Senate urges Obama to pardon Jack Johnson

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
WASHINGTON - The Senate urged President Barack Obama Wednesday to pardon the late black heavyweight champion Jack Johnson, who was sent to prison nearly a century ago because of his romantic ties with a white woman.
Senators approved the resolution by voice vote; it now goes to the House.
Johnson became the first black heavyweight champion in 1908 — 100 years before Obama was elected the nation’s first black president. The boxer was convicted in 1913 of violating the Mann Act, which made it illegal to transport women across state lines for immoral purposes. The law has since been heavily amended, but has not been repealed.
Senate urges Obama to pardon black ex-champ - Other sports- nbcsports.msnbc.com

amended but not appeled? wtf?

Yeah, the Mann Law's still on the books. I believe it remains the basis for prosecuting individuals who cross state lines to pursue sexual relationships with minors in other states (even if they're above the age of consent in their own state), just in case RetardedGayInsurgent's interested in replacing the Prophet. :eusa_whistle:

It's not a bad law, but in the case of Jack Johnson its application was pretty obviously completely wrong.

I believe that the Mann Act is one way that the FEDS can get involved with cases involving interstate prostitution.

As such I think it, or something like it, is probably warranted.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back