

“It hit a nerve, obviously,” Corker said, describing Obama’s reaction to the broadside

I'm betting the "F" bomb went off in obie wan's brain a couple of times. :eusa_shhh:

They don't seem so poor to me. Looking hymn right in the eye and telling him what a miserable failure he is.. sounds like fun.. :lol::lol:

and then it's my understanding he had to fly out to californication to try and save barbara boxer'x arse! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Awe. Poor things.

The Audacity!!!
Have no fear!

BONER WORLD'S here!!!!!!!!!!

"Republicans want to take over the House in the fall, but there's a problem: They don't have an agenda.

So on Tuesday, they set out to resolve that shortcoming. They announced that they would solicit suggestions on the Internet, then have members of the public give the ideas a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down. Call it the "Dancing With the Stars" model of public policy.

"I would expect the ideas that come out of this Web site and the involvement of our members will lead to ideas that we can attempt to implement today," House Minority Leader John Boehner (Ohio) proclaimed. "We want to continue to offer better solutions to address the problems that America is facing, and we see this as a giant step forward, directly engaging the American people in the development of those solutions."
Have I mentioned lately how much I hate your gimmicky posting style?

Ferchrissakes it's irritating.

They don't seem so poor to me. Looking hymn right in the eye and telling him what a miserable failure he is.. sounds like fun.. :lol::lol:
Wasn't it you who said just a few posts ago "He is so unremarkable he's hardly worth mentioning anymore."

:lol: He's all over that space in your head sista.

Tsk.

LOL

yep,, that's exactly what I said. In my head? No, he's in the headlines. As a miserable conniving failure not to mention fool.. :lol::lol::lol:

Sen. Corker's fine in my book. At least I get the feeling he actually cares about his constituents and their concerns.

I've sent both my Senators e-mails stating my opinion on issues and/or asking other information. I've never received a satisfactory response on anything from one Senator. Got an almost instant, but short, response from said Senator - including one response that was so completely off the subject I replied: "Oops! Somebody pushed the wrong button."

Recently I sent a verbatim (cut and paste) e-mail to both of them. One responded in a couple days with squat to say.

Sen. Corker, on the other hand, has not been quick to respond (maybe a week or so later), but his responses have answered my concerns. This last time was no exception, but it was a long e-mail with paragraph by paragraph responses to each issue I raised.

Guess who I'll be voting for when re-election comes up.

Sen. Corker's fine in my book. At least I get the feeling he actually cares about his constituents and their concerns.

I've sent both my Senators e-mails stating my opinion on issues and/or asking other information. I've never received a satisfactory response on anything from one Senator. Got an almost instant, but short, response from said Senator - including one response that was so completely off the subject I replied: "Oops! Somebody pushed the wrong button."

Recently I sent a verbatim (cut and paste) e-mail to both of them. One responded in a couple days with squat to say.

Sen. Corker, on the other hand, has not been quick to respond (maybe a week or so later), but his responses have answered my concerns. This last time was no exception, but it was a long e-mail with paragraph by paragraph responses to each issue I raised.

Guess who I'll be voting for when re-election comes up.
Corker got elected mainly because he isn't Harold Ford.

“I said, ‘I got to tell you something, there’s a degree of audacity in you being here today,’” Corker said, recalling his exchange with the president.

“If you look at your three major initiatives they were almost all done on party-line votes,” Corker told Obama. “I feel we’re all props here today.

Props is not an effective comparison. Even props have some value

The GOP has proven itself to be worthless in shaping the TARP, Stimulus plan and healthcare initiatives.

Voting No means they are just spectators to history

A GOP senator ripped into President Barack Obama at a meeting on Capitol Hill Tuesday, telling him he had “audacity” coming in and using Republican lawmakers as "props."

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), the Democrats’ partner on Wall Street reform, criticized Obama during a meeting the president requested with the Senate Republican conference to court their support for the remaining initiatives on his agenda.

After the meeting, GOP senators said they appreciated the outreach.

But behind closed doors, the president faced a hostile crowd of angry Republicans, led by Corker.

The only thing that seems to have come out of that meeting was the president, afterwards, announced putting $500-million and 1,200 National Guard troops on the border. These two actions are shams, and he didn't even mention these details to the Republicans while in the meeting with them. He announced this after the meeting and they had no clue it was coming.

In the public's view, this gives him some cover that he's working with the other party on the illegal immigration while he's defending the border.

Twelve hundred NG on the border, which Senator Kyle of Arizona says will be doing desk jobs, even if stretched along the three-hundred-sixty mile border would only amount to one trooper every .3 plus miles, or since they don't operate alone, three troopers per mile. But, as Senator Kyle said they are to free up border patrol people. A lot of illegals can come across an open border within even a mile wide opening.

What will the $500-million be spent for? What should happen is we should press forward with the fence like was done in the San Diego area that diverted so much illegal traffic to the Arizona districts. That would be meaningful.

The canard that if you "build a 50' fence they will bring a 51' foot ladder" is nonsense. Ever try climbing a 50' ladder? Even a 50' fence would slow the flow to manageable levels because it would limit the that flow to identifiable points of entry which could be managed.

So definitely, the Republicans were just for a show of bi-partisanship on the part of the president, to render their complaints neutered on a critical issue on which he is losing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back