Senate tinkering with Gun Sales

[Not found in mainstream]

Senator Frank R. Lautenberg

I'm hearing ammo sales are going crazy...

You heard right. Gun shows are standing room only. You can't even buy a crappy assault rifle without paying through the nose.

Oh no! Who's going to save the world from the giant goat??

Doom2CyberDemon.jpg

Am a licensed gun owner. Did not bother me to have my background checked in IN.

What many in the Congress are looking for (note the people listed in the link) is every way they can find to outlaw guns in America. That is what causes heavy push back from the public.

Were they to be rational about gun concerns, which (as a proof point) would include insisting that all existing control laws on the books throughout the nation be enforced to the letter, I doubt anyone would object to restricting gun show sales to persons with a license to carry. If it had to be restricted to in-state, that might also work.

We are no where near such a rational point and this kind of crap is just more of the same.

I personally don't and know of no one with a carry permit who trusts the anti-gun lobby. And their timing is convenient. You know, crazed returning vets and all.

Last edited:

What many in the Congress are looking for (note the people listed in the link) is every way they can find to outlaw guns in America. That is what causes heavy push back from the public.

Were they to be rational about gun concerns, which (as a proof point) would include insisting that all existing control laws on the books throughout the nation be enforced to the letter, I doubt anyone would object to restricting gun show sales to persons with a license to carry. If it had to be restricted to in-state, that might also work.

We are no where near such a rational point and this kind of crap is just more of the same.

I personally don't and know of no one with a carry permit who trusts the anti-gun lobby. And their timing is convenient. You know, crazed returning vets and all.

Fact is, in the most recent cases of firearms being used to commit crimes, the people possessing the firearms slipped through the judicial system. The courts aren't enforcing the laws. The legislatures don't need new rules. They need to ensure the courts enforce the ones we have.

Fact is, in the most recent cases of firearms being used to commit crimes, the people possessing the firearms slipped through the judicial system. The courts aren't enforcing the laws. The legislatures don't need new rules. They need to ensure the courts enforce the ones we have.

Then they could not have the sensational news stories they have to justify taking all guns away, which IS the plan.

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

In other words: Show your gun when it's time to use it (unless hunting or plinking, of course).

There are too many "macho" guys out there who love to talk about guns all day, but it's something else that's long and stiff that they'd rather handle.

It's no cliche'. The macho dudes love dudes.

In other words: Show your gun when it's time to use it (unless hunting or plinking, of course).

There are too many "macho" guys out there who love to talk about guns all day, but it's something else that's long and stiff that they'd rather handle.

Read my "user title." The best way to be.

I have had many conversations with people about the 2nd Amendment - some with those who oppose it. They say that people with guns can't be trusted, they are maniacs, possibly anti-government, etc.

Usually after about half an hour of talking with them I ask what they think of my arguments and how I appear to them. Once they say - almost always positive, I lift my shirt on the side and show them my gun.

Leaves them speechless.

Local background checks and a ban on assault rifles are both good ideas.

No one is going to take away anybody's guns nor should they.

You are half right.

Your are half wrong.

States with local background checks have less violent crime and fewer gun deaths.

Since the ban on assault rifles was lifted, there has been a rise in murders using these weapons.

You are half right.

Your are half wrong.

States with local background checks have less violent crime and fewer gun deaths.
Since the ban on assault rifles was lifted, there has been a rise in murders using these weapons.

california statistics would prove that statement incorrect.....

You are half right.

Your are half wrong.

california statistics would prove that statement incorrect.....

And I don't remember seeing assault rifles roaming the streets killing people.

I think there was actually a person using the rifle.

I'm not seeing your point. What's wrong with talking about guns? What's the difference between that and talking about anything else one is enthusiastic about or considers a hobby? And what is "macho" about discussing firearms?

How about you be so kind as to put one of YOUR hobbies on here so we can get a consensus regarding its "macho" and "dudes loving dudes" factor?

What a stupid statement to make.

Read my "user title." The best way to be.

I have had many conversations with people about the 2nd Amendment - some with those who oppose it. They say that people with guns can't be trusted, they are maniacs, possibly anti-government, etc.

Usually after about half an hour of talking with them I ask what they think of my arguments and how I appear to them. Once they say - almost always positive, I lift my shirt on the side and show them my gun.

Leaves them speechless.

Way to win an argument. :lol:

The sheer ignorance of the anti-gun crowd is nothing less than stunning. But hey, a little over half the voters that actually voted put Obama in office so go figure.

Local and Federal background checks are done here. You can't take your weapon home until it clears.

Banning "assault" weapons is sheer stupidity. I personally don't see the desire to have a military-style rifle, but the idea that one is somehow more dangerous than a non-military style rifle is nothing but hype.

Your pretending no one is trying to take away the right to own a firearm is shot down by the fact that this argument even takes place on a regular basis.

The sheer hyprocracy of the gun lobby is what is really stunning. There are far too many guns in the hands of people that should not be allowed within ten feet of a gun. There are far too many gun deaths in the US compared to other civilized nations that have a high gun ownership rate.

Failing to address these facts, just doing kneejerk reactions to the death toll that we are seeing, will only create a situation in which the anti-gun people will eventually dominate.

Local and Federal background checks are done here. You can't take your weapon home until it clears.

Banning "assault" weapons is sheer stupidity. I personally don't see the desire to have a military-style rifle, but the idea that one is somehow more dangerous than a non-military style rifle is nothing but hype.

Your pretending no one is trying to take away the right to own a firearm is shot down by the fact that this argument even takes place on a regular basis.

No, your arguement that such weopons are not more dangerous in the hands of the maniacs is what is hype. Most modern hunting weopons carry five shots. Most are mechanical actions. The military weopons out there carry as many as 100 shots in the magazine, and fire as rapidly as you can pull the trigger. When you are firing at point blank range and do not care who you hit, that type of weopon is far more dangerous than a mechanical action rifle with only five shots.

[Not found in mainstream]

Senator Frank R. Lautenberg

I'm hearing ammo sales are going crazy...

Lautenberg is a doddering old fool who continues to be re-elected (after having come out of retirement because "The Torch" torched himself) because he has a name that people recognize.

Senate Panel Defeats Bill on Gun Show Sales
Va. Tech Survivors Backed Measure

Sen. Henry L. Marsh III (D-Richmond), right, and Sen. R. Creigh Deeds (D-Bath) could not overcome opposition to gun control on the Senate Courts of Justice Committee. (By Steve Helber -- Associated Press)

By Sandhya Somashekhar
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 24, 2008; Page B01

RICHMOND, Jan. 23 -- A bill that would have restricted certain gun sales in Virginia and that had received passionate support from survivors of the Virginia Tech massacre was defeated by a Senate committee Wednesday, ending the major gun control effort of this year's General Assembly session.

The legislation had failed repeatedly over the years but had taken on a greater urgency this year because of the April 16 shootings. Supporters had said this year was their best chance of winning approval because of the Virginia Tech tragedy, and Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) had made it a priority.

But Republicans and rural Democrats on the Senate Courts of Justice Committee teamed up to reject the bill, which would have required background checks for buyers at gun shows. Sens. Richard L. Saslaw, Janet D. Howell and Linda T. "Toddy" Puller, Fairfax County Democrats, voted in favor of the bill, and Sen. Ken Cuccinelli II, a Fairfax Republican, voted against it.

Under current law, only people who buy guns from licensed dealers must be checked through the federal database that identifies convicted felons and others deemed a danger to the community. Between 22 percent and 35 percent of gun show vendors do not have licenses, Virginia State Police say.

Senate Panel Defeats Bill on Gun Show Sales - washingtonpost.com

Now if they want to close a "loophole", why don't they try closing THAT one?

You are half right.

Your are half wrong.

Dishonest. Murders are committed by weapons of convenience. Banning assault rifles would do nothing to deter murder. Murder with firearms represents only 39% of murders in the US. 9300 people were murdered by firearms in 2008. In contrast, 41,000+ were killed in traffic accidents. 565,000 died from cancer in 2008.

NationMaster - American Crime statistics

Here's one for you:

U.S. Suicide Rate Increases

Largest Increase Seen in Middle-Aged White Women

The rate of suicide in the United States is increased for the first time in a decade, according to a new report from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health’s Center for Injury Research and Policy. The increase in the overall suicide rate between 1999 and 2005 was due primarily to an increase in suicides among whites aged 40-64, with white middle-aged women experiencing the largest annual increase. Whereas the overall suicide rate rose 0.7 percent during this time period, the rate among middle-aged white men rose 2.7 percent annually and 3.9 percent among middle-aged women. By contrast, suicide in blacks decreased significantly over the study’s time period, and remained stable among Asian and Native Americans. The results are published online at the website of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine and will be published in the December print edition of the journal.

The researchers also conducted a detailed analysis of suicide methods across specific population groups. While firearms remain the predominant method, the rate of firearm suicides decreased during the study period. Suicide by hanging or suffocation increased markedly with a 6.3 percent annual increase among men, and a 2.3 percent annual increase among women. Hanging/suffocation accounted for 22 percent of all suicides by 2005, surpassing poisoning at 18 percent.

U.S. Suicide Rate Increases

In 2005, there were more than 32,000 suicides.

That murder by firearm number seems rather small in comparison to the others. People determined to commit murder are going to find a way, with our without a firearm.

Forum List

Back