Senate Unanimously Votes to Push Back Digital TV Transition

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
WASHINGTON -- The Senate on Monday voted unanimously to postpone the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting by four months to June 12 -- setting the stage for Congress to pass the proposal as early as Tuesday.

Monday's Senate vote is a big victory for the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress, who have been pushing for a delay amid growing concerns that too many Americans won't be ready for the currently scheduled Feb. 17 changeover.

The Nielsen Co. estimates that more than 6.5 million U.S. households that rely on analog television sets to pick up over-the-air broadcast signals could see their TV sets go dark next month if the transition is not postponed.

"Delaying the upcoming DTV switch is the right thing to do," said Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., author of the bill to push back the deadline. "I firmly believe that our nation is not yet ready to make this transition at this time."

Senate Unanimously Votes to Push Back Digital TV Transition - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

I suppose now we will have to borrow enough money to buy everybody a HD TV.

WASHINGTON -- The Senate on Monday voted unanimously to postpone the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting by four months to June 12 -- setting the stage for Congress to pass the proposal as early as Tuesday.

Monday's Senate vote is a big victory for the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress, who have been pushing for a delay amid growing concerns that too many Americans won't be ready for the currently scheduled Feb. 17 changeover.

The Nielsen Co. estimates that more than 6.5 million U.S. households that rely on analog television sets to pick up over-the-air broadcast signals could see their TV sets go dark next month if the transition is not postponed.

"Delaying the upcoming DTV switch is the right thing to do," said Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., author of the bill to push back the deadline. "I firmly believe that our nation is not yet ready to make this transition at this time."

Senate Unanimously Votes to Push Back Digital TV Transition - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

I suppose now we will have to borrow enough money to buy everybody a HD TV.

You mean I stole one that will be wortlhess for 4 months !!!!!!

Why are we transitioning to digital again? What's wrong with letting people watch TV with rabbit ears?

Hmm.. Two wars..economy in the tank...healthcare system in disarray... unemployment rising...education system falling behind ... and our illustrious Congress spends it's time worrying about people's access to television. You know, come to think of it, that was probably the best and safest thing for the nation that Congress could have spent the day working on. Maybe if we keep them busy with a honey do list, they won't have time to screw anything else up.

Hmm.. Two wars..economy in the tank...healthcare system in disarray... unemployment rising...education system falling behind ... and our illustrious Congress spends it's time worrying about people's access to television. You know, come to think of it, that was probably the best and safest thing for the nation that Congress could have spent the day working on. Maybe if we keep them busy with a honey do list, they won't have time to screw anything else up.

:clap2:

Hey---we got priorities ya know :lol:

like the repubs did for eight years?

might be. or might be it was something that needed to be addressed and it was easily remedied...unlike the morass left behind by the last admin.

Just sayin'

might be. or might be it was something that needed to be addressed and it was easily remedied...unlike the morass left behind by the last admin.

Just sayin'

Ya gotta point --without TV we might have a full blown rebellion on our hands

Just sayin'

Ya gotta point --without TV we might have a full blown rebellion on our hands

People might actually have to read. :lol:

wait a minute.

They have been advertising the big switch to digital for 2 years now right?

If people are too fucking dense to get a converter after that long then maybe they should read a book instead of watching more shit on the boob tube.

wait a minute.

If people are too fucking dense to get a converter after that long then maybe they should read a book instead of watching more shit on the boob tube.

I think the reason is they are "too poor" ?

wait a minute.

I think the reason is they are "too poor" ?

what about the whole government coupon give away

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

I think al lthat changed when we went broke :lol:

whats the reasoning in going digital

nice to know when my power goes out during a hurricane I cant watch tv on my portable...i gotta buy a new digital portable tv

No the problem is not just the converter. The lack of information sent to people about the antenna also. Most people didnt know that they will need a bowtie or dish antenna to get the signals. They were just told they needed the converter and thats it.

Putting aside the partisan shit, why exactly do we have to switch to all digital?

Is there some kind of money savings or is this something to make people buy digital TVS if they aren't on the cabal?

No the problem is not just the converter. The lack of information sent to people about the antenna also. Most people didnt know that they will need a bowtie or dish antenna to get the signals. They were just told they needed the converter and thats it.

i never knew that

Forum List

Back