Senator Carl Levin: Bush was right.

PatekPhilippe

Jul 30, 2009
Sasebo Japan
Senator Carl Levin said history will prove George Bush correct in Iraq and with the surge strategy.

Huh??!!!!!!!

Looks like Crazy Carl is covering his ass!!! Must be election time again!!!!

"Senator Carl Levin said history will prove George Bush correct in Iraq and with the surge strategy
."

Taking some liberties there aren't you?
The inclusion of the simple word 'and' there -- doesn't belong.

And Context is everything:

"LEVIN: Well, first of all, I thought that the comments of the former vice president were totally out of bounds. I don't think he has any credibility left with the American people in any event.

But I think it's really wrong for the vice — former vice president of the United States to be talking as he did about the president dithering, because the president needs to reach the right decision.

President Bush took three months in considering whether or not to surge troops in Iraq. When he made a decision to surge those troops, he overruled the recommendation of his commander on the ground, General Casey, who was opposed to sending in more troops at that time.

I think that history will show that President Bush reached the right decision. It wasn't the only cause for the improved situation in Iraq, to the extent it has improved. But nonetheless, he took the three months.

No one pressured President Bush at that time to reach a decision more quickly than he felt he could. And for — I think for some of the Republicans in general — and Senator Kyl is not one of those Republicans who is unduly pressing the president. I give Senator Kyl credit for not pressing the president the way Cheney and some of the Republicans have.

But it just is important the president reach the right decision. And this is a NATO decision. Right now we have Secretary Gates going over to NATO, talking to NATO allies. This is not just a decision of the United States and whether to send more troops. There is a lot more involved than just more troops.

There's a question of equipping the Afghan army. There's a question of reintegrating the lower-level Taliban. There's a number of issues that are involved here. The whole training mission is critical. We need our NATO allies on board.

And the president is taking the appropriate amount of time. I'm hoping he'll reach a right decision, which is to Afghanize this process much more than it has been."
Transcript: Sens. Levin, Kyl on 'FNS' - FOX News Sunday | Chris Wallace - FOXNews.com

"Senator Carl Levin said history will prove George Bush correct in Iraq and with the surge strategy
."

"LEVIN: Well, first of all, I thought that the comments of the former vice president were totally out of bounds. I don't think he has any credibility left with the American people in any event.

But I think it's really wrong for the vice — former vice president of the United States to be talking as he did about the president dithering, because the president needs to reach the right decision.

President Bush took three months in considering whether or not to surge troops in Iraq. When he made a decision to surge those troops, he overruled the recommendation of his commander on the ground, General Casey, who was opposed to sending in more troops at that time.

I think that history will show that President Bush reached the right decision. It wasn't the only cause for the improved situation in Iraq, to the extent it has improved. But nonetheless, he took the three months.

No one pressured President Bush at that time to reach a decision more quickly than he felt he could. And for — I think for some of the Republicans in general — and Senator Kyl is not one of those Republicans who is unduly pressing the president. I give Senator Kyl credit for not pressing the president the way Cheney and some of the Republicans have.

But it just is important the president reach the right decision. And this is a NATO decision. Right now we have Secretary Gates going over to NATO, talking to NATO allies. This is not just a decision of the United States and whether to send more troops. There is a lot more involved than just more troops.

There's a question of equipping the Afghan army. There's a question of reintegrating the lower-level Taliban. There's a number of issues that are involved here. The whole training mission is critical. We need our NATO allies on board.

And the president is taking the appropriate amount of time. I'm hoping he'll reach a right decision, which is to Afghanize this process much more than it has been."
Transcript: Sens. Levin, Kyl on 'FNS' - FOX News Sunday | Chris Wallace - FOXNews.com

I actually agree with you on this one (surprise, surprise :lol:). There are so many variables that have to be taken into consideration and it's just plain dumb to politicize it by either side. One of the things we are trying to do is get other coalition members to put more assets on the ground, reducing the need for large US troop build ups. They are part of this also but frequently expect us to do most of the dirty work.

Another debate on the war, one of the few things bush did semi-right. I guess the Liberals will never get over Bush doing what Clinton lacked the balls to do. its just a shame it took a 9/11 to wake us up.

Clinton really screwed up the Middle East, Carter Screwed up the Middle East, Reagan ran from Lebanon, Bush sr. did not finish the Job in Iraq, Obama so far has shown Obama is clueless.

Obama could not talk the Olympic committee into giving Chicago the games and Obama believes he can talk the Iranians into giving up nuclear weapons.

Obama being Sunni Moslem beleives he will bring peace and reconciliation between Sunni and Shia Moslems.

Senator Carl Levin said history will prove George Bush correct in Iraq and with the surge strategy.

Huh??!!!!!!!

I don't know if George Bush made the right decisions regarding Iraq, but, it seems to me anyways, that the world's future is probably better without Saddam's evil sons lurking in the wings ready to assume power in Iraq. Saddam had been burned enough times to have a little caution. His twisted sons were a different story.

Bush has been met with lot of unfair criticism. It still seems unpopular to express admiration for this great leader. I work as a teacher in an extremely poor, troubled area. Most of the teachers regard NCLB as the absolute worst thing for education. While I admit, there are some serious holes that need to be amended in regards to NCLB, overall its affects have been positive and far reaching, generally. A lot of teachers and administration are working their tails off to meet these goals. I believe this has led to harder working schools, and schools that rethink their delivery plans. The wholes within it are, that every school will be eventually guaranteed failure, as the goal that is set by government raises each year until it is 100%. There is no way a school can perform with 100& of its students passing. Also, while we are trying to keep up with Asia, we fail to acknowledge the creative power and industry that is unique to Americans. Americans are independent and powerful entrepreneurs. Our previous education system has taught us that. Asian schools tend to be rigid and within the box. Some of the most important goings on in the classroom, can never be measured by a standardized multiple choice test. Given this, I do agree at schools, there are many preoccupied teachers that don't teach as focused on the standards and don't spend as much time as they should. NCLB creates a sense of urgency, which is beneficial. It also ensures that schools teach the same material from district to district. This is helpful if a child moves, they will be learning the same material. I think the research has shown that students in poor socioeconomic areas have benefitted in terms of test scores from NCLB. In terms of the creative edge, I hope and pray teachers will find a way to include that. Additionally NCLB will need to include other subjects, or else they will continue to be forgotten in the classroom. It needs to find a way to test a bit more wholistically. In terms of criticism, teachers tend to criticize a bit irrationally, it is based more on emotion that raw facts.

As for Iraq, I am so grateful that President Bush held his grounds. Saddam had been playing games with us in terms of inspections for at least 10 years. We gave him too many chances. He is a man that can not be trusted. He had also proven his greed and desire for power over other countries by his invasion into Kuwait. I was surprised to find out that the only original foreign country that truly supported us was Britain. Perhaps the other countries had ulterior motives, they knew Saddam was a threat, but didn't want to spend the money, risk the political turmoil, etc. I am rather disturbed by the media's twisting of facts. I did not realize that chemical and biological warfare had been repeatedly found in Iraq. The man didn't deserve a second chance and the inspection process was not working. Have we learned nothing from Hitler or Napoleon? Some people you simply can't bargain with. You give Saddam an inch, he will take a mile. You better bet that will affect us here in the United States. We live in a global economy, and I don't simply mean oil. We can't hide on our little island over here like we did in the previous world wars. We learned that. Iraq is more stable that it has ever been. There is a democracy in the middle east and a strong ally.

So Bush was right once in deciding on a strategy that helped us out of the mess he decided to get us into...NICE!

Bush was right, but he did make mistakes. Going with the approach of a small force to oust Saddam and waiting so long to do the surge were his main mistakes. That doesn't mean we should of left Saddam in power with his continued belligerence over the years after the Gulf War as many of the Bush critics infer.

Oh yeah. Bush made mistakes as did every President preceding him and every President that follows him. He was right about the surge.

Huh??!!!!!!!

I don't know if George Bush made the right decisions regarding Iraq, but, it seems to me anyways, that the world's future is probably better without Saddam's evil sons lurking in the wings ready to assume power in Iraq. Saddam had been burned enough times to have a little caution. His twisted sons were a different story.

Strongly disagree. Saddam's son, while nuts, wouldn't have been puppets of the Iranians.

Huh??!!!!!!!

Strongly disagree. Saddam's son, while nuts, wouldn't have been puppets of the Iranians.

Yeah, don't look at the whole picture....just keep looking at that little rock in the picture. :cuckoo:

."

Well, whaddyaknow.

Another debate on the war, one of the few things bush did semi-right. I guess the Liberals will never get over Bush doing what Clinton lacked the balls to do. its just a shame it took a 9/11 to wake us up.

Clinton really screwed up the Middle East, Carter Screwed up the Middle East, Reagan ran from Lebanon, Bush sr. did not finish the Job in Iraq, Obama so far has shown Obama is clueless.

Obama could not talk the Olympic committee into giving Chicago the games and Obama believes he can talk the Iranians into giving up nuclear weapons.

Obama being Sunni Moslem beleives he will bring peace and reconciliation between Sunni and Shia Moslems.

troll-1.jpg

Forum List

Back